What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nervous New builder seeking help in / around Atlanta?

kjowen

Well Known Member
Guys, I'm a newbe and in need of some tutoring on construction. My -14 wing kit has arrived and I have done my inventory. I've purchased a set of tools from Cleveland and in the process of learning what each tool does. I've never squeezed or bucked a rivet, and don't want to start on my nice pretty wing kit until I get a little tutoring, or at least watch someone who knows what they're doing. I have been searching the Internet to learn as much as I can, but I learn best by watching, doing, getting feedback, and doing again. (I have learned on my own not to pull the trigger of the rivet gun while the other end is in the palm of your other hand). :eek:
Is there anyone out there local in Atlanta / Woodstock area currently building that needs some rookie help in exchange for some education? I would travel to your shop and help just to get some experience, training, and feedback.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:)
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ken..lotsa RV's in the process around Atlanta, Covington, Gwinnet county area under construction. The Lawrenceville EAA chapter meets on every first Saturday. Get hold of them and go visit.

Best,

advice and experience

You can get lots of advice and experience by watching others. I have built several aircraft and am a tech counselor and willing to help you out. I have a RV8 fusalage arriving just after the first of the year that you are welcome to drop down to Conyers and watch/help. I am also wiling to come to your place and get you started. Give me a call

Gary Specketer
gspecketer at hotmail.com
770-403-34five zero

Ken;

Pierre is right in that you can get help from the EAA690 chapter at KLZU in Lawrenceville. However we meet on the second Friday of the month at the chapter hangar ( 690 Airport RD. Lawrenceville, GA). We also have our monthly pancake breakfast at the chapter hanger the first Sat of every month. We have lots of guys here with RV building experience that would be glad to help. Come to the breakfast on Jan 5th if you can. We have several members that live up in your area so they could probably go to your project.

John Morgan

Check out bilder videos at EAA!

If you haven't already Join EAA. On their web site there is a ton of great info about building. There are many short videos on home building. See this link below for one on riveting. This is just one of many on every faucet of building.;)Also read chapter 5 in your RV14 directions and read the Aircraft builder hand book twice. I believe it would have come with your kit from Vans.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1200014906001

Practice

Scrap aluminum and youtube videos are a good place to start until you can meet with someone.

Vans Practice kits

Vans also sells two practice kits, one is a toolbox, and the other is a small "aileron". Good practice.

Tool Box Kit Practice Project
Part Number = TOOL BOX KIT
Price = $26.00

Practice Project - Control Surface
Part Number = RV TRAINING PROJECT-1
Price = $35.00

You can learn the basic skills by building these kits. You can make all the mistakes everyone makes, and learn how to fix them.:p

Ken,

You have some great resources right here in Cherokee County. Jere Rosser is a EAA Tech Counselor and lives in Woodstock. Most of the RV guys around have flying airplanes but still love to build so if you want someone to stop by just ask.

Have fun.

Vans also sells two practice kits, one is a toolbox, and the other is a small "aileron". Good practice.

Tool Box Kit Practice Project
Part Number = TOOL BOX KIT
Price = $26.00

Practice Project - Control Surface
Part Number = RV TRAINING PROJECT-1
Price = $35.00

You can learn the basic skills by building these kits. You can make all the mistakes everyone makes, and learn how to fix them.:p

As Pete mentions, these are two great sample projects to get started. Many of the builder's classes use the control surface kit in their class because it uses all the various riveting techniques used during a build.

I recommend starting with the tool box and then the control service.

I found both projects enjoyable when I started my RV-10 six years ago.

Bob

Congratulations!

Congratulations on starting your RV-14, and even more so, congratulations on asking questions when you are not sure of something. Too many people do not ask for help until too late!

There are so many resources available locally and here on VAF, I'm sure you will get the help you need (and more) when you ask!

Ken, I'm a newbie too! Am close to ordering a -14. I have been chewing on whether or not I have the skill to start one of these kits.

I spent $150 to attend a "basic builders class" put on by Synergy Air in Eugene, OR. Best $150 spent.... Found out it's not hard driving rivets; and best part was getting to use the various types of hand squeezers, bucking bars. What air pressure to set using the various tools.

The basic tool kit "will" build your kit; however, don't be afraid to spend a few more $$ to get the better grade stuff. My price out of my tool kit has hit the high $3k amount....now that I've seen and used the better tools.

If there is someone offering a hands-on basic builders class....it might be worth your time. FWIW

Practice Practice Practice

Ken
A couple of months ago I watched multiple videos on how to rivet and then built two airfoil section practice kits from Vans. My rivets were much better on the second kit, BUT weren't airworthy according to my old EAA chapter's tech counselor. It wasn't until I got with him and he watched my technique and corrected errors right on the spot that my riveting vastly improved. I highly recommend not going it alone. You are right to reach out for assistance. I'll start bucking real rivets once the RV-14 empennage/tailcone kit comes out.
Merry Christmas,
George

Guys, I'm a newbe and in need of some tutoring on construction. Thanks!

There are a number of builders close to you. Woodstock, Marietta, Kennesaw, Acworth, whatever. As someone pointed out, Jere Rosser is up that way (as are others), I'm in Marietta, and there are plenty of builders between here and there.

Drop me a PM with your address and phone number and we'll set up something - we can either do a Tech Counselor visit or I can probably hook you up with someone closer to you than I am.

By the way, EAA 268 is an option if you're looking for a chapter affiliation - we meet at McCollum.

Thank You!

