What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Rudder Pedals

Toga 1

I recently purchased a beautiful RV-10. The rudder pedals are just a couple of inches forward of what I would consider comfortable for my height. Is the "clip" that attaches the rudder control cable to the rudder pedals essential. It looks like if I eliminate the clip and connected the cable directly to rudder pedal that it would bring the pedal an inch and a half, or so, closer to my feet. Any thoughts??? I know some people have fabricated "blocks" to attach to the pedals. I would like to avoid doing so.

Tim Morris
RV-10 New Owner
Just sold my RV-8

If you remove the links that attache the cable to the rudder pedals, the pedal will move forward as you are suggesting.

BUT.............

The movement will be in an arc, not straight back, and the arc motion will put the brake movement at a greater angle than normal, so you may have a hard time getting the brakes to apply. You could re configure the mounting tabs for the master cylinders, but that sounds like a lot of work.

The mounting blocks for the pedal assembly can be relocated to the aft pretty easily, I did it to my plane.

Thank you for your response... I didn't build this airplane. Where are the pedal blocks located.

If my memory serves me correct, check out Tim Olson's site. I recall him discussing how he built blocks so Andrea could reach the pedals. Knowing Tim, there are probably plenty of photos as well.

Bob

Where as you purchased the RV-10 flying, I'm wandering if your pedal mount is installed in the forward position? There are two mounting positions for the RV-10 .
Ron

Welcome Tim

Here is a picture of what the rudder pedal mounting block looks like.
First determine wich position it is in, forward or aft.
The mounting position in the pic is aft, "for short people".
The rudder assembly is mounted in 3 places, left, right and center.
You will notice the 2 extra holes for the center mount, one barely visible with the nylon backing the other visible between the brake lines. The outside nylon blocks are attached to aluminum brackets wich are then attached to the longeron, you'll see one hole in the picture just forward of the right nylon block. The holes should be there hopefully and changing position is a bit inconvenient but you'll only have to do it once.
Hope that helps

Photo%2520%252031.JPG

If the plane was built exactly to plans, there will be a hole in the longeron aft of the rudder pedal bearing block mount.

If they are in the forward position, you will have fun moving them since it is a finished aircraft. The outer attach points are the easiest to move.:eek: You will have to redrill the center support and then remake the pedal to rudder cable attach clips.

Send me a PM and I'll get you a picture of what you would have to do. Or just fly up to Falcon and join us for Tuesday lunch and I'll show you.

Vans provided two positions for the top of the rudder pedals to be mounted in. I drilled the holes for both positions and I think most builders probably did that. If so they can be fairly easily moved aft. The stock system uses two flat straps on each cable to attach the rudder cables. Shorter ones can be fabricated. Bolting the cable and rudder eyelet directly together is not a good idea because it will eventually make both of the holes egg shaped.

Aerosports makes some .6” thick extenders that I put on mine. I would roll pin them in place like I did after clamping them in place so that they can never rotate on the shaft.

When adjusting pedals, you want harmony between the upper mounting position and the link length. I am 6' tall and I used the fwd mounting position with very short links. This puts the brake pedals at a more acute angle and helps to prevent inadvertent brake application.

I would spend some time experimenting with the different options to get something that works for you. Just be sure that you can get full rudder authority without brake application. RV's have small brakes and can't handle a great deal of dragging. Dragging small brakes can produce enough heat to create fires.

Last edited:
Back