What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builder motivation flights

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Not that I'm campaigning or anything, but I'm just curious how often people with flying RVs pull up to the hangars where some slob is working on building an RV and says, "time for you to go for a ride?"

It's happened to me twice in 10 years and I can honestly say nothing helps get an RV finished like those rides, and anecdotally, I don't see it happening very often.

I was thinking of organizing some sort of effort to match builders with flyers, but maybe something like that is already being done.

Yes

Hi Bob,

That is an interesting thought. I have had 3 different people here recently that are either building or thinking of building. I always take them and their spouse for a ride. In fact when they call or email, I tell them to make sure they have time for a ride. I've got two more coming in the next week. Any excuse to go flying!!!

I think it is important to positively represent RV's, Experimental aviation and General Aviation. It is time consuming but well worth the effort. Very rewarding.

To date, I've had over 140 people in my plane. Of those, I know of 6 that purchased kits with a few others working on buying. Lost track of how many actual builders have gotten rides.

So, come on out. We'll tour the State.

From a builder

As someone who is building as the cash comes in (slowly), and flying something else in the meantime, It's awkward to be asking for rides. So if you have a flying RV, consider us builders as people who would love to go fly, and split the gas bill. Flying is such a commitment that asking someone to take time for me is a little to much. Everyone knows fuel is expensive. I have a few people who are learning some basics with me and are happy to split the costs as I am to have a reason to fly and be with like minded people. A joy shared is a joy doubled:D
So if you have an empty seat, feel free to ask if I (we) mind chipping in.

First, I can tell you that we have no active RV builders on our airport, and if we did, I'd be sure to keep them motivated with rides as did Gary Sobek, Walt Hastings and Dwain Harris did for me; maybe got 5 rides in 5 years of building.

Secondly, I can't think of a single person building an RV at an airport, but again, would surely offer a ride if I showed up.

Lastly, you don't have to be building an RV in my book; Just show up to our skypark hangar! No asking or arm-twisting required as I LOVE to give rides to anyone interested in flying :D Rosie

I will help and love it!!!!!!!!!

Any builder or potential builder in my area just let me know as I fly just about every day. I am based at KREI Redlands, Ca. Regards, Allan:D

I LOVE to give rides to anyone interested in flying :D Rosie

Confirmed: Rosie and Dan Hall gave my son and me our first flights over two years ago, and that motivation hasn't waned yet! (and he refused gas money when we offered, too.)

--
Stephen

p.s. Rosie's 500th post: he doesn't write as often as some others, but he gives more to this community than most do!

It gets even worse. I am pretty well along with my RV12, and have NEVER even rode in one! (I hope I am not disappointed). I think I will be one of those that goes out of his way to find builders that need a dose of ambition.

Back in 1996, this was one of the reasons I started ‘The RV White Pages’ - hooking up those 'dreaming RV' with those flying 'em. You click on a link and it gives you the names and numbers (sorted by country/state/city) of builders and pilots around your neck of the woods.

I can’t keep track of all the motivation rides I’ve given over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if it was over a hundred.

3,028 people in 26 countries (and counting): http://www.vansairforce.net/rvwp.htm

Some of the Minnesota listings....
368sj.jpg

Last edited:
RV ride

First post here. Just have to say that I consider flying such a gift that I rarely fly alone. Am always thinking of who to ask to come along. Winter and wind are here now but I hear that Troy flies in spite of it. :)

Ron
1/2 share RV9 built by Troy Branch

http://tinypic.com/r/idhkzp/5

Last edited:
Builder Ride Experience

Hi All-

I was building my 9A for three years before my first ride in an RV. I got to Oshkosh on the first day of the show and went to stand in line at Vans. When the tent opened up for the show, I was in line to sign up for a demo flight in Van's RV9A. :)

After that my project moved up to the Cable airport in SoCal. Gary Sobek took me up for an hour long flight in his RV6. Loved it. He let me fly a large portion of the trip. It was a blast.

Since then I have had two more RV9A rides, and even logged one hour as PIC. Now I am hoping to finally finish my project soon. I can't wait to start offering rides to friends and other builders. I know first hand how much those rides have meant to me.

Great lead in

Just had a gentlemen contact me about a ride and is going to
build a 7 or 7eh, can't wait to give him a ride.
We will have fun just like I did on my first ride.

What a great airplane and there are plenty of people out
there that will share in that.

Boomer

Not that I'm campaigning or anything, but I'm just curious how often people with flying RVs pull up to the hangars where some slob is working on building an RV and says, "time for you to go for a ride?"

