What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

@#%$& Bird Strike!

I am wondering if some type of protective window film would help:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...cts/Residential/Safety-Security_Window_Films/

FYI - I happen to have a brother who is in the film business and I checked with him about this. The architectural film in the above link will not conform to the compound curves of our canopies. He went on to add that automotive film will BUT that Plexiglas continues to ?off gas?, even years after it is produced, and that the film will start to bubble within a year. The other problem is removal once this starts to happen because you can?t scrape it off.

Flicker rate

At 2500 RPM, a two-tone spinner is rotating at over 40 times per second. Can a bird's eyes even *see* that rapid of a change? The *human* eye can't (which is why movies work at 24 fps, or TV at 30 fps interlaced)...the "refresh" rate of the human eye is around 1/15th of a second.

Are birds eyes "faster" than humans?

Yes, birds ability to see flicker rates is much better than humans. I looked this up once before and if I recall correctly birds can detect flicker up to 100 fps. I also made a test of my own eyes with a flickering LED and confirmed your numbers. Our eyes are much inferior to birds when it comes to flicker. The article I found said birds need this feature to maneuver in forests and to detect movement while hunting. I think it said hawk like birds were the best. Makes sense.

FYI - I happen to have a brother who is in the film business and I checked with him about this. The architectural film in the above link will not conform to the compound curves of our canopies. He went on to add that automotive film will BUT that Plexiglas continues to ?off gas?, even years after it is produced, and that the film will start to bubble within a year. The other problem is removal once this starts to happen because you can?t scrape it off.

Bill,
I called 3-M and got with a nice guy from their aerospace department. He told me what you already stated - their film does not work on plastics. They do not have any safety film for plastic. It needs a "plate glass smooth" finish", to stick and plastic is not smooth enough. He did say the curves would be difficult, but it possibly could be done, but it wouldn't stick because of the rough surface on the plastic. I can imagine screwing it up and then trying to get it off - not a fun thought at all! I tried to put tint on my car windows one time - it wasn't a good experience and removing it was worse.

Yes, birds ability to see flicker rates is much better than humans. I looked this up once before and if I recall correctly birds can detect flicker up to 100 fps. I also made a test of my own eyes with a flickering LED and confirmed your numbers. Our eyes are much inferior to birds when it comes to flicker. The article I found said birds need this feature to maneuver in forests and to detect movement while hunting. I think it said hawk like birds were the best. Makes sense.

Well, I know one hawk that doesn't have much of a flicker rate right now! :D

I like your paint job, nice airplane. Sorry about the damage. :( Hope your boy comes out of this without any emotional issues.

Thanks. My son seems to be handling this whole thing remarkably well. We've had the same conversation about 300 times over the past few days though. It goes like this...

Him - "Daddy, what happened to your big blue airplane?"
Me - "Well, A big bird hit the windscreen."
Him - "It went BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!"

I was reading him his bedtime story the other night and after we had said conversation, I asked him if he wanted to go ride in the airplane again. He responded "yes" like 'why wouldn't I'? That's my boy!

Pictures

Here are a few pictures of the damage.

ycs3.jpg

i4iwbk.jpg

2f09fdz.jpg

25extv5.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the damage.

<SNIP>
Bugger me! Losing perhaps 3/4 of your windscreen and you come out of it with a few scratches and a young bloke who wants to get straight back on the horse, youve got to consider yourself blessed.

Well done, that man!

Bird strike

Greg,
great Job flying your RV to a safe landing. Glad to hear you and Will are doing well. These two things are what matters. The aftermath is time consuming, but safer. :) Hang in there.

I am glad you had a slider. Love the slider forward roll bar and center brace for possible bird strike, or a nose over at an off airport forced landing.

Bird strikes ! This is why I don't fly the coast line or the valleys at low alt., below 1K AGL, (too many darn birds.)

Seen two redtail hawks in formation at 2400 agl the other day. Also heard geese flying at 0200 in the morning, (could make for a bad night flight.)

Back