What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying In and Out of Seattle Area

pvalovich

Well Known Member
I'm planning a flight from Mountain Home, ID (U76) to Bremerton, WA (PMT) on Saturday 25 Aug, then to Cameron Park, CA (O61) on Sun. I've never flown in the Seattle area before. I'll hopefully be VFR with flight following with approach.

Question: In crossing Seattle airspace east to west, is there usually an issue overflying Seatac using the VFR transition routes, or is it easier to fly south over Olympia and dogleg north to PMT?

I just flew most of that route this morning (from Logan KLGU to Arlington KAWO). Although you can just go high and fly the straight route, it takes you over some pretty rough terrain and some MOAs and Restricted Areas that just make flight planning difficult.

My route, which avoids all of the MOAs, Restricted Areas, TFRs (fires), and gets you to a safer route to get over the Cascades and around Mt Rainier is...

KMUO Mountain Home
KBOI Boise
KBKE Baker City
KLGD La Grande
KPDT Pendelton
KYKM Yakima
KELN Ellensburg
S93 Cle Elum
S36 Crest Airpark (Contact SeaTac tower before Crest to request the East-West transition)
KPWT Bremerton

Seattle

The vfr transition is an easy thing to do. Don't call approach, they will blow you off. Call the tower as on the TAC. They will give you a squak code and tell you to fly over 34 at 1200 ft. Very fun in a home made airplane with 747s landing under you.
Otherwise go north over PAE to PWT. Hwy 2 route to PAE is easy over the cascades especially this time of the year. Usually CAVU. The north side has few restricted air space.
Near (north of) PWT avoid the nuclear sub base:)
Have fun!

Alternative Route

For those of us at Auburn (just south of Renton), we transition under the 1800' Class B airspace to the south of SEATAC. Once over the water, it's back to 3000' and a straight shot to PWT.

My first impression of Oregon and Washington weather was like this....:)

Taken just over two weeks ago on the Olympia northbound dogleg you mention. Thank goodness for I-5, and Foreflight in this area..

Washington.jpg

Last edited:
Another reminder

The class B airspace changed significantly this year. Be sure to have the new data in your gps and or sectionals!

Back