What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin temp probe

togaflyer

Well Known Member
When I got my panel from Stein, the temp probe was wired to the panel with about 10 feet of wire run. I read where many probes have been located on the wing at the inboard inspection panel. Do I need to cut the wires and install the probe and run the wires in the wing first, then join them inside the fuselage, or is it possible to run the probe and wires after the wing is installed. I think I know the answer, but just in case......

No.

We found that you can for a Garmin G3X system, run the wire from the wing, just inside the inboard inspection hatch, though the wing and into the cabin, up to the back of the instrument panel with out cutting the wire at all.
Works good, if you need to service it or remove the wing, just unhook it behind the panel and pull it back out through the wing or roll it up as needed.
Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I ran mine from the panel to a CPC at the wing root and then from the CPC to the most inboard wing inspection panel. I reasoned if ever I needed to remove the wing, it would be easier with a CPC connector. However, problems can occur with several joints in a wiring route.

OAT probe

So I have been chasing a OAT problem with my new panel for the last 3 days. It seems you are correct that the Probe only comes with 10 Ft of cable. Stein connects the end to the plug that connects to the AHRS. So, I would tell you to have stein give you 10 ft of twisted 3 conductor wire with shield. One end connected to the AHRS unit plug, and the other left cut. I would then have them just ship the probe loose with the 10ft of twisted 3 conductor wire. I would run the wire from the AHRS unit to the area under the pilots seat. I would then rout the probe from the wing (where the old pitot tube was) to the section under the floor of the pilots seat. I would then coil 1 round of wire splice and secure. this is a great place to cut the wire if you ever need to remove the wing.
Mine seems to have two splices one under the floor and one by the probe. I have to pull the floor tomorrow. I really think I have a bad probe. If I don't find anything wrong with the splice under the floor then I plan to take the probe and crimp female pins to it and hook it direct to the AHRS plug and see if it misbehaves!

I spoke to Stein today and he said spicing a section in between is ok. I thought about under the pilot seat, but it still could be impacted by the exhaust. The wire is a 3 wire shielded, so Tim, maybe the shielding is the issue and not providing ground. I cut the probe wire so I can run it from a spot in the wing to inside the fuselage.

Fixed

Found the splice under the pilots seat had cold solder joints. I replaced them with Raycem crimp splices. I do not recommend using solder splices unless you have the proper heat gun. I have a HT900 that i bought off ebay. It is used to heat shrink all types of splices. I used the Raychem splices and HT900 as an electrician on the F16 for 18 years. The military would never let us use solder sleeves to but splice. Crimps only!! You can buy the splices from Aircraft Spruce. Reds, Blues and yellows. I am not sure what the exhaust has to do with splicing under the pilots seat??? My OAT probe was put where the old pitot tube was! All fixed and ready to go!

Sorry Tom, I misread the under the pilot seat for the probe, not the wire run as you explained. Im glad you discovered the issue and corrected it. Thanks for the info on the splices.

I stuck mine on through the floor of the fuselage, right up in front of the co-pilot right rudder pedal, behind where the cowl meets the aluminum, out of the way of any exhaust gasses. Works great and didn't have to worry about threading through any grommets and out to the wing. Noticed ther is one in a similar location on my Mooney.

Back