What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What 7" tablet has good internal GPS?

markscogg

Well Known Member
Don't want to use an external GPS receiver.
A friend has an older Samsung 7" gen 2 that works perfectly. Moving map, approach plates etc. But that is not the model they are selling now.

There are some threads about the new Nexus 7 having problems with the GPS locking up. Don't know if they are resolved.
I would prefer an Android based tablet.

What have you had that worked well in your plane?

If you keep your eye on halfoffdepot.com, you can pick up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" for around $120 shipped. I've only played around with it in the plane a couple of times, but the gps worked well with Naviator.

I have a 1st generation Nexus 7 and I've been very impressed with the GPS. Accurate and very quick to aquire a good GPS signal. It even worked in the C-23 cockpit.

I have a 1st generation Nexus 7 and I've been very impressed with the GPS. Accurate and very quick to aquire a good GPS signal. It even worked in the C-23 cockpit.

Additionally the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet is reported by an RV owner to have an amazing screen for use in a bubble cockpit RV.

Additionally the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet is reported by an RV owner to have an amazing screen for use in a bubble cockpit RV.

Yup......I did lots of research and ended up that I just ordered a new Nexus 7 from SamsClub.com. Make sure you get the 2013 version as the GPS has been fixed and works flawlessly over the 2012 version, which has known GPS issues. I wanted an iPad Air, but I can buy (4) Nexus 7's for the price of the iPad Air I wanted. :D

Yup......I did lots of research and ended up that I just ordered a new Nexus 7 from SamsClub.com. Make sure you get the 2013 version as the GPS has been fixed and works flawlessly over the 2012 version, which has known GPS issues. I wanted an iPad Air, but I can buy (4) Nexus 7's for the price of the iPad Air I wanted. :D

At least you will be able to see the screen on the Nexus. :D

Right now, Office Depot has the Nexus 7 (2013 edition) with 16GB on sale for $179.99 ($50 off) or the 32GB version for $229.99 ($40 off).

I think this may be the cheapest price yet these units have ever sold for new.

I'm really temped to pick one up this weekend at my local store before they sell out.

Is 16 GB enough?

Right now, Office Depot has the Nexus 7 (2013 edition) with 16GB on sale for $179.99 ($50 off) or the 32GB version for $229.99 ($40 off).

I think this may be the cheapest price yet these units have ever sold for new.

I'm really temped to pick one up this weekend at my local store before they sell out.

Is the 16 GB version big enough to load apps and charts? Really only need the south eastern US.

Is the 16 GB version big enough to load apps and charts? Really only need the south eastern US.

I should be. I had everything except the Northestern US in Sectionals, IFR lows, and IAP's plus a few WAC's and the airport/AOPA data in Garmin Pilot. With all that the total storage useage was less than 8GB. So you should be OK even during update periods.

Doug

Nexus 7 Gen2 16GB running Naviator. Works great including the internal GPS and very good sunlight readablity. The pricing from OD is pretty good but if they run out Staples will price match.

Office Depot

The Office Depot nearest me was already out of stock. Another one a few miles further had it in stock, so I got one there.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am an IPAD man, but found that they were just too dim in the brightly lit cockpit of my RV-8. Even with the IPAD in the shadows, the reflection of the sun off of my body was too bright. I bought a Nexus 7 (2013), and found it decidedly superior in brightness. It is just about the right size for my cockpit, and I find it a much better display of approach plates than my Garmin 696. The GPS was originally flaky, but an update in August fixed that, and I get excellent GPS reception.

I also connect it with a Garmin GDL 39 with good results. The Android version of Garmin Pilot is behind the IOS version, but it is quite useful. I saved about $100 a year by buying my data bases in Pilot as compared to the 696.

As to storage, I pretty much limit the Nexus 32git to aviation stuff, but I have a few "normal" aps on it. I have pretty much loaded up on all the data bases in Garmin Pilot and keep Avare fully loaded. No music or photos. Right now I show 26.1 gig total space and 18.36 available, which means that you could get by very well with the 16 gig model if you keep your aps and stuff under control. Of course, we all know that computer data automatically expands to exceed the storage available every few months.

-John
Don't want to use an external GPS receiver.
A friend has an older Samsung 7" gen 2 that works perfectly. Moving map, approach plates etc. But that is not the model they are selling now.

There are some threads about the new Nexus 7 having problems with the GPS locking up. Don't know if they are resolved.
I would prefer an Android based tablet.

What have you had that worked well in your plane?

FYI... Both generations of the Nexus 7 had GPS teething pains when first released. Both were fixed later with firmware updates. I'm not aware of any issues with either version that aren't resolved with the latest version of Android running.

