What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What sort of sawhorses for the wings?

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Well, my -12 wings will be shipped in a couple of months and In order to be ready,, I'll need to build some sawhorses. Any advice on dimensions, caveats, etc would be appreciated.

Best,

Pierre build them high enough that you won't have to do much or any lifting when installing them on the fuselage.

At same stage

About to start the wings, kit delivered a couple of weeks ago. Feel free to come measure etc to determine what would be best. I plan on building them on a carpeted table.

To build the wings all you need is a moderately-sized table or two. Typical foldable party tables worked fine for me. Throw an old quilt or HF moving blanket on top of the tables for cushioning and anti-scratching. When the wings were completed I stored them leading edge down in a classic wing stand that uses carpet slings to support the outboard portion of the wing and a common sawhorse to support the spar tangs. Since the wings are virtually "self-jigging" and require no formal jigging to construct you can build them just about anywhere.

For my -8 QB wings I built mine high for the work that needed to be done. Then I cut them down late in the process for painting. So the height is a question of your height and how much back bending you want to do / the tasks you need to do.

Not sure of the -12 wing construction, but for the -8 wings PVC pipes thru the ribs at both ends works great for flipping them over for work and painting.

The packing crate wood was all the material I needed for saw horses and lots of other things.

I use either carpet or pipe insulation foam on my horses and various stands and part handling rigs.

I hate plastic, but a pair of $30 Stanley plastic horses have come in very handy for me and are sturdy enough for me to trust them.

When I built my -10 I used 4 standard plastic saw horses and laid the spar across them. I then shimmed everything level/square to ensure I didn't induce any twist. Everything came out true.

I would say 2 horses are too few as you will probably get a bit of a sag ......

Check out Eastwood.... fully adjustable and steady. Should be more than high enough unless you are a giant. Much better than any others you would find at a box store and if you sign up for newsletters you get free shipping. After a lot of searching and experimenting- I’ve found these to be the best.

Back