What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommend an AKZO Sprayer

I just have one of the HF 20oz guns that has the pressure gauge built into the gun. The gauge helps you set the pressure for when the trigger is pulled. I know the range that works well for me. I don't see that much of a reason for a small cup. Usually I just mix up less if I need a smaller batch. The cup is the easy part to clean. The tip portion which is the same for the smaller and larger cups is the part that is more difficult to clean.

Update:

Here is the link to the gun that I have. Right now its on sale for $29.99. Pretty hard to beat.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-hvlp-gravity-feed-air-spray-gun-with-regulator-69705.html

Last edited:
3M PPS Accuspray System

When I was priming during my -14 wing build I tried several methods.
1st thing I would say is to prep the material well - it must be clean, clean, clean.
Acetone, soctch-bright pad, Prekote, scotch-bright pad, rinse, use gloves, and make sure everything is dry. If you do this your 90% of the way there.

PPS have several different size cups, all disposable, and self measuring. The tips are clear so you can see when it's clean without taking it apart. I like mixing up just enough for the job, it's usually just a few small parts at a time, so the 6 oz cup works great. I have a few disposable syringes from my Pharmicy that I use to measure the product since tipping a gallon can to pour is hard for me and I end up with more product on the bench than in the gum.
I used a regular spray gun with the quart jar, it works fine, but cleaning is just a pain.
There have been several threads about Accuspray PPS, with links, check them out. That's how I found out about it and highly recommend.

I use the cheaper HF pink gun and it works fine. I did buy the 3M PPS cups and would not go back to the old system. The PPS full system with the nozzle also looks interesting but have not tried it.

3M PPS

What is the 3M PPD cup system? Is it plug and play with the HF guns?

The 3M PPS is usually ordered as a package plus an adapter specific to your gun.
The packages come with a cup holder, 50 cups and lids and 10 plugs. A 200 micron filter is built into every lid. The plugs are for saving paint in the cup. I suggest the 20 oz but for small jobs I like the small 5 oz. The sizes may be a little off. I can't remember the exact capacity. I sometimes close the cup with a cap by squeezing it down till all the air escapes then insert the cap.
I don't know the number for the HF adapter. Mine is a DeVilbiss. There's a photo on my blog.

That's the one I used.

I just have one of the HF 20oz guns that has the pressure gauge built into the gun. The gauge helps you set the pressure for when the trigger is pulled. I know the range that works well for me. I don't see that much of a reason for a small cup. Usually I just mix up less if I need a smaller batch. The cup is the easy part to clean. The tip portion which is the same for the smaller and larger cups is the part that is more difficult to clean.

Update:

Here is the link to the gun that I have. Right now its on sale for $29.99. Pretty hard to beat.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-hvlp-gravity-feed-air-spray-gun-with-regulator-69705.html

I used this gun for all my priming. Worked great.

Yes need a respirator recommendation too please for spraying AKZO. Will be spraying outside.

Respirator

Yes need a respirator recommendation too please for spraying AKZO. Will be spraying outside.

Minimum half face with organic filters. Better is a full face with same filters.
Shave the facial hair. If you smell vapors, you have a leak.

I purchased my paint/primer gun from Eastwood with the 9oz DeKups cup system. Very pleased with the quality of the job it does.

paint%20gun.jpg

All Great replies. THANK YOU. I'll be picking up the HF gun. Will also pick up a half face respirator with organic vapor filters 2. How do you know when to change the filters?

Filters

All Great replies. THANK YOU. I'll be picking up the HF gun. Will also pick up a half face respirator with organic vapor filters 2. How do you know when to change the filters?

3M #60923
You don't know for certain but if you smell or taste anything, either they're exhausted or you have a leak.
Keep your respiraror in a large zip lock bag. The filter will absorb even when your not breathing through it and loose effective life. Date them just as a reminder of how long they've been in use.

I used a primer pistol. The film canister doesn't hold much, but is easy to refill.
Use the canister to measure the desired quantity into a dixie cup. Cleanup is quick and easy. Had to run a small bit thru the tip a couple times and used one extra canister due to neglect. On the skins a larger gun would be nice, but most of my priming was small parts in small batches.
http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/d...=SA-PP01&ReturnPage=/shop/flyer.aspx?PageNo=1

Thanks everyone or the responses. Very Helpful. Will get a HF HVLP gun, a half face respirator with 2 cartridges (write dates on the cartridges when opened and store in zip lock back when not in use), bunny suits, eye protection, and paint filters.

