What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleaning Engine?

crabandy

Well Known Member
I'm close to putting the baffling on permanetly, but would like to clean the engine first. Blowing it off with air romoved some but there is an oily film that the dust/metal shavings etc are sticking too. Should I just ignore it and keep building or spray with engine cleaner and hose off?
Thanks,
Andy

cleaning engine

My experience has been that with certified aircraft, at annual, the A&P uses engine cleaner on the entire engine every year to remove the oil film.

I only do this as needed. My -7 does not need it yet, (it is a 2003.)

"(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine."

Part 43 app. "d" I believe, in the certified world.

At your stage, it would take very little time to wipe down the engine. Might as well keep it clean.

The RV at 500 hours gets a simple wipe down with a clean rag, not much to clean up. I have no pan under the RV.
The Bucker at 2300+ gets the full stoddard solvent treatment with a "wand" hooked up to compressed air. The Bucker is allowed to leak as she has worked hard for many hours. (Most of the leaks are not easily serviceable.) I keep a pan under the Bucker.

CRC Electronic cleaner, shop rag/paper towel. Squirt squirt, wipe wipe. Twist paper into "probe". Squirt poke, wipe. Done. No drips, no funk, no muss. Maybe even a free buzz from the cleaner.

Back