What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recycling Scrap Aluminum

swaltner

So, over the course of working on the RV-8A project, I've collected a pile of scrap aluminum parts. Most of the pieces that were large enough have been cut down to make shims and other parts that were needed. What to do with the box of aluminum that is left over??? Some of the parts have primer on them, but most of them are bare aluminum parts.

Are the aluminum alloys we use on the RV projects similar enough to aluminum cans that these can be tossed in the regular aluminum curbside recycling bins? Do they need to go somewhere else to be recycled? Do they just go in the trash?

While I've got plenty of space to KEEP storing this junk, I'm trying to cleanup the hangar a little.

Steve

Hangar Scrap

At my hangar I have an old Lycoming engine box on rollers which is stored up underneath a work bench. All useable scrap goes into it. Over the years, it has proven valuable not only to me but to many others.

If it won't pass an edge-distance test if drilled in the center, *then* it's a candidate for the recycler.

Charlie

Recyclers.

I have a furnace that will melt as big as a 1,000 cc Yamaha crotch-rocket engine and I cast the liquid aluminum into 20 lb. ingots for resale at a recycler.

...cont'd

..dunno what happened but anyway, a friend of mine has a junk yard and an aluminum shredder and said for me not to waste propane because he'll pay me as much for dirty aluminum (Briggs engines have valve guides, alignment pins, etc) as I usually get for my "clean" (steel-free) aluminum. It instantly separates the steel and aluminum. Try and find one of these for a better return.

Best,

Don't put it in the beer can pile

Of course you should recycle your aluminum. Go to a recycler of any size and let them know that this is 2024 aluminum, not beer cans and screen doors. You should get a much better price. I did.

Back