Still not sure on the easy clean up throw away cups to use on the HF guns. Not sure what would fit. Maybe wait till I get gun and see?....

I'm not sure there is a real benefit for the disposable cups for Akzo since you can't keep it once its mixed up. I'm sure others may disagree with me, but personally I think the cup part of the gun is very easy to clean. Its the spray tip section that takes some time to clean since you have to disassemble it. So being able to throw away the cup saves 30 secs of wiping out the cup. The system with the disposable tips may be easy but I suspect its pretty expensive and not really a great fit for our typical priming sessions.

For other paints that could be stored for the next use then I think its a different situation. For my interior I'm going to use JetFlex water based paint. I think it can be stored for the next application. For this type of paint it may make sense and I may look at one of these systems. Probably the DeKupps one is the one that I'll be trying.

The HF gun is good enough for Akzo since it is very easy to shoot. Once you get your gun set to atomize correctly it works great. I'm not sure this gun is good enough for a top coat so I may try a another gun once I start shooting my interior.

Ok...Got the HF gun linked above but without the gauge regulator at the gun for 13 bucks.

I have a regulator at the compressor. any reason to have 2 other than convenience?

Do I need an inline air dryer and filter to spray AKZO?

Thanks

Regulator

Ok...Got the HF gun linked above but without the gauge regulator at the gun for 13 bucks.

I have a regulator at the compressor. any reason to have 2 other than convenience?

Do I need an inline air dryer and filter to spray AKZO?

Thanks

HF sells disposable filters for water and oil. They last quite a while and work pretty well. I use one at the gun.
As far as a regulator at the gun, I recommend it. You want stable pressure at the gun. I prefer a good one like MicroAir. The HF varied enough to cause problems with consistency.
Of course that's my $.02. YMMV

How are you spraying this inside?

You've been hitting all my questions right before I needed to post it, btw :)

For when I need to spray inside

(colder wx) I'm planning to build a collapsible downdraft spray booth/table using an 8" Harbor Freight cylindrical fan for the air handling to duct the fumes under the garage door. I'll be sure to put pictures here when it's done. Already assembling parts.

HF sells disposable filters for water and oil. They last quite a while and work pretty well. I use one at the gun.
As far as a regulator at the gun, I recommend it. You want stable pressure at the gun. I prefer a good one like MicroAir. The HF varied enough to cause problems with consistency.
Of course that's my $.02. YMMV

I saw those at HF when I picked up the gun. Since it was "HF", I didn't think it would work well. I'll give it a shot, and see how it does. When you say "awhile" how long is that? One session, an entire empennage?

Not sure if water will be an issue with spraying AKZO in FL, how do I know if water in the air is an issue. First time spraying with a HVLP.

Thanks

Water

I saw those at HF when I picked up the gun. Since it was "HF", I didn't think it would work well. I'll give it a shot, and see how it does. When you say "awhile" how long is that? One session, an entire empennage?

Not sure if water will be an issue with spraying AKZO in FL, how do I know if water in the air is an issue. First time spraying with a HVLP.

Thanks

The filter longevity will depend on so many variables. Im guessing several sessions if you have a water/oil filter at the compressor supply line. In Florida, check it after each session. There shouldn't be any water droplets on the gun side. I keep mine on the hose side of the gun. Hose connects to the filter then regulator then gun. There's a photo of my paint gun on my blog.
Water in the air will look like little pinhead size imperfections in the paint surface. They are called fisheyes.
If humidity becomes a problem, run a hose to a small condensation tank then to the gun.

I don't have any filters at the compresor. Was going to get one but instead posted here for advise. I did a quick amazon search for compressor dryer and too big a selection turn up. Recommendation woukd be great here.

Air/oil separator

I don't have any filters at the compresor. Was going to get one but instead posted here for advise. I did a quick amazon search for compressor dryer and too big a selection turn up. Recommendation woukd be great here.

