What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BRS Chute Installation for RV10

BRS RV10 Update

Received the chute and rocket today so now have the complete kit. Here are the published numbers on the documents:

System Weight: 51 pounds
Repack/rebuild time for chute and rocket: 10 years
Aircraft Gross weight: 2,866 LB
Deployment Speeds: 163.3 kt TAS
Model: RV10SI-09

I'll post pictures of the kit in the next few days.

Bruce

A sample size of one data point is included here for your consideration.

While the Glasair Sportsman and RV10 are obviously different aircraft, one Sportsman owner had the WARP retrofitted to his aircraft. He reports no change in speeds, and just a touch over 50lbs reduction in useful load. In that particular aircraft the larger impact is the aftward shift in empty C of G, thus potentially having a greater limiting factor on cargo carrying capacity as the aircraft may run out of C of G range before it runs out of useful load.

A sample size of one data point is included here for your consideration.

While the Glasair Sportsman and RV10 are obviously different aircraft, one Sportsman owner had the WARP retrofitted to his aircraft. He reports no change in speeds, and just a touch over 50lbs reduction in useful load. In that particular aircraft the larger impact is the aftward shift in empty C of G, thus potentially having a greater limiting factor on cargo carrying capacity as the aircraft may run out of C of G range before it runs out of useful load.

I'm thinking this could be countered mostly by going to Lithium batteries and locating it on the firewall. Other builders have commented in that past that such a move required 20~30lbs of ballast in the baggage area when flying solo, so this may not be as dramatic of a change on CG on the RV-10 with appropriate reshuffling of components.

batteries

You may want to research how much room there is on the -10 firewall for batteries...it is pretty tight, especially if you have the stock oil filter and a standby alternator...

Pricing and Release Date

Just received an email from BRS:

They are publicly launching the parachute system on Feb 15, 2019. Early bird launch price (for the first 50 units) of $25,990. First come, first served. You can place orders now.

Weight: 82lbs
Dimensions: 20.6" x 19.8" x 18.3"

I sent an email to BRS to ask for more pictures and some more details on their installation, especially what kind of CG impact they found mounting it behind the bulkhead to see if that's something that I could do. Looking at the email they sent out now, it looks like it takes up slightly more than half of the baggage compartment, and weighs 82lbs, which basically renders the baggage compartment useless.

I want a parachute, but this is a bit too much of a tradeoff.

They replied surprisingly fast.

Here's a photo they sent of the installation. They claim it's 1/3 of the cubic footage, 1/2 of the floor space.
pgnKspP.jpg

Went back with more questions about CG impact, weight etc.

I promised an update and never delivered.

BRS did get back to me very quick on my request.

BRS is using 83.53 lbs and 169.38" to calculate W&B for retrofit aircraft. Obviously, on new builds, you would just weigh the aircraft. BRS said via email that the structure has additional support and/or bypasses baggage area structure, so you are only limited by CG on how much weight in the baggage area.

I'll let y'all make up your own mind on whether this works for you or not.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why the system is so expensive? Seems to be about 10k more than the 172/182 kits. I don?t know if I can justify it for that price.

2,000 RV kits sold

Hello, There have been 2,000 RV-10 kits sold and I have read that Vans says the RV-10 continues to be one of the best sellers in recent years.

Numbers

According to Van?s, there are currently 919 flying -10s. Still pales incomparison to the number of 172/182 aircraft out there...

Up to date statistics

Hi guys
Anyone has some statistics on how many actually installed?
Do you believe they might reconsider the price?

Oren

Any update from those who have already purchased?

Any updates from those that have purchased the kit? Pictures of the installation and the general kit would be appreciated! Also what are your thoughts on W/B? having a chute back there beats the heck out of water ballast when flying solo!

The additional installation and metal work on the fuselage is not very eye pleasing in these pictures

https://brsaerospace.com/rv-10/

Has any one explore the option of running the BRS straps through the top surface of the canopy so that it can be well hidden under a light layer of fiberglass without affecting the aircraft contour/structure?

Unless it is tested in flight, there is simply know if this thing will work.

If it doesn't work and becomes a "streamer", you would have been better off gliding to a landing, even a crash landing.

I appreciate all of your concern but you might be better off putting that money into maintenance and additional training, if safety is your top priority.

Could it be that there have only been about 800 RV-10 kits sold versus the THOUSANDS of Cessnas?
That would only matter if they were making BRS kits for every Cessna. I doubt the sales rate for retrofitting 172's is as high as the installation rate in new-build RV-10's.

Install rate

I would be curious as to the install rate in new RV-10s.

I am not interested in installing one in mine as giving up half the baggage area and 80+ pounds of payload is not appealing...

I am also curious as to the data on structural or flight control failure pertaining to the RV-10, as those would be valid reasons to have the chute...

Has anyone used a chute other than BRS? There are at least two other options:

Magnum Ballistic Parachutes This is who TAF uses in their Sling line of airplanes.

Galaxy Recovery Systems This is who Pipistrel uses in their airplanes.

I found one guy who posted here that he was putting a Magnum chute in his RV-10. I have PM'd and emailed him, but no reply. (Appears he hasn't been active on VAF in years.)

These other options appear to be lighter and less-expensive than BRS's offering (both in terms of purchase and repack), and are trusted by numerous manufacturers.

Would love to hear from anyone who have used any non-BRS chute on a Vans plane, especially an RV-10.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I am currently looking in to other than BRS options to put on my RV10. I am sure that BRS is a great product BUT how to justify such a high price for RV10 ?

Anyway I am looking in to one Russian made system (MVEN) which has been successfully installed in to RV10 by person I know and also in to Galaxy GRS systems which looks very attractive and interesting to me. Important to note that these two above utilize different principle of ejecting the chute and for the first one some additional structural work is required.

After research it turns out that except Russian MVEN there are no other than BRS flying installs of chutes on RV10 available.
As someone said here until it is tested you never know if it will work on particular RV10 design so there are no enough information at this point to conclude.

Cirrus vs RV-10

I know this is an old thread but I am currently looking in to other than BRS options to put on my RV10. I am sure that BRS is a great product BUT how to justify such a high price for RV10 ?

Anyway I am looking in to one Russian made system (MVEN) which has been successfully installed in to RV10 by person I know and also in to Galaxy GRS systems which looks very attractive and interesting to me. Important to note that these two above utilize different principle of ejecting the chute and for the first one some additional structural work is required.

After research it turns out that except Russian MVEN there are no other than BRS flying installs of chutes on RV10 available.
As someone said here until it is tested you never know if it will work on particular RV10 design so there are no enough information at this point to conclude.

Cirrus...over 100 emergency pulls. RV-10 - 0...and no structural failures.

Rest my case,

Back