Thanks for all the feed back!:)
I am going to take a few of you up on your suggestions and help, if you don't mind, so I'll be giving you a call or PM after this week.
I was up late last night watching EAA vid's until my laptop battery died, so that was a great tip! I had already done the U-Tube Vid's and had got me some scrap from Home Depot, so that was also a good tip! Van's practice kit is also something I will be doing, as it sounds like a good self-taught project for a rookie.
My cell: (7) 401-2three2one, if you are in my area and want to come check out the mayhem...
Thanks again, Happy New Year!
KJO:cool:

Trying to show in body of post?

image_zps884e316b.jpg

Getting there now... :)

Thanks Ron..

We knew you could do it, look like aircraft assembly to me.
Not quite as far along as you and some others, but steady as she goes.....
Keep the tips coming! I know this newbee appreciates all your posts!

Advice in fixing a screw up -- do I need a new rear spar?

Ok guys, I'm got thru chapter 13, and got ready to start on the top skins, when I noticed the "critical hole" which was to be 3/8" was oval on one of the doubler plates,
image.jpg

so after some advice from Vans, I ordered new parts and started over using a drill press for both the 11/32" final drill and then, as instructed, using the press, the 3/8" reamer. The good news - the holes came out round, so feelin a lot better with these two new pieces.

The bad news, I drilled into the rear spar drilling out some of the rivets, so some of the holes are larger than original instructions, and a few are now oval ....
image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

I am planning on drilling these out and using a bigger rivet, I was going to drill it out for an AN470AD6-, it was originally spec'd as an AN470AD4.

Many of the holes are in good shape I feel, so I'm really only talking about 3 - 4 of the holes used to attach the doubler on the rear spar.
image-5.jpg

So does this sound like the right thing to do, or have I mucked up the rear spar too bad????:confused:

Last edited:
None of your photo links are any good, so can't tell where you are planning to substitute rivets.
Since you checked with Van's tech. support regarding the other issue, may I suggest you do the same with this one?

Assuming it was acceptable to use a bigger diam. rivet at the bad rivet locations (can't say without knowing where they are), I would only increase it by one rivet size (5/32") 3/16" is a bit extreme and may be reducing the cross section area of the material by an excessive amount.

Ken,

For build assistance I suggest you get with my friend Doug Ripley of Ripley Air. He works out of Air Acres in Woodstock and is one of the best I know. He has done numerous very sophisicated builds as well as RVs. He is currently doing some build work for me on an RV-7.

Not only can he do/help with construction but also does excellent paint work.

Do yourself a favor and work with Doug if even for a short time till you gain you footing.....you'll be glad you did.

And tell him that Glenn Wilkinson sent you.

Glenn654

Come see our 30 flying RV's This Saturday!

Falcon RV Squadron
Spring 2013 RV Fly-in and cookout Saturday, May 4th, Rain or shine!

The Falcon RV Squadron is inviting you to its spring 2013 RV fly-in and cookout at Falcon Field, Peachtree City, GA (KFFC). You are invited as long as you own an RV, are building an RV, want to own or build an RV, or you just like looking at RVs. The cookout will be at Falcon Field, Hangar D-30. D-30 is the Headquarters of the Falcon RV Squadron, home of 30 flying RVs! The hangar is located on the northwest end of the airport. There will be signs and ?follow me? golf carts to assist in parking. When you park you will be given a ?Welcome? flyer with additional details. Lunch will be from 11am until 1pm (or thereabouts). It?s all free! Not only that, we will be offering everyone some special good deals.
Special Good Deals for our members and guests:
Free Door Prizes. A number of companies, including Aircraft Spruce, are donating items for raffle. Every arriving guest will be given one free ticket. Additional chances can be purchased for a fee. Register for the raffle on arrival. The drawing will be at 12:00 pm and you must be present to win. Net proceeds from the raffle will be donated to the Patriot Guard Riders, a volunteer organization that provides support for families of fallen veterans.
Discounts at Aircraft Spruce: Aircraft Spruce will be offering discount pricing for our guests on Saturday. Just present the ?Welcome? flyer at the counter to receive the discount.
Reduced gas prices: Falcon Field will be offering discounted gas prices for our guests who fly-in.

Contacts:
Don Roberts at [email protected] 678 438-3052
Dane Patterson at [email protected] 678 378-7849

Falcon RV Squadron
Spring 2013 RV Fly-in and cookout Saturday, May 4th, Rain or shine!

Planning on flying into 6A2 this weekend for a family birthday party. Not sure if I can break away, but would really like to hop over on Saturday.

What do you make of this?

I am preparing to install the L-out board leading edge assembly as in Step #2, P. 15-08 (Rev. 0).
I have them cleco?ed together but top skin edges seem to over lap in some areas. At the very least, they sit higher than the W-00002 and W-00003 wing skins.

Additionally, I did not put a bend on the LE aft edges since instructions did not call for as in P. 14-02, (Rev. 1), step #7:
?Put a slight bend on forward edge of W-00002 Top Inbd sing skin and the forward and inboard edges of the W-00003 top outbid wing skin?..?

1) to get a smooth wing joint surface do I need to put a bend on the aft edges of the leading edge assembly, re-dimple, then rivet? or just rivet per plans and work them smooth in some manner down the road????
Note: picture is shot of top outboard leading edge skins aft to forward showing skin thickness.

72cd60eac0a6cdf7f79a1050f9abbe58.jpg

I have some nifty little vice grips with roller bearings that put a slight bend in skins for just this purpose. I got them from Avery but you are welcome to borrow mine.

If they are overlapping, you may need to run a file down the edge a couple of times until they no longer overlap. I had one skin that I needed to take about 1/64 to 1/32 off to keep them from overlapping. If they are not overlapping and it just is sticking up, the riveting will probably tighten it up some. If it is very close you may be able to get it to align by unclecoing it and putting the edge of the skin in the correct position and then reclecoing it, it may shift just enough to not overlap

Back