(I have a second generation iPad and first generation Nexus 7, both running Air Navigation Pro)

LG G Pad 8.3

I have had this tablet for about a week and am totally happy with it. The screen is bigger than the Nexus 7, but the footprint is not very much larger. The GPS function is outstanding (got a firm lock in the middle of a metal-roofed building).

It has a microSD slot (for up to 64GB additional storage... big advantage with database and map files). I have been satisfied with the brightness in sunlight, but you can check for yourself at Best Buy.

I got mine for 259.00 at NewEgg, (Best Buy had discounted to 279.00 at one point last week) and Google has started offering their version (G Pad 8.3GPE, short for Google Play Edition) on the Play Store. I am not sure what changes they are making to the basic LG version (other than installing Android 4.4.2 KitKat).

This is a fine little tablet and a good match for my open cockpit, mounted high on a swivel base, running Avare or Naviator.

I went to our local Office Depot today and played with the N7 for a while and was satisfied with what I saw of the display and the performance. Unfortunately the only 32GB unit they had left was the store display and I didn't want to buy that one. They had several 16GB units in stock, but I wanted the extra storage since there's no SD card socket on these. Went home and ordered the 32GB unit online so it'll be here hopefully sometime next week.

Has anybody bought the latest Ipad mini with Retina display? Nexus & VS IPAD Mini. Will GEO reference show on charts well? Does Ipad mini have a SD card slot? Just wondering which to buy.

Ron

Mounting a 2013 Nexus 7

Can anyone post a picture of their mounting solution for a 2013 Nexus 7?

I really like the tablet, but haven't yet found a good mount.

Pete

The new (2013) Nexus 7 works great in the RV cockpit. The brightness (550 nits) makes this tablet very sunlight readable. I decided to mount my tablet under the throttle quadrant on my RV-7. So far the biggest teething issue has been getting used to the Garmin Pilot app. Here is a pic of how I mounted the tablet and how it works in the direct sunlight:

DSCN2984.JPG

And how do you know for sure that the unit is the 2013 version???

If you buy direct from Google you will only get the 2013 version. The first generation model has been discontinued. Any reputable vendor should be up-front with you about which version they are selling, so you can always ask.

I mentioned it before, but the first generation's GPS works fine with the latest software updates. I've used my wife's many times in the RV with no issues. The latest model does have a brighter screen though, so there's no real reason to buy an older one.

And how do you know for sure that the unit is the 2013 version???

If you're able to look at the box, the 2012 version has a mostly grey box and the label on the bottom will say 1.2M Camera because it has only one camera (forward facing).

The 2013 version has a mostly blue box and the label on the bottom will say 1.2M/5M Camera because it has both front and rear facing cameras.

If buying online and you want to ensure a 2013 version, look for specs like "snapdragon" processor (2012 = Tegra processor) or two cameras (2012 = 1 camera), or 1920x1200 screen resolution (2012 = 1280x800).

That being said, I have the 2012 version, purchased as a refurb at wally world for an incredible price, and it runs Garmin Pilot flawlessly. I really don't think you can go wrong with either version here.

Will the Nexus 7 run my TruTrak ? That would be the icing on the cake.

The Nexus 7 will work with Naviator to accomplish this although any Android tablet with Bluetooth output should work. Naviator has NMEA data output through Bluetooth. Here is what the manual says on page 18 http://www.naviatorapp.com/help/naviatorusermanual.pdf.

NMEA Output
Naviator is able to output an NMEA 0183 compliant data stream over a Bluetooth connection. This feature can be used to enable Naviator to drive the aircraft’s autopilot. This feature has been tested with Trio autopilots, but should also work with other autopilot systems as long as it accepts serial NMEA 0183 input.
The NMEA output feature can be enabled from the Preferences screen.
A Bluetooth - to - RS232 serial adapter, such as the RN - 240 from Roving Networks (http://www.rovingnetworks.com/products/RN_240), is required to wirelessly interface the Android device with the autopilot system. Refer to the system diagram below for details:

Last edited:
REALLY??!!!

The Nexus 7 will work with Naviator to accomplish this although any Android tablet with Bluetooth output should work. Naviator has NMEA data output through Bluetooth. Here is what the manual says on page 18 http://www.naviatorapp.com/help/naviatorusermanual.pdf.

NMEA Output
Naviator is able to output an NMEA 0183 compliant data stream over a Bluetooth connection. This feature can be used to enable Naviator to drive the aircraft?s autopilot. This feature has been tested with Trio autopilots, but should also work with other autopilot systems as long as it accepts serial NMEA 0183 input.
The NMEA output feature can be enabled from the Preferences screen.
A Bluetooth - to - RS232 serial adapter, such as the RN - 240 from Roving Networks (http://www.rovingnetworks.com/products/RN_240), is required to wirelessly interface the Android device with the autopilot system. Refer to the system diagram below for details:

I find this new technology & capabilities provided to be absolutely fascinating! WOW :D

Nexus 7 sale $215 32GB Office Max

Office Max has the Nexus 7 32GB on sale for 20% off ($215) if anyone is looking for one, may need to reference SAVE20 coupon or deal through Jan 11. Hope to try mine out this weekend.

