What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temporary Wing Bolts?

I don't want to use the supplied wing bolts to temporarily bolt the fuselage forward and aft sections together per section 28 and bolts from ACS are very very expensive. What route have some of you taken and size did you use? I also don't want to just get steel because I think it could cause corrosion. Don't hold back and I will take any advice and input. I'm not too proud to ask for help. You guys always have better ideas than just me.
Thanks for the help.
I live in the Chicago area so I can get just about anything here.

I used hardware store bolts and grinded them to a blunt point to make them easier to get in and out. If you lube them it will make it easier to remove. I didnt concern myself with the corrosion issue. Maybe that was incorrect but I did not see any issues.

Similar to Rocky, but got bolts long enough that I could cut off the threaded area, just leave a straight shank. Rounded off the end to make a bit easier to insert.

I was concerned the threaded part could damage the hole inner surface if things were misaligned at all.

So I also used hardware store bolts, 3/8" dia, 4 total with 2 in each wing (one top and one bottom per my plans). I turned the bolts into pins by grinding off the threads and lightly coating them with oil. Worked just fine.

See Step 1 on drawing page 44-3 (Fuselage drawing set). It calls out 3/8" bolts ground down to act as drift pins.:

" Step 1: Slide the wing spar (left shown) into the fuselage and temporarily pin as shown in Figure

When bringing the spar into it's exact position, lining up the bolt holes in the bulkhead and spar,
it is often helpful to use drift pins. This could be a disposable hardware store bolt with the end
rounded or tapered on a grinder. GENTLY driving this lubricated pin into a nearly aligned hole
will center the bulkhead/spar hole so that the bolts can be installed without excessive force.

It is recommended that 3/8 dia. hardware store bolts be used for test fitting to prevent damage to
the holes and NAS bolts. For fitting, it is only necessary to install four 3/8 bolts(pins), one
top and one bottom per wing."

Cheers,

Remember that the wing bolts have a tight tolerance so if you can toss them in a refrig or freezer for about an hour before then add some grease before installing it will make inserting them easier to install.

Don't do what I did

I too got hardware store bolts and not only but they were Grade 8 and anodized.
They "almost" looked like the close tolerance bolts needed for final assembly.
In a moment of over exuberance I accidentally grabbed the close tolerance bolts and proceeded to grind off the thread :eek:.
You can guess the rest of the story....

My zinc plated hardware store bolts didn’t corrode, and still haven’t. And that has been 20+ years, and four RV builds. Of course I lubed them up before inserting them (ground down to a rounded end). You can have them if you want. I’ve built my last RV (almost done).

Thank you but I will save the money and buy some at the hardware store. Shipping would kill me. Haha
Thanks everyone for the information.

The first time I put my wings on was also the final time. It took a bit of prep work and minor changes to the order if operations but it was very much worth it to me to do it that way.

Somewhere along the way I acquired an extra set of the 1/4" wing bolts. I have been using them as temporary bolts. Srayed a little Corrosion X on the shank prior to carefully pushing them in. I'll probably do the same when I use the unused bolts for final wing install, but carefully wipe the threads dry. Not supposed to lubricate the threads, but does make it easier to slide the shank through the close tolerance holes.

Back