What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition inspection supplies

Maverick972

Well Known Member
I have used the search function and still cannot find the thread where someone listed all the hardware (screws and such) they order for the conditional...

Can someone point me in the right direction. Thank you

I haven't seen the thread you're referring to. I've done all the inspections on my RV. Most all of the screws you remove you can reuse. DON'T put one back in if the head is messed up because when you need it out again... you may have to drill it out. Pain in the backside! One thing I did that I found to be very beneficial over time.... every time I ordered a canopy struts/gasket/brake pads/o-rings/parts of ANY kind, begin making a list with where you bought them as well as the part numbers and the phone numbers of the business. I get almost everything from Aircraft Spruce. I have had to order a few things elsewhere. Saves a lot of research digging in the future looking for the same item.
I found that it also helps to make notes about the particular idiosyncrasies specific to your plane. Things you won't remember by the next inspection.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

P.S. As far as screws and washers... order a hundred or so at a time. Do this before you start your inspection. Removes the temptation to reuse a bad screw that will cause you trouble later.

Edited: Another thing that I've done is each time I've ordered anything, if it's not too expensive I try to order an extra or two Especially gaskets/o-rings etc. I have a box of lot's of spare parts that I keep in my house. The idea here is to prevent excess downtime.

Last edited:
Build up a list of all the consumables you will need for the CI specific to your plane with part numbers and order up a good supply so they are on hand:

Oil
Filters
crush washers
Star washers
Inspection cover screws
Brake relining pads and rivets
Brake relining tool
Brake caliper piston O-rings
Wheel cotter pins
Cotter pin assortment
Various spray lubricants specific to your plane
A good assortment of the common AN bolt, nuts and washers.

This is just a start. Keep good records though of part numbers so you don't have to look things up through the plans every time you need to re-order and stock up. Add/delete to your list as you go, or things are changed.

I’m also ordering 99% of my needed stuff thru ACS, and have all the items listed in their wishlist.
Click them when needed and they are in the basket, pay, and presto they’re on the way.

From my CI checklist (I'd be happy to send you a copy of it if you'd like).It's in a Word file, and gets updated with specific dates, hours, and new info every year prior to starting the CI.

Preparation — Inspection Consumables
Oil 8 qts AeroShell W 100 Plus
Oil filter Champion CH48110-1 or Tempest AA48110-2
Oil sample kit Blackstone Laboratories
Spark plugs Champion REM38E or Tempest UREM38E (as needed)
Spark plug gaskets 8 copper gaskets
Alternator belt
Air filter recharge kit K&N 99-5000
Brakes Brake lining replacement kit (Rapco RA66-106); Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
Tires/tubes 2 - 5:00x5-6 ply, as needed; TBD (nose)
Wheel bearing grease Mobil SHC 100
Cotter pins Misc. sizes, including gear nut size
Gasket lube Dow DC-4
Gaskets Fuel injection inlet, oil screen
Light lubricant LPS-2 or comparable light lubricant for rod end bearings
Greases Aeroshell Grease 6 (prop), Mobil SHC 100 (wheels), heavy-duty general purpose (nose fork)
Safety Wire .020, .032, .040

Preparation — Expendables
Absorbent Materials Paper towels, microfiber clothes
Solvents Hoppe’s 9, mineral spirits, MEK, denatured alcohol, Mouse Milk, Brake Kleen, Anti-seize
Cleaners Detailing spray, wipes, etc.

Time-limited items
Item Last change Next due
ELT batteries (replace every 2 years) May 2019 2021
ELT remote battery (replace every 8 years) June 2020 2028
Altitude encoder & transponder certification March 2019 2021

Not everything is used for every CI (e.g., I do bearings, injectors, and a few other things "on condition" rather than by time or hours), but I have all of these things ready to go.

I also have a gajillion screws, bolts, nuts, washers, cotter pins, AN fittings, you name it, because any time I need some, it's usually more cost-effective to order a bunch more at that time.

And, I have a stock of things on the "ready spares" shelf for things that might need to R&R'd during the year. A spare brake master cylinder, a bunch of O-rings of various sizes, a couple sets of brake pads, a spare spark plug or two, various lengths of hoses, a metric ****-ton of wire in various gauges, etc. Even a spare fuel cap. Anything that might break and I don't want to wait for a replacement part.

I see that I've left off the copper-fiber crush gasket for the oil finger strainer...have to add that this year to the document :).

Last edited:
Back