Thanks for that info Gregg. Great price. BestBuy will match it.

Cheers,

Oops. I stand corrected. I called BestBuy and the listed price has to be SHOWN. So they won't match with the SAVE20 promo code. Office Max online are sold out, so have to find it in a store.

Last edited:
I've only had my Nexus 7 (2013) long enough to fly with it twice... using the free Avare app, and the GPS worked solidly both times. With the screen brightness turned all the way up, the VFR sectional moving map display was adequately readable under sunlight at midday. It's nowhere near as bright as something like a SkyView, but it's definitely brighter than the older versions of Apple iPad I've played around with.

Nexus 7 32gb 2013 Wifi or 3-4 G?

Are any of the Nexus 7 2013 models 3 or 4G or are they all Wifi only?

NEXUS 7 & Foreflight

Hello everyone

Can anyone using a Nexus 7 confirm that you cannot use Foreflight on it..

Foreflight being available on Apple device only??

Thanks you

Bruno
[email protected]

ForeFlight is definitely an Apple-only app. I wish they offered an Android version but alas, they don't and there are no indications that they have any plans to support Android at this time.

nexus 7 question

I see the adventure pilot/iFly software is now available for download on other devices. I have an iPad mini and downloaded their software to this. So far it works great. My iPad does not have an internal GPS so I'm looking to buy something that has the built-in GPS. Does anyone know if the Nexus seven has an internal GPS and also if I fly software can be downloaded on the Nexus 7?

Avare - Great App for Android

Recommend anyone who has an Android tablet for flying check out Avare. Not associated personally at all, but definitely a great app. New items being added all the time, active developer, and FREE!

Let me know if you have questions...

It looks like iFly GPS is in the Google Play store, so it should work just fine on an Android tablet like the Nexus 7. BTW, the Nexus 7 has a great internal GPS, I use it with the app I mentioned called Avare which is completely free. It is simple to use...not quite as polished as other apps, but really good anyways.

I see the adventure pilot/iFly software is now available for download on other devices. I have an iPad mini and downloaded their software to this. So far it works great. My iPad does not have an internal GPS so I'm looking to buy something that has the built-in GPS. Does anyone know if the Nexus seven has an internal GPS and also if I fly software can be downloaded on the Nexus 7?

I've found Avare to be too glitchy/buggy to use for much more than flight planning on the ground. I demo'ed the IFly app and it was much more reliable than Avare. Avare kept sending my final airport destination to someplace out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean at random times. I'm about to give Garmin Pilot a try next.

Consider the 8" tablet offerings?

I use an LG G Pad 8.3" tablet w/Garmin Pilot in the RV-4 and am pleased with readability, speed and reception. It's mounted via RAM tablet holder and arm to the right side cockpit rail.

If you combine Naviator with an Ilevil AW on a Nexus, you jave a complete backup EFIS with map, horizon, IAS, and baro alt. Pretty cheap backup that works.

My Garmin Pilot subscription runs out in June, so I'm trying other apps again to see if there is anything I like better. Right now I have installed on my Nexus 7; Garmin Pilot, Naviator, FlightPro (formerly Avilution Aviation Maps), and Anywhere Map. I've tried Avare as well and I think it's a decent backup if the primary app goes down. I'll have to give iFly a try as well.

To stay on topic, the GPS works great with all of 'em... ;)

Pireps please!

Doug, I've just loaded the AnywhereMap demo on my Nexus...I find it strange and not at all intuitive...of course, it's hard to read the online manual while using it! :)
I always thought I like the AWM feature set, so maybe I'm just on the wrong side of the learning curve! ( I certainly haven't figured out my AvMap yet!)
I just want REALLY easy VFR mapping A to B on sunny sundays.
Seem most of these are geared toward showing weather and IFR approaches while launching space capsules to Mars!

FlyQ EFB

Anybody using FlyQ from the AOPA website? Somebody was showing it to me the other day and it looked really nice.

Music from Nexus

I am looking at getting a Nexus and one of the aviation apps in the near future. One questions, not a deal breaker, but can you connect the nexus to your intercom music input and play music from it at the same time you are using the aviation map/wx/traffic app?

I just want REALLY easy VFR mapping A to B on sunny sundays.
Seem most of these are geared toward showing weather and IFR approaches while launching space capsules to Mars!

I read you loud and clear. I'm the same. I have been very pleased with Sky Charts Pro on my iphone. Moving map, course and distance. No internet connection. Never failed or froze. Simple to use.

