What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sport Air Racing

joe1968

Well Known Member
HI,
I'm interested in Sport Air Racing, wondered if there any racers on here and what are you flying, I am considering building a RV-7 with a titan engine. Any suggestions and tips

Thanks Joe

Best place for research will be in Reno next week

Book a ticket to Reno for the air races next week/weekend!! There are lots of RV's racing there and I think Titan will even have a trailer there. If you purchase a pit pass you can rub shoulders with the pilts and crew.

Don't remember any RVs racing. Any entered in Sport Class this year? They aren't particularly fast at Reno compared to Rockets and composite planes.

Last edited:
For Joe: Take a look at Sport Air Racing League (SARL)here. Great group/family of friendly, yet competitive racers. Head out to some of those races to pick up lots of tips to incorporate into your build. This group is separate from Reno, but several of us also race there, as members of the Sport Class Air Racing Association (similar names, different groups, some crossover in members). There is a schedule of races on the SARL site.

As for Reno...

The Sport Class is running 4 heats this year, and currently has 38 entries! The line-up in each heat looks to produce some very competitive racing this year, with more than one group of closely matched racers in each heat. It should be a lot of fun to see!

Among all that glass are 3 Rockets, 1 S-RV or RV/Rocket (or whatever you call mine ;)) and 6 RVs. There would have been 8 RVs but 2 have had to scratch.

Here's your Metal Mafia line-up, Rockets, then RVs, in race number order:

12 Mark Frederick F1 Rocket
17 Chris Schaich HRIII
49 Bob Mills RV-S6
57 Bill Beaton HRII

16 Charlie Greer RV-6
27 Jim Wilson RV-8
26 Scott Farnsworth RV-8
41 Kevin Eldredge RV-8
84 Stan Sutterfield RV-8A
314 Scott Prewitt RV-4

If you come to the races, look for the Rockets in the main RARA hangar (where the Formulas are), and look for most of the RVs across the ramp from RARA in the big hangar by the fence. Kevin and Scott will have their RVs in the hangar next to the other RVs' hangar with Relentless NXT and a Lancair…all in a very nice display location set up with Titan Engines, Aircraft Wraps and other sponsor displays.

Please do come and visit us…we'd love to see our RV friends there!

Qualifying begins Monday, first heats Wednesday afternoon. Full-day racing from Thursday through Sunday. The RVs and Rockets will likely be in the first two heats each day, so get there by 9 am to see the RVs fly!

"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left!"

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Back