Something like this will work. Look for similar air/oil separtors at the big box stores. Plumb it into the line as close to the compressor supply as possible. Drain both the tank and separator daily.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0186IOTL8/ref=pd_aw_sim_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41zq4DkgXpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL390_SR390%2C390_&refRID=0SBQCJ2QAPV7QFZCYAMM

Thank for the link. I see they vary in size. Does bigger mean better filtration? The big biz stores carry one about 2-3".

Separator

Thank for the link. I see they vary in size. Does bigger mean better filtration? The big biz stores carry one about 2-3".

I'm no expert but my gut says yes. Mine is about 6-9" tall.
You want one with a simple to operate valve at the bottom to purge the condensate regularly.
Mine has a rubber valve. A little tug in any direction opens it.

For priming, it's probably not a big deal. For finish paint work, humidity is bad joo joo.

Rick Galati

Rick (Rick6a) responded to a similar post in mid January 2011 that went into a number of issues. I tried to find the exact post but ran out of time. Perhaps someone else will have the link.

Good luck.
Michael

Look for similar air/oil separtors at the big box stores. Plumb it into the line as close to the compressor supply as possible. Drain both the tank and separator daily.

Plumb the separator as far from the compressor as possible. Simple physics; the compressed air must have an opportunity to cool, condensing the water vapor into liquid water, or the separator will be useless. Water will merely condense in the line downstream of the separator.

Expert

Plumb the separator as far from the compressor as possible. Simple physics; the compressed air must have an opportunity to cool, condensing the water vapor into liquid water, or the separator will be useless. Water will merely condense in the line downstream of the separator.

See...Told you I wasn't an expert!
Dan's the man!

See...Told you I wasn't an expert!
Dan's the man!
Had two spray sessions yesterday. Pressure set for 20psi with trigger pulled. Mixed up a batch and sprayed away. I was amazed how easy it was to spray. Was dry within 10 min. 1 hour later I tried to scratch some off with my nail and could not get AKZO off. Great stuff!! The HF gun leave a bit to be desired though. The spray pattern wasn't very wide. The widest I could get was about 2 inches. The HF gun paint jar top leaks. So tilting the gun would drip paint out. I wore an old military top so non got on my skin. I hung the parts on a line outdoors.

Highly recommended!! AKZO that is. As for the HF HLVP gun, I paid 13 bucks for it. I got what I paid for it.

It sounds like you have the pressure set too high. I shoot at about 5-8 PSI with the trigger pulled. You can probably provide more material too, if you are only a couple of inches away. I do agree that the fan width might not be as wide as you would like with these guns, but I don't think you have it adjusted to get the most out of the gun yet either.

I also put a little bit of lacquer thinner in my mix. I was told this was for dry areas so it probably doesn't apply to your situation.

Oh and I have one of these in my air line. I'm not sure if this is the exact one they have them with different size fittings.
http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-F35121-400-VS-4-Inch-Filter-Black/dp/B0057D8LII?ie=UTF8&keywords=ingersoll%20rand%20filter&qid=1465327895&ref_=sr_1_1&s=hi&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Paint laid fine. No signs of water contamination. I have a PneumaticPlus SUA40M-N04DG-MEP after 50 ft of hose. I'll try the HF gun at a lower pressure setting next time and see if it gives a wider pattern. Otherwise it will just take extra passes.

I haven't been able to get that wide of a fan either. For skins this can be a pain for other parts it's not much of an issue.

I also need to work on getting a more consistent thickness too. I think I need to measure the 2 parts and the lacquer thinner more accurately.

By the time I don't need to prime anymore I might actually be pretty good at it.

Fan

I'm sure you know how the fan control works but on my DeVilbiss fsn is narrowed as the control is turned clockwise. All the way backed out is as wide as it gets.
I prefer a little narrow.

AKZOd the elevators and trim tabs today. Figured out my "fan" pattered was set horizontally. So when I sprayed the first time, I was sweeping left to right, painting essentially a line with each sweep. Changed the direction of the nozzle and BOOM, an actual fan of usable size. Now I can blend in the sweeps of paint. The nozzle looks backwards but now I understand how it works. Anyhow. Once again, I'm VERY impressed with AKZO. Sprays VERY easily, covers well, dries super fast!

Back