What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fredricksburg

Phil

Well Known Member
So since I missed Brenham, why don't we get a Fredricksburg trip on the schedule!

If you've never stayed at the hangar hotel, you're missing a real treat.

http://www.hangarhotel.com

Phil

Last edited:
All ya' gotta do is pick a date and time, post your intentions to be there on the forums, and see who comes out of the woodwork....

Louise and I were there a few weeks ago (between thunderstorm deluges), and really enjoyed our stay!

Paul

Sara and I were talking about it last night. We're taking a good look at August 10th, 11th, and 12th.

Last time we fly over there, our departure from Sugarland was preceeded by 3 consecutive days of 25-30 knot winds. It blew all the trash out of the air.

We were off KSGR in the dark at 0500. When we leveled off at 3,000 feet, you could literally see forever! We were barely on the outskirts of Sugarland and we could see:

1) Houston (obviously)
2) College Station
3) San Antonio
4) Austin
5) Victoria

... all at the same time. It was an amazing experience. We could see the rotating beacon at the big airport in Austin, so we just pointed the plane that direction and flew.

Around an hour or so later, the sun was coming up. We enjoyed the sunrise on a crystal clear Texas morning.

Once we arrived, we noticed they were having a swift fly-in. It was a great time to talk to the pilots and look at the planes. I met a local builder who just competed a F1 Rocket.

The hotel was amazing. The diner was great. The whole experience was 1st class.

Here's some photos. Notice that clear blue sky!!

Phil

SunSet_Fredricksburg.jpg

Fredricksburg.jpg

Fuel.jpg

Last edited:
Bummer, it's looking like we're going to have to push this back about 2 weeks. I'll post up the new date soon.

Phil

Fredericksburg

If you are in Fredericksburg, we have adult beverages and tea at the Hangar Hotel officers club every Thursday night. Happy hour starts at 7 PM, 1900 hours. We would welcome you and yours in the back, noisy room. We also have breakfast somewhere every Tuesday morning at 08:30.

If you are in Fredericksburg, we have adult beverages and tea at the Hangar Hotel officers club every Thursday night. Happy hour starts at 7 PM, 1900 hours. We would welcome you and yours in the back, noisy room. We also have breakfast somewhere every Tuesday morning at 08:30.

Thanks for the invite! Will likely take you up on it. We'll be down there the last full week of January, from the 20th to the 26th. Will try to stop by on Thursday 24th to meet up with y'all!

Would it be wise to bring my wife along? :eek:

Thanks again!!

Absolutely a wife-friendly destination. She won't get bored, even if she's there a week.

I'd make the trip down there one day to see you too.

Back