What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introducing 'The Van Cave' ....

Way Cool!

Hey Doug.....that is a great decision! Especially knowing that the "Van Cave" will be a code name for what is ultimately another "Man Cave":D:D

Hey Doug, I may have missed it elsewhere....how much $$ to rent a space? [ed. PM sent....]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!

Doug,
That's awesome, Brother! I'll swing by next time I'm in Flower Mound.

Doug,
Congratulations on the purchase, it's bound to be a great investment. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Tim

Wow

WOW, I wish my hangar looked like that.

Don't forget to make space for the occasional "passer by". Couch looks comfortable. I bet Vlad is eyeing it up already. :D

Thanks for the kind words!

I consider each Friday morning after pushing out the site my Saturday morning (I work Sunday afternoon/evenings), so I’m just now back in the door from a short hop in the RV (9 minutes).

For the first time in my life I taxied up to a hangar, hit a button on a remote, and watched the door come up for me. I shut down in the shade provided by that door and washed the plane (the top surfaces).

It’s hard to put into words how pleasant the whole thing was. Of course, the entire time some of the locals were on the couches solving the world’s problems, and busting my chops for not having the bathroom/shower finished. Already feeling the love. ;^)

Looking forward to years of news theVanCave should generate, with visitors and such.

Again, thanks for the kind words.
Br,
dr

Last edited:
Wow, everything is truly bigger in Texas. Nice!

The small hangar that I share here in expensive California is more like the Van's Shoebox!

Enjoy your new digs.

DC (Dream Cove) !

On my bucket list to visit DC after painting :) You are living the dream Doug. [ed. Just trying to be like you, Vlad! You set the bar pretty high. dr]

Here are some nice furnishing ideas!:D

http://www.motoart.com/

[ed. Maybe in another life! The couches were donated by the former owner. No extra money budgeted for furniture, I'm afraid. Couch or lay on the floor <g>. dr]

i can smell the friday night burgers cookn from here. that is a pilots dream! congrats on a great lookn space. looks first class. wife lookn for yoga class space? workn on my own hangar space in florida. they say, if you build a hangar build it BIG. looks like you did well. will be by some day for a look. may put in a section of moduline cabinets. http://www.modulinecabinets.com/cabinet-combinations.html :)

[ed. If they want to give me some that would be OK! 'Cuz that's the only way it's gonna happen, I'm afraid. :^) dr]

size

Hi
congradulation. Very nice

My hangar ( co-op so our hangar) is under construction. Can i ask you the size of yours. Just so i can figure if my math is ok. we made 4 spot of 70 ft wide X 40ft for 3 airplane each ( with a door of 60ft)

i know yours is more deep but how wide is it?

thank you

[ed. 70'wide x 60' deep. 4,200 sq ft. I used photoshop and created a rectangle 7 inches by 6 inches, then went to Van's site and downloaded some of their plan views. Resized them to be the appropriate size (ex: 22' wide wingspan would be 2.2", and used them to help lay out the floorplan. Seems to have worked out OK, as the real planes are behaving similar to what I was hoping for in the actual hangar).

theVanCave_3renters.jpg

Hope this helps... dr]

Lan -

Is that a Luscombe that I see in the drawing? VERY good taste -- own a Luscombe and a RV, and you essentially have the complete set!

[ed. '46 J3C. dr]

Lan -

Is that a Luscombe that I see in the drawing?

Looks to be tandem, therefore likely not a Luscombe (only tandem Luscombes ever made were a small number of T8F models trying to win the liason aircraft business from the US Air Force after WW-II). The drawing looks like a good old Cub with the left wing fuel tank mod.

Last edited:
Rv Cave

Definitely, it's time for me to join to the USA Green Card Lottery !

After being a pilot and building my RV next step is having a place in an hangar like yours.

I had some flight time in Hicks on 1997, I have to come in TX again.

Great Doug, now you've your HARD side !

Coupla thoughts:)

First, I don't see the kegerator or the BBQ. Could be there but, can't see'm.

Second, if you set it up boy/girl, boy/girl, boy/girl (low wing/high wing) you could probably get 6-8 planes in there. This would minimize aircraft movement.

Finally, "What happens at the Vancave, stays in the Vancave."

Doug, do away with the urinal on the wall. You already have a toilet. Substitute a bidet for the urinal. :eek:

doug, wondering if you could share the cost / income/ expense numbers that the accountant came up with.
planning my van cave trip. what time of year is best? when will the shower be done?

Really cool stuff here, please post photos of any hangar aparments or man/Van caves that members or maybe people that they know might have. Would love one one day.

Paul

'48 Willy's

Doug is that a Willy's pickup behind your six? [ed. Yes, but it's not mine. It's a friend of the former hangar owner - I was asked if I could store it there for three weeks as a favor. Cool Jeep! I needed to move it up against that wall and it took longer than expected with all the levers. Where's reverse? Oh, THERE's the parking brake! Ah, this must be the choke. Nothing labeled....and fun! dr]

Or, put a folding attic ladder at the foot of the person sleeping in the bed (where the gray square is now with the small fan sitting on it). So, when one wants to sleep, they lower the attic ladder. When not in use, its out of the way.

As an Submariner...I say do away with the rack, Prisoners have better sleeping arrangements.:D

Get a nice recliner for the power naps.

As an Submariner...I say do away with the rack, Prisoners have better sleeping arrangements.:D

Get a nice recliner for the power naps.

And HEAT rises.
It will be Very HOT up in the rack in the Texas summer heat.

As I under stand it, Submariner is known as a "Bubble Head". All the ones I have meet are very smart and practical people.

Back