I am looking at getting a Nexus and one of the aviation apps in the near future. One questions, not a deal breaker, but can you connect the nexus to your intercom music input and play music from it at the same time you are using the aviation map/wx/traffic app?

Yes. Play music, view GPS track on the charts, connect to GDL 39 for "free" weather and traffic along with modifying capture settings of your tail mounted GoPro camera. Just remember to look out the window occasionally :)

iPad? we don got no steenkin' iStuff!!!

I read you loud and clear. I'm the same. I have been very pleased with Sky Charts Pro on my iphone. Moving map, course and distance. No internet connection. Never failed or froze. Simple to use.

...now you're just teasing Andy, I thought we were talking about my Nexus 7, and you have an iPad, and Skycharts has no map data for Canada, so I'm really feeling like I've missed the boat...er...flight! :(

photo comparison nexus 7 vs ipad mini

Yesterday I bought the nexus 7...GPS LTE 32 gigs. Expected to pay 349 but it was on sale for 299. YEAH! Nice surprise. My review so far. I'm planning on running the iFly software and have it loaded on both iPad mini and nexus 7 devises. I've used the iPad mini for awhile now but the cockpit readability is poor. It did function well though. My Ipad mini is a wifi only so it was getting GPS from the my sky radar or a dual antenna. Everything worked well most all the time including the ADSB weather from the sky radar. On to the nexus 7.
I chose the nexus because of some comments about superior visibility in the cockpit. I can say I agree. It IS better but not stellar. To put a number on it... maybe 25% easier to see. Now the down side. The GPS is a joke. It locks on for several minutes then drops the sats. I ended up using the dual antenna which was a bit of a chore to get set up. Had to download a bluetooth helper app. With the Dual, it's rock solid. Then I tried to use the wifi to connect with sky radar and no go. It doesn't support their output. I've decided to keep it. I'll still have adsb weather on the ifly 720... it would have been nice to have it on the nexus too. Maybe sometime soon I'll buy the ADSB skyguardtwx which includes traffic too, ($1400). Here are a few pics of the tablets side by side on my porch. To be fair I switched the position of each when in the direct sunlight for a good comparison. The last is in the shade. Hope this helps others.

2d1lr1l.jpg

2rojbcj.jpg

ofahsk.jpg

EDIT NOTE: Earlier post was a couple hours ago. I just looked at it and isn't it ironic I dogged out the Nexus 7's internal GPS antenna. Looking at each photo, I noticed it's got a solid lock. Like a said earlier though, it will loose it after a few minutes.

Last edited:
I've found Avare to be too glitchy/buggy to use for much more than flight planning on the ground. I demo'ed the IFly app and it was much more reliable than Avare. Avare kept sending my final airport destination to someplace out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean at random times. I'm about to give Garmin Pilot a try next.

I have found Avare to be rock solid on my early model Nexus7. The gps has been rock solid also.

EDIT NOTE: Earlier post was a couple hours ago. I just looked at it and isn't it ironic I dogged out the Nexus 7's internal GPS antenna. Looking at each photo, I noticed it's got a solid lock. Like a said earlier though, it will loose it after a few minutes.

Further irony is that the iPad is showing "no GPS lock" in all three photos... ;)

Based on observations on my Android phone, the little teardrop icon at the top of the screen isn't really a "gps lock" icon... It's a "location services enabled" icon, which just means the service is activated. Lock may or may not be present. So I guess it could be worse, if you're judging lock state by the presence of that icon.

GPS lock

Hey snowflake,
This iPad mini is a Wi-Fi device so without external antenna won't have GPS lock. You're right the teardrop Nexus indicates location services enabled. With the Nexus, GPS lock can be seen by the four green bars that's just below upper left of the screen. I should add this to, the GPS lock doesn't work well but I don't know if it's something in the Ifly software not allowing it to talk with the internal GPS antenna despite location services being on as indicated by the teardrop. The reason I say this is because I can disable Wi-Fi and everything in the nexus to use GPS only and I can drive down the road and it follows along perfectly on the nexus's map page. So it may be an issue with Ifly software.

Last edited:
If you haven't tried Avare recently, it is continually being updated with an active developer base. They also have an I/O module to use external GPS/ADS-B components, though I haven't personally used those functions.

Overall, with a Nexus 7 (2012) that has onboard GPS, it's extremely easy to use, great for VFR flying, free charts, auto-switch to airport diagram <40kts on rollout, etc.

They are working on improvements with the planning mode; remember, its a free app but even recently you can skim through airport diagrams or approach plates without changing your route. There is also a glide computation that shows you airfields within the glide range of your aircraft (user changeable for kit planes), so you can find something quick if you lose an engine, etc.

Lots more, and not affiliated, but just throwing examples out there...and again it's completely free.

Back