What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Infinity grip pivot spacer

I installed this grip on two planes and will again on the current project.

I looked up the pivot you mentioned. As I read it the gain is you can rotate the grip 45 degrees, and even shift from right to left hand. I do not believe however that you can lock the grip to not rotate. That specified shortfall would veto my ever using this rotating grip feature.

The joy of an RV is the precise, no slop controls. If you are already flying the RV-8 then you know that you don?t really move the stick much to do what you want.

If the grip does not feel right, I suspect it was not properly ?clocked? when it was installed. Is my assumption correct?

Carl

Guess I'll nix that idea! Precise controllability was my concern too when I tried it at the booth at Oshkosh. I thought maybe someone has tried it in an airplane, and could comment.

Infinity grips have a set screw that rides in a groove on the base of the stick. It will move to whatever clock position you want if you loosen the screw. I suppose if you wanted, you could replace the hex head screw with a thumb screw and make adjustments during flight. Very critical however that you keep that screw snug so the grip can't move up and possibly lodge under your instrument panel during flight!

You must have a different "Infinity" grip than anyone else. All Infinity grips I've ever seen or installed have no such feature. They bolt thru the stick.

Infinity grips have a set screw that rides in a groove on the base of the stick. It will move to whatever clock position you want if you loosen the screw. I suppose if you wanted, you could replace the hex head screw with a thumb screw and make adjustments during flight. Very critical however that you keep that screw snug so the grip can't move up and possibly lodge under your instrument panel during flight!

You must have a different "Infinity" grip than anyone else. All Infinity grips I've ever seen or installed have no such feature. They bolt thru the stick.

Maybe they have a new one though.

Has anyone flown with the Infinity pivot? If so, I?d love to hear your feedback. I came across the Infinity booth at OSH today but wasn?t previously aware of the pivot. When the owner described it to me I didn?t think that was something I would ever want. But, after trying out the one on his demo stand for a minute I started to reconsider my initial impression. I?ve never felt the need to have a pivoting stick grip, but I?ve also never flow with a stick grip that was so conformal. Rotating it isn?t really an improvement for left handed gripping, but I do see how it would have its advantages on full stick inputs, such as cross-wind landings.

If anyone has flown with the Infinity pivot I?d love a PIREP.

Thanks,
Rob

I bought a set with my grips but they?re not installed yet. I went back and forth and ultimately decided to go for it.

<SNIP>

Any real world feedback regarding the Stick Grip Pivoting Spacer?

Yup it works great and I don’t even think about it twisting. It allows my hand to be comfortable while flying. Would install it again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Need a relay deck with Infinity grips?

All of you who installed Infinity Grips - I take it you need a relay deck to run things like flaps and trim through the grip? My impression is that the switches alone cannot handle the amperage.

Thanks!

Greg,

You will need some sort of relay block or equivalent. For the flaps for example you need to reverse the voltage on the motor to change the direction. For folks with the Garmin G3X system you can interface to the GAD27 and it takes care of the reversal when required. For other folks I believe Infinity does sell a relay deck otherwise you'll need to find one.

Greg,

You will need some sort of relay block or equivalent. For the flaps for example you need to reverse the voltage on the motor to change the direction. For folks with the Garmin G3X system you can interface to the GAD27 and it takes care of the reversal when required. For other folks I believe Infinity does sell a relay deck otherwise you'll need to find one.

Well so that's what I thought. Nothing has changed since I bought my Infinity Grip. I have a Pat Hatch relay block. Trying to figure out where to mount it.

But, some systems may have this switching function built in. For example:
- Dynon SkyView autopilot module. It does the trim switching when using the standard Infinity Grip top hat as well as AutoTrim when in autopilot mode.
- The nice Flap Positioning System sold by Vans does the switching needed for the flaps from the single toggle switch on the grip.

Carl

Yup it works great and I don’t even think about it twisting. It allows my hand to be comfortable while flying. Would install it again!

Sounds good. When you say you don't think about it twisting, do you mean it twists easily and you don't notice it, or that it takes a lot of effort to twist it and you don't worry about it twisting unexpectedly?

Twists easy

I find it almost unnoticeable and just stays in a position where your wrist fits comfortably in the grip. My sailplane had a grip that did the same thing and I liked it. Over 300 hrs to date in the 14.

Back