It's happened to me twice in 10 years and I can honestly say nothing helps get an RV finished like those rides, and anecdotally, I don't see it happening very often.

I was thinking of organizing some sort of effort to match builders with flyers, but maybe something like that is already being done.

Interesting Bob. I experienced the contrary; absence of RV rides added to motivation to finish it. I live in urban area not many RV builders/pilots are here. Even those few who are they are not online on VAF. During those 5 years of building I knew RVator's names of tristate area by heart. Out of Doug's White Pages never met anyone but tried to call and email. Some responded and wished the best. Some promised to visit my shop and could not make it because of respectable causes. Wannabees contacted and were always busy to meet for a cup of coffee. Out of about a hundred enthusiasts guess how many I met? One. Thanks Robin for coming.

RV rides were given to me by people who are thousand miles away. One came to my place from faraway specifically to give me such a ride. Other offered the ride when we were volunteering at S-n-F. Then at a PA FlyIn that's pretty much it. It helped tremendously and reinforced my stubborness to finish the plane.

Now I am flying and whoever wants to go up just show up by the hangar or give me your coordinates I pick you up. Nothing needed, no gas, no money, zero. Just show up and let's go. Life is good Urbanites :D

It gets even worse. I am pretty well along with my RV12, and have NEVER even rode in one! (I hope I am not disappointed). I think I will be one of those that goes out of his way to find builders that need a dose of ambition.

Don, get hold of Colin and fly it. He's a great guy and I sure enjoyed my ride. You'll love the plane.

Dave
P.S. If only it were a taildragger!

I got my first RV ride at the back seat of a 4 two months before finishing my 9A. Nevertheless it got me excited for a few days. There is just no comparison with the Cessnas and Pipers I used to fly. Since completing my 9A I have given more than 80 people ride. If it is possible I offer the stick to my passenger. A few of my passengers ended becoming pilots. So far nobody started building because of the ride, but a few of them were planning to build or already building. It is a joy to share my hobby with others.

I'm a little outside of your area Bob, but you(and anyone else) in my area are welcome to give me a shout. It doesn't take much to get me to open the hangar...afterall I just read Avgas can go stale.

Just had a gentlemen contact me about a ride and is going to
build a 7 or 7eh, can't wait to give him a ride.
We will have fun just like I did on my first ride.

What a great airplane and there are plenty of people out
there that will share in that.

Boomer

That's me!! And I can't wait to go!! Going to build the 7. Never even flown in an RV and I would start my build today if I had the time. To many people that flipping love those crazy contraptions! :D

Thanks Boomer for the future ride!

It's not easy to ask

Compared with some who have posted here, I'm doing alright in the RV rides department. However there are lots of times when motivation for the build drops and I would love to go for a hop as a 'pick-me-up'.

It is not just the flying itself, it is also the close encounter with a finished RV. In fact, one of the best days I spent on my OSH trip this year was the day we didn't fly. This was spent in a hangar at Davenport Iowa working with a pal of mine on his vapor-locking RV-9A. I got to examine every detail of that aircraft, especially FWF, and stored away memories of dozens of details I did not understand up to that point. (Thanks again Mike).

However, I am always concerned about imposing myself on a pilot to look for a ride. I can't be sure that the ride wasn't given out of politeness. Maybe it's just me but it sure feels better when the suggestion comes from the RV-owning pilot. That way, I know I am really welcome. So pilots, it's great that you have posted your willingness to take builders up for a flight but please consider going a bit further. Use the White pages to seek out shrinking violet local builders like me and invite them for a ride. Don't forget to give them a good chance to look over your plane as well.

For my birthday this year my wife bought me an hour of transition training in an RV-7. I has been a great boost for my building. The flight also answered a lot of questions for me, such and instrument placement, seat cushion choice, ect.

I have been working on my RV for about 2.5 years now and have been exposed to a total of 3 RVs. I got to sit in Mel's (first RV I saw in person), i was working on my wings at the time. I saw one parked at McKinney Airport, not sure of the owner. Plus the recent transistion training/first flight in and RV with Alex at Eagles Nest.

When I eventually finish my 6A, I plan to give plenty of rides!

Some thoughts

If the "slob" is working on building an RV - LEAVE HIM OR HER ALONE. It is sometimes difficult for working adults to schedule everything, organize the work session and maintain the focus necessary to complete the task at hand with desired results.

