What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a CFII in SE with 50hrs RV-10?

kjowen

Well Known Member
Trying to get back in the air after some medical issues - Airport this morning to sit in my AC and get reaquainted with my checklist/panel/etc... also actually read my renewed insurance policy this morning to just make sure. The clause below surprised me! :eek:

Pasted Below:

"(Covered)Pilots:"

"K Owen, holding an FAA Private Pilot Certificate with FAA Instrument Rating(that's me). Prior to solo operations, K Owen, must log two (2) hours of dual instruction from an FAA Certified Flight Instructor who meets the requirements shown below.(OK, 2 hours, that's reasonable since I've not flown since 06/2018)(it goes on to say)"

"Any pilot holding an FAA Private or Commercial Pilot Certificate with FAA Instrument Rating who has logged a minimum of 750 hours as Pilot in Command, 50 hours of which have been logged in a(n) Vans RV-10."

CFII and 50 hours.... Really? This is proving difficult to find locally thus far...

Checking local flight schools now, but, don't most flight schools fly certified A/C?
Also hunting down my insurance agent...

I thought I would put out the request.... Thanks for looking.

Located: KCNI

PM

I don?t see in the quote from your insurance company that the individual must be a CFII.

Yea, I had to read it a few times.... the 1st para says CFI and they add the Inst in the 2nd .... strange, but that?s how I was reading it....

You won?t find RVs at flight schools because they cannot legally be rented out, as is true for all EAB aircraft.

It looks to me like the underwriter got lazy, and simply defaulted to your ?open pilot? warrantee.
Suggestion 1: Find a CFI with at least 10 hrs RV10 time. Submit his/her qualifications to your agent, see if they will approve him or her.
Suggestion 2: Ask Dave Mailb, he?s not too far away, in FL.
Last resort: I?d do it. But I?d ask for airfare to/from the west coast ($$).

Yea, I had to read it a few times.... the 1st para says CFI and they add the Inst in the 2nd .... strange, but that?s how I was reading it....

As I said, this looks like standard verbiage for the open pilot clause. ?Instrument rating? does not mean cfii. These days all airplane cfi?s except a few really old guys (!) have an instrument rating. It?s been a requirement for quite some time.

INSURANCE on RV-10

As I read this thread I have to remind myself: It only says You may not be covered by your insurance company IF, IF, IF something does not go well before you can meet their requirements. It does not say you can NOT fly your own aircraft. It does not say you are NOT qualified to fly your personally owned favorite make & model, it is really saying just go get the experience and training, (if available), get a sign off in your personal log that you have it and then if something happens after, your incident may be covered. (Maybe?) What I disagree with is the requirement being defined down to a "Model" instead of FAA's "Category", "Class" or "Type" such as "Land or "Sea", or maybe they can use Single Engine Tailwheel or Tricycle Gear, but defining to Model level? In my case I befriended an excellent CFII (Catmandu) with plenty RV6A, RV9A, and RV10 experience and we put in the dual and solo time efforts with enough hours to be comfortable to report to my insurance company that I already have met your predicted requirements. They agreed.

Ken,

Have you never flown your airplane? It seems if you?ve flown it, and have 2 hours of dual at any time in it, you?re covered.

If you?ve never flown it, then find the instructor you want to use, submit them to the underwriter, and if it?s a reasonable request, it?ll probably be granted.

Experience

We ran into this with an RV-12 pilot selling his plane and both the seller and new pilot did not have much time in the RV-12.
Insurance wanted something similar but he submitted my time in type and experience (not a CFI) and they approved me to do the 5 hours and get him covered.
Like others have said, it is worth a shot if you have someone local with lots of time.

Ken,

Have you never flown your airplane? It seems if you?ve flown it, and have 2 hours of dual at any time in it, you?re covered.

If you?ve never flown it, then find the instructor you want to use, submit them to the underwriter, and if it?s a reasonable request, it?ll probably be granted.

I have almost 250 hours in my -10.
I feel the rub is that I sat out of the game almost 15 months on the sideline.
They want some experience in the cockpit for my 1st 2 hours back in the saddle.
I have located a few CFII's that have offered to fly with me over the next few weeks, so it looks like it's going to work out. Electronic Media has its benefits.
Thanks to all,
K Owen

Back