What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best budget engine monitor

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Just have stock vans gauges and a VFR panel. Looking to get CHT/EGT with fuel flow. What's the best budget one.

budget options

A budget option for fuel flow is FC-10 by Flight Data Systems, $409 from Vans including the transducer.
A budget option for CHT and EGT is MGL Avionics TC-4 or TC-5 or TC-6, depending on how many cylinders you want to monitor.

A budget option for fuel flow is FC-10 by Flight Data Systems, $409 from Vans including the transducer.
A budget option for CHT and EGT is MGL Avionics TC-4 or TC-5 or TC-6, depending on how many cylinders you want to monitor.

Those look pretty neat. I’d also be able to put them in place of the existing Gauges and would fit my panel without having to change anything. Any idea if they offer a FF and cht/egt in an all in one package?

MGL Xtreme EMS

Those look pretty neat. I’d also be able to put them in place of the existing Gauges and would fit my panel without having to change anything. Any idea if they offer a FF and cht/egt in an all in one package?

MGL offer the Xtreme EMS that includes FF and cht/egt in the one unit, but it is more costly at $950 for the display plus $200 for the RDAC data collection module. That's without any transducer for fuel flow, which is about $200.
The lowest cost way to do what you want, other than buying second hand, is probably with a couple of separate digital gauges. Even the GRT EIS is more expensive and its display is a bit basic.

Not in a 3" or 2" package, no.

I have the 3" TC-4 for CHT/EGT and 2" FF-(forget the number) for fuel levels and flow in my -6. They've worked great for 10 years now, and still can't be beat for the total cost of the package. I installed a red cube fuel flow transducer when I put the FF-# in, it was a little more money but is future-proofed in that it will talk to any of the modern EFIS' if/when I upgrade further.

+1 for MGL. I put an EMS-2 ($455 plus sensors) in my son's RV6. I am happy with it. Another option would be to buy a used UBG-16. I have one in my 6A and am happy with that too.

Yeah just trying to get the simplest dway to get the data I want, I may end up putting a dynon in if I keep this thing, anyone know the stock sizing of the vans engine gauges? Are they 2 1/4?

Mgl ems red x’s

I purchased the mgl and all sensors running through the RDAC are red x’s. I haven’t started the engine yet. Waiting on response from customer support. Connections ok and RDAC flashing green indicating ready to go. I’m hoping I didn’t waste my money. On my certificated airplanes I use JPI and it was straightforward. I’m worried.

Did you go through the set-up steps to set the parameters of the items you have connected?

MGL Red x’s

Did you go through the set-up steps to set the parameters of the items you have connected?

I did go through the setup for each sender. What troubles me is that everything going through the RDAC is red x’s. I’m planning to investigate the resistors in the CANBUS hi lo wires again. Maybe relocate the resistors closer to the ends?

I have recently purchased the MGL EMS-2 with an RDAC. I set it up on the bench so I could test senders and whatnot. The red X's were there from the beginning. What I did find was that you have to put at least ONE 120 Ohm resistor on one end of the CAN buss. (IF not both, but so far only one at the MGL end of the CAN buss for me.) Without the resistor you will always get the red X's. Since I'm installing in a Long EZ I have a longer CAN buss cable that is approx 10'. But, so far it works with the 120 ohm resistor at the MGL end. Looking forward to getting it in the plane.
One thing I did note was that you have to have the right Oil pressure sender from VDO. They do not put the resistance of the senders in the literature. That would be nice if they did that! I had to attach air pressure to run the VDO sender up and down and check the resistance of the sender. Otherwise, you have to go thru the whole proceedure of calibrating the sender with the unit. What a pain that is. I find that between 10 and 125 ohms from 0-100 PSI is the (Mostly) ideal range for the VDO 10 bar sensor that I have. Many of the VDO sensors I did find have resistances from 10-225 ohms and one started at 300 ohms and went down instead of up! Good thing I checked all this on the bench.

Back