I did get a ride with Ken Scott in the RV-6 when I went for builder training at North Plains, Oregon. I had already ordered the kit. I found the airplane very easy to fly and similar in many ways to the Archer I owned at the time. It was informative but not motivational. Once I committed to the build there was no drop in motivation - so much family money was committed that was not a luxury I could consider even though with my work schedule and four hour daily commute to work it took 8 years to complete.

I don't know of any effort but perhaps this "white Pages" list could have an asterisk added to the names of willing motivational flight givers. I understand your hesitation to start something new that may be a duplication of effort.

Bob Axsom

I met and flew with two rv guys during my two year build. Ted(above poster)was one of the reasons I finished quickly. Not only the motivational flights but build advice, flying advice, trip reports/pics/videos.

I think there are many reasons some pilots don't offer rides. This is from a 155 hr and very new 17 hour rv pilot.

One needs to feel proficient/confident in their flying abilities as you are a teacher for a short time, build up trust in their plane, take responsibility for another persons life over a thousand feet in the air as aircraft insurance will only cover something very minor, be willing to answer the many why/how questions new builders/pilots have, be prepared for any passenger/plane emergencies and of course have excess fuel money.

As a passenger that ask many questions I have to remember the sterile cockpit rule on takeoff and landing. After flying a few different rvs, one can decide whether it is worth putting this or that gadget into your build. I kept mine fairly simple as far as ifr goes, but now desire some insulation for the noisy floor area. ANR's are getting me by for now.

Now even with my own plane it is still a blast to go flying with someone else. Thanks Geoff!

If you are interested in going up, let everyone know on here and not just once. Later on next year I plan to be ready to offer some rides.

Thanks!

Hi Bob,

That is an interesting thought. I have had 3 different people here recently that are either building or thinking of building. I always take them and their spouse for a ride. In fact when they call or email, I tell them to make sure they have time for a ride. I've got two more coming in the next week. Any excuse to go flying!!!

I think it is important to positively represent RV's, Experimental aviation and General Aviation. It is time consuming but well worth the effort. Very rewarding.

To date, I've had over 140 people in my plane. Of those, I know of 6 that purchased kits with a few others working on buying. Lost track of how many actual builders have gotten rides.

Thanks again for the ride this morning Darwin. It was fantastic! Your plane handles like a dream. I really need to get mine done.

Dear Santa, my emp and wings are done, and before I purchase the fuse, can you help me decide if I want a trike or tail dragger? You see Santa, I am still waiting for a chance to buy some avgas for someone....

Im in

I'm in either the Salt Lake area or Heber, UT. Flying RV-10. I would love to take anyone interested. I would like to pass it along. Neil Salmi gave me my first RV ride in his -4 and Scott Schmidt gave me my first ride in a 10.

Tim Olson came by a couple of times while we were building and gave us a ride at least once. I really appreciated it and I have been passing it forward since moving to FL. I have given several rides since moving here. The most recent was last weekend.

Got a ride from Van in his rv12 while finishing my rv6. That was a pretty fantastic opportunity!

Made me wonder why I was building a 6. That 12 has fantastic visibility!

I gave a ride recently to a buddy building an 8a and we had a great time. I definitely prefer flying with passengers and co-pilots. Though I keep offering a ride to someone on the field working on an rv4. He hasn't gone up with me yet. Always too busy building.

I am more than happy to share the joy of my flying rv to builders! Great idea!

Builders Rides

I've given dozens of rides to active and wanna-be builders alike. I took one to a Space Shuttle launch and Kitty Hawk, and another to Mecca (Oshkosh!).

I think flying, especially in an RV, is a wonderful thing and I would rather share it than go alone anytime.

I really enjoy "infecting" kids with the aviation bug and I've flown over 140 Young Eagles in the 5 short years that I owned my RV-6A.

Hit the EAA 582 website link below, that's me in most of the Young Eagle slideshow photos, kind of hard to tell who's having the most fun, isn't it!

I placed at least six calls today looking for someone to fill an empty RV-7 seat for a 99 NM breakfast flight tomorrow morning, do you think I had any luck finding someone for a Christmas Eve morning flight?!? Not this time... :confused:

That won't stop me from trying, I'll make more calls next time I go somewhere too!

If you "need" an RV ride in NW Ohio/SE Michigan shoot me an email, we'll see what we can work out!

I might even get another "Finder's Fee" check from Van! :D

I'm in either the Salt Lake area or Heber, UT. Flying RV-10. I would love to take anyone interested. I would like to pass it along. Neil Salmi gave me my first RV ride in his -4 and Scott Schmidt gave me my first ride in a 10.

