What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gas line plumbing

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
hi all,
i have plumbed 2 planes and never run into a problem with my judgement. in my mind what i am going to describe is fine in my application but i am always afraid i don't know what i don't know.
my fuel system of teflon and braided s.s. ends at an inline cartridge filter that is mounted to a bracket by 2 adel clamps. filter is attached by 3/8'' alum. tube to the fuel tank . alignment of fuel filter to fitting of tank is good and tubing is pretty much a ''straight shot''. the run of straight tubing is 2 1/2''. should i have any concerns about this short run of alum. tubing? filter and tank securely mounted to airframe.
thanks for any experienced opinions.

AC43.13 Says....

8-31:

c. Alignment. Locate bends accurately so that the tubing is aligned with all support clamps and end fittings and is not drawn, pulled, or otherwise forced into place by them. Never install a straight length of tubing between two rigidly-mounted fittings. Always incorporate at least one bend between such fittings to absorb strain caused by vibration and temperature changes.

Depending on bracket geometry, your filter may be much more prone to vibration than other fixed entities like the tank... This would be unfavorable with regards to strain on such a short and straight piece of rigid aluminum tube.

Last edited:
well.........i guess finding out how to post pics wasn't as easy as i had thought it would be so i went out to the shop to at least get the pics of my installation to post . when my digital camera refused to work i decided i would just take the time and make another ss braided line 1/8'' shorter than the one i had made too long to begin with. pretty tedious making a new one as absolutely short as could be made with the fittings i had but it is done and fits perfect.
i want to thank everyone who offerd advice or help.

Back