What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Often To Switch Tanks?

THINK - about fuel mgt

Wow - We, as a group, have 6+ pages of differing procedures for everything!;)

FWIT, I will never again switch to the fullest tank prior to take off and see no reason to switch to an unknown fuel source during / before any low margin operation. If I'm low to the ground and it's running, leave it alone.

Interesting discussion. I fly solo in a 6A most of the time so I start off imbalanced because my lard butt is sitting on the left side. I taxi, run-up and depart on the right tank......

Ditto

Now that I'm running on the right tank again I run it empty, or close to empty, before switching back to the left tank and planning my next fuel stop. I have 9 gallons left to plan that stop and usually end up with 4 to 5 in the left tank when I refuel. .

Ok, Gary you are the guru as far as I am concerned. However, I leave fuel in my right tank THINKING that most runways have left traffic and the chances of running out while banking left are lower than having 6 gallons in the left tank, banking left. Am I not thinking correctly?

I do it this way to keep my remaining fuel in one tank and not split between tanks.... .

Ditto

Well, one time Carolyn was monitoring the fuel pressure as we were getting close to running the right tank dry. She was checking the map/gps looking for the next fuel stop and forgot about the fuel pressure. It wobbled and soon after the engine quit.

Maybe illustrates my thinking. What say you?

Ok, Gary you are the guru as far as I am concerned. However, I leave fuel in my right tank THINKING that most runways have left traffic and the chances of running out while banking left are lower than having 6 gallons in the left tank, banking left. Am I not thinking correctly?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that as long as you're in a coordinated turn, the fuel thinks you're straight and level. It feels 1 G straight down the vertical axis so therefore the fuel won't slosh to one side or the other.

YUP..... keep the ball in the middle.
Just as point of interest (maybe).. my 9A has a slip skid ball attached to the face of the glove box. If my wife is doing that base to final turn... she knows the quality of the turn as well. No paralax error.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that as long as you're in a coordinated turn, the fuel thinks you're straight and level. It feels 1 G straight down the vertical axis so therefore the fuel won't slosh to one side or the other.

See, that's why I love VAF. I never thought of it that way. I was just thinking "downhill". Thanks Kelly.

I sit on the left side.....only carry fuel on the right side.
Fuel selector always points right. Doesn't everybody fly this way?:D

My experience is mainly in a Diamond DA-20 (single tank in fuselage behind the seats) and when I flew the school's rental 172s, my flights were typically about an hour (with both tanks topped off), so I've never really had to get into the mode of switching the valve. That will change!

Good info here. If a totally inept/distracted pilot was oblivious to fuel consumption and ran one tank dry, at least the fuel in the second tank functions as a reserve. Same pilot, same situation, feeding on both tanks at once, and you've got a real problem.

"Stupid pilot tricks" and crashes due to fuel exhaustion never cease to amaze.

dual fuel flow?

has anyone considered or done a fuel flow install for each tank? I realize it sounds like overworking the problem, but still....might keep you from wondering if you remembered to switch tanks, etc....

On my 1999 -6A with float level senders, I run one one tank until the gauge comes off the full stop, then switch. Then I run the other to 3/4 full and switch every quarter tank. I want to be near my destination when switching to the last quarter. Works very well except for the time a float developed a leak!

On my -10 I have the nice lady remind me every 5 gallons.

If both tanks are full I **always** take off on the left, climb and switch at 5 gallons burned, and then switch every 10 gallons thereafter - never more than 5 gallons out of balance.
I keep a post-it on the panel and mark "picket fence" fuel changes as the LongEZ holds 27 gallons per side, and after 5-6 hours of flight there have been a lot of tank changes. If already descending for landing I may not make the final tank change as I prefer not to change what's been working well during the flight.

During really long X/C's I may run a tank dry to ensure I don't leave 2-3 gallons in one tank, but only if directly overhead a safe and convenient enroute airport.

Last edited:
Use your watch!

If the minute hand is from half past to the hour, use the left tank, when its on the hour to half past use the right tank. Does it need to be any more complicated?

( apologies to those who have migrated to the digital age!)

Actually, I thought the minute hand pointed at the tank your supposed to be on...
@45 past it points to left tank, @15 past it points to the right tank...

Full tanks

On full tanks, I start with the left tank and stay with it till the indicator moves, about 5 gallons in and switch. Repeat with right tank then another 5 per side. After that, 2 gallon increments. Just a math thing for me:) I like to try to see how close I can have each tank on landing. Fun stuff.

Back