Neil's RV-4 is the reason I built my -7. Also I share his hangar. RV's and RV people area the best

Dear Santa, my emp and wings are done, and before I purchase the fuse, can you help me decide if I want a trike or tail dragger? You see Santa, I am still waiting for a chance to buy some avgas for someone....

Hey Bret (and others),

C'mon up to Stead! Based here are a 3, 6, 6A, 7, 7A, 8, 9, and 9A, and in many cases more than one of the various types. Gotta be 15+ RVs flying or under construction here (as is the case at so many airports all over!) Even one single seat 6 build in progress...its like a wide 3, and shares a hangar with Rare Bear! (true story!)

My airplane is down for a prop and various winter mods, but when its flying, like Rosie said, it takes less than a few inch-pounds of torque on my arm to fly (like zero)...same is true with most of us here. So get on up here and let us show you around...I can do the ride beggin' for ya till I'm flying again! :D

Same is true for all that get to Reno or Stead. Holler, and we'll come out to play!

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Darwin, thanks a lot for showing me your plane & projects as well as the fantastic flight in your -7. Still haven't gotten rid of the RV :D and am getting closer to purchasing.

If you are ever in the Phoenix area and need some builder motivation, let Darwin know. Super accommodating, stand up guy...

Hey Bret (and others),

C'mon up to Stead! Based here are a 3, 6, 6A, 7, 7A, 8, 9, and 9A, and in many cases more than one of the various types. Gotta be 15+ RVs flying or under construction here (as is the case at so many airports all over!) Even one single seat 6 build in progress...its like a wide 3, and shares a hangar with Rare Bear! (true story!)

My airplane is down for a prop and various winter mods, but when its flying, like Rosie said, it takes less than a few inch-pounds of torque on my arm to fly (like zero)...same is true with most of us here. So get on up here and let us show you around...I can do the ride beggin' for ya till I'm flying again! :D

Same is true for all that get to Reno or Stead. Holler, and we'll come out to play!

Cheers,
Bob

Hey, were you at Gregs BBQ after the Reno race last year?

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac158/bret496/DSC01295.jpg

Hey, were you at Gregs BBQ after the Reno race last year?

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac158/bret496/DSC01295.jpg

Bret,

I missed that one because someone decided that was a good weekend to have a HS reunion. I was at Greg's house for the dialed back R3 BBQ, but will be there next year for sure. I know that place well, and see the ususal suspects!

Honest though, you're welcome to visit and hang out any time...and if ya need a spare set of hands ever, just holla!

Cheers,
Bob

Bret,

I missed that one because someone decided that was a good weekend to have a HS reunion. I was at Greg's house for the dialed back R3 BBQ, but will be there next year for sure. I know that place well, and see the ususal suspects!

Honest though, you're welcome to visit and hang out any time...and if ya need a spare set of hands ever, just holla!

Cheers,
Bob

Cool! thanks Bob. Happy holidays

You're not alone, Don. My RV-12 is 2/3 finished and I've never even sat in an RV! Seen plenty closeup and flying though.

I will say that since I starting flying (low hours pilot here) and building, I've met a lot of enthusiastic and talented aviators, which would never have happened otherwise. I've even been able to assist one or two later builders with specific RV-12 help and advice, which has been very rewarding. Motivation comes in all forms, and I'm having fun!

Well I am glad I am not the only one, misery DOES love company you know. I am lucky though, up the road a little ways are two guys with an RV12 all legal to give transition training, so I hope to get some RV12 stick time in before I launch mine into the sky. I don't FEEL like it would give me any surprises I couldn't handle, but I would rather bend up THEIR planes in my learning curve.

You're not alone, Don. My RV-12 is 2/3 finished and I've never even sat in an RV! Seen plenty closeup and flying though.

I will say that since I starting flying (low hours pilot here) and building, I've met a lot of enthusiastic and talented aviators, which would never have happened otherwise. I've even been able to assist one or two later builders with specific RV-12 help and advice, which has been very rewarding. Motivation comes in all forms, and I'm having fun!

It gets even worse. I am pretty well along with my RV12, and have NEVER even rode in one! (I hope I am not disappointed).

Took me 9 years to build my 6A and my first ride in any RV was my transition training with Pierre Smith 3 months before first flight. I was to go on a ride in an RV with Jim Cone about 6 months into building one day after he was done flying young eagles. There were a lot of kids to fly and he did not finish until late so I passed on the ride figuring there would always be another day. The very next day his RV-6A was distroyed in a tornado that hit the airport.

Single Seat 6?

Hey Bret (and others),

... Even one single seat 6 build in progress...its like a wide 3, and shares a hangar with Rare Bear! (true story!)

