What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"New" Rudder?

cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
I'm on the engine/avionics stage of my looooong build RV-7. So long in fact that I have the old style vert stab/rudder. I haven't ordered the new larger one. Can't say that I care all that much about a half a rotation in the spin recovery enough to build another tail. Anyone else flying the older style rudder?

Keep the small one!!

Dave,
After flying my RV-7A for three years with the big rudder I built and installed the smaller rudder. I had heard it flies nicer with the small rudder.

MAJOR improvement!! It almost flies like a six now.
Before in a hard slip I had to really push hard on the rudder.
Now it's like power steering and I feel like I'm actually getting more rudder authority.

I do quite a bit of formation flying, and you use the rudder a bunch.

I love the small rudder. Thanks for reminding me! I had forgotten how it used to be.

Mark

P.S. I looks better too!!

Last edited:
Small One...

I fly with the small rudder, performs flawlessly and on another note the big rudder is just **** ### ugly thats for sure. :D

@ Mark Burns - I know it's somewhat off the subject but if you're using a whole bunch of rudder during formation flying, it's not the sort of advice you want to propagate on this site. I believe the side by side RV's do fly nicer with the smaller rudder but you don't want fly formation cross controlled i.e. with your feet. It's a dangerous corner to get into as you could find yourself, for example, cutting your engine with the wrong tank selected due to fuel starvation amongst other evils. Try to relax and put your feet on the floor. Formation should be flown in balanced flight. If you're slipping or skidding whilst flying formation, you're trying to get closer and keep your distance at the same time.

Last edited:
Roger,
Very good point! I've been taught not to cross-control. I do find myself flying with a bit of rudder in from time to time and tell myself to "get off that rudder"!

I was thinking more about how when you do a cross-under and slide sideways with wings level. And when you slide out to route formation.

I like your comment:
"If you're slipping or skidding whilst flying formation, you're trying to get closer and keep your distance at the same time."
How true this is! Never thought of it that way.

Thanks Roger,
Mark

RV7 with small rudder

Like you spin recovery speed was not important to me so I stayed with the original small rudder. 600 hrs later and I have never regretted it. I think the big rudder looks too big on these airplanes, especially the A model.

Back