What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Satisfaction with the RV-12

garyr78

From the survey that was done, it looks like about 60% of completed RV-12 builder/flyers are satisfied with their RV-12s. One would think that it would be higher, any idea why the satisfaction rate is not higher?

My RV-12 has been flying since May, 2012 and I've accumulated around 115 hours. To everyone who asks, I tell them the same thing; this is one sweet plane. During my bienniel check ride two months ago, the instructor flew the plane more than I did. He'd never flown an RV-12 and couldn't get enough of it.

I was unaware of any poll of RV-12 satisfaction.

It's higher than 60% now. Just completed that survey. Didn't know it existed. I would imagine those results are skewed as in progress builders did not answer the last question. I've never heard dissatisfied owners or builders unless they live under a rock with the Geico man.

In reality, I think you will find a much higher satisfaction rate than %60. JMO:confused:

Last edited:
Kyle is correct, I'm guessing! That poll couldn't really be very accurate, based on the way the questions were worded. A person still building couldn't really answer the last question. As a result, I am certain this severely impacted the percentages.
???????????????????????????????????

This survey has some great data, but it does leave some questions. Adding together numbers 4 and 5 (Very Satisfied) brings the total to nearly 95% of those who have completed their planes. There are many people (myself included) who hesitate to check the highest on any survey. The source of that tiny bit of negativism could be in their own workmanship, a small difference in design opinion (it shoulda been a tail dragger...) or that they had to wait too long for the Skyview. As I recall, that was a source of displeasure about that time. And we can't forget that this is a VERY discerning group!

Writing questions for surveys is an art form. The forum questions are by design limited in length, and it would be difficult to pose questions that do not allow interpretation. As I read the survey, it says no one is dissatisfied and 93.5 percent are pretty darn satisfies with the RV-12. I would put the margin of error at 6.5%!

BTW, I love the plane, both in performance and concept. 100% in my book...

Bob

Nice airplane

I own and fly a 7a and a Champ 7CCM and I love both of them. I had the opportunity to fly in Bill Hollifields RV12 a little while back and think it might be a lot more "airplane" than the Champ. Compared to the Champ, it's a lot more maneuverable, quicker, more responsive, cheap to fly, an all round great airplane. It's not a 4,6,7,8,9, or 14 but those are different missions.

If there is any dissatisfaction, I would suppose it would be the "I wish I had done this" or "I wish I had added that" but certainly not the "I don't like the airplane" kind.

Just my .02

Good feedback folks, thank you. Having built an RV-8 empennage, wings and fuselage about 8 years ago, before I sold it, due to other life commitments, I know from experience that Van's kits are top notch.

I am in the process of deciding which kit to go with this time around, the RV-12 or the RV-14, hence my question to the forum. I realize these two planes have totally different missions, but basically what I've narrowed down to my short list.

Thanks,
Gary

Having built and or flown most of the RV models. I would say the 12 is my second most favorite. If I was not so heavily involved in formation and aerobatics I would probably put it at the top!
It is simple. That translates into fun. Once all the newness of our vastly complex IFR traveling machines wear off and we take our heads out of the manuals and stop pushing all the buttons, we are left with a stick and a window.

The RV12 flys as good or better than any other RV!!!!!!!!! The stick forces are PERFECT!!!!!

The VIEW is unmatched!!!!

What more could we want!

I'm with Jon

Absent the fact that the RV-12 was the only RV that I could have built with my limited time, attention span, and technical skills, I also gave up 40 knots, twice the fuel cost (by time, not miles), and aerobatic capabilities when moving from an RV-6 to my RV-12.

I have never regretted it.

Buying a Motorized Vehicle? Take a Test Ride

My experience has been a test ride (or flight) is mandatory when buying a motorized vehicle. Car Sales for Dumbies says on page 1, "Test ride sells the car. Period". After my Harley Road King was totalled in Hurricane Sandy I test road fifteen bikes of all makes, shapes and sizes. Like a wife (or husband ) you will "know" when it is right.
I am still paying for kid's college (grad school now) and flying my long standing and long paid for C-150. I purposely have avoided flying an RV-12 because I KNOW I will want it immediately.

In case anyone is interested my final choice was a 2013 Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom. Went to Americade at New York's Lake George and test rode it through the Adirondacks three times. No question it was "THE one".

I am just a simple student pilot, but I have a few hours in Cessnas, Pipers, and Diamonds. With 10 hours in the 12, I can say without doubt that it puts them all to shame. I can also state that it probably isn't the best plane to learn to fly in because it is so quick on the controls. I am very fortunate to have a 22K hour retired Air Force pilot as my instructor. I just wish he would forget the whacking stick more often. :eek:

Back