Cheers,
Bob

Is the cross section of the fuselage reduced as the wing airfoil thickness increases?

Bob Axsom

New to VAF and 52F

Back in 1996, this was one of the reasons I started ?The RV White Pages? - hooking up those 'dreaming RV' with those flying 'em. You click on a link and it gives you the names and numbers (sorted by country/state/city) of builders and pilots around your neck of the woods.

I can?t keep track of all the motivation rides I?ve given over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if it was over a hundred.

Doug,

Great job on developing and maintaining the most useful and inspirational online community that I have personally ever seen.

I am new to VAF and also to 52F. I certainly have the "RV Fever :D" and very much look forward to meeting you in person some day soon.

I bought Wayne's hangar on the West side of the field this past summer. I am out almost every day, so let me know when you are ready for me to top off the tanks on your RV.

And congratulations on your daughter's outstanding SAT scores.

All the Best,

Clayton

A Different Opinion

Bob,

I used to fly my Beach P35 from St Martin to OSH for the show, I lived on a sailboat. I dreamed fo building my own airplane. But,, I lived on a boat.
Life changed and I moved to Dallas. All those years looking at the RVs at OSH. Pent up motivation, When I started building I was off to the races!!

I knew that I wanted an RV. Did not need a ride. In fact the day Martin Sutter came buy and offered me a ride, I went, but I wanted to stay in the shop.
When talking to the Vans factory in July 1995 they said it would take 3 months to get me a wing kit! Heck! I am going to be finished and needing a fuse kit in 3 months. I was motivated!! I went to Mel's chapter 168 joined the chapter and ask if any one had a RV kit fore sale? 2 guys did. I bought a tail and wing kit from one of them and had the wing and tail kit finished in 3 months. Brought the kits home July 15th, 1995, Receved the Fuse kit in October that same year. The next July, 1996 I was receving the finish kit and the engine from Vans. I was downsized that same month. Out of a job and More motovated to finish.
I really did not want to take time off for a ride. I first flew that RV6 October 16, 1996. Put 300 hours on it the first year flying. I taught my self to fly it. A real easy plane to fly, easy, easy, easy!! I did not have any tailwheel time either.
Am glad to share the RV I fly now, it is an RV8. Now, I will go flying for fun and interupt work for most any excuse, the 'Hog Trough' Scorch? Danny?

Last edited:
Is the cross section of the fuselage reduced as the wing airfoil thickness increases?

Bob Axsom

Bob,

Do you mean like an aerodynamic coke-bottle effect?

I don't think there's anything that fancy going on, but the fueslage is narrower. He used the 6 cowl and firewall, and then it narrows back from there, on what looks like a straight line back to the tail. Each fueselage former was narrowed going rearward, then at some point its back to the normal cross-section.

The canopy is a narrowed 6 canopy, specially ordered. Front piece kinda looks like an 8, with a similar canopy bow, rear piece of the slider has the lines of a 6.

The cockpit footwells look like a wide 8, with a tunnel between the feet for boost pump ext, and rudder pedals set wide apart. Foot pedal width kinda reminds me of a Stearman (sort of).

Probably a very comfortable single seat RV, though I'm not sure any performance advantages exist over other RVs at all. More of a fun build project for the guy, as far as I can tell.

Interesting build, for sure. Same gent had a hand in building 6's for the Nigerian AF, and works on Rare Bear and other racers in that hangar.

Cheers,
Bob

I guess this is a little drifty but ... What is he powering it with.

Bob Axsom

Perhaps, but we drift alike Bob...my first thought was it could be a screamer! It has a 360 on it...but a 540 would be sump'n on it! Of course it's pretty far off the reservation anyway!

To keep it from getting too far adrift, seeing things like this (builds of all varieties) at various airports around the country is motivating too...and if you can get a flight in too, all the better!

I really love the spirit of this thread!!

Cheers,
Bob

Here is motivational

Let's say he clips the wings, installs retractable gear including the tail wheel and one of those 360 HP round Russian engines and calls it Little Rare Bear/RV-6.

Bob Axsom

Let's say he clips the wings, installs retractable gear including the tail wheel and one of those 360 HP round Russian engines and calls it Little Rare Bear/RV-6.

Bob Axsom

I love the way you think Bob! ;)

I'd really appreciate seeing this airplane if you're able to get some pics for us.

Thanks,

I'll swing by after this work trip and ask if he minds, then take and post some, if he gives me the green lite (just want to be courteous...I doubt he'll mind).

Cheers,
Bob

Back