What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixture Cable Question

Ottoman

I'm building a 7A with an IO360M1B with the FM150 air intake. I have the new elastomer engine/nose gear mount. The mixture cable from VANs is not long enough going through the firewall per plans drawing.

Has anyone run into this and did you fix the problem by buying a longer cable or did you put a new firewall passthrough on the lower righthand side of the fire wall?

John

I had a similar issue. I ended up buying a RV-10 mixture cable from Van's that was slightly longer than the one for the RV-7.

Timing

Wow, timing is everything.
I drilled the holes in the firewall for the mixture cable as per the plans, and fed in some big wires to simulate the cable, and it looks like a strange run.
Did you also change the penetration point in the firewall?

Mixture Cable

I did not change the hole, I drilled per instructions. That being said, I did alot of measuring and I will be able to use that hole if I buy a 60" mixture cable. Or I can drill a hole 9 inches from right side and 4 inches up from the floor and then be able to use the mixture cable from Van's. (50.5") But I not sure if it will clear the travel rudder peddle.

Are you sure about this? I too have the new engine mount kit and my mixture cable fit the standard hole/configuration as intended. Do you have any pics you could post? Are the controls inset slightly (in the plans) from the panel and not flush with it? I am trying to recall my memory as best I can but I'm pretty sure I did not use a different cable length.

Cables

Are you sure about this? I too have the new engine mount kit and my mixture cable fit the standard hole/configuration as intended. Do you have any pics you could post? Are the controls inset slightly (in the plans) from the panel and not flush with it? I am trying to recall my memory as best I can but I'm pretty sure I did not use a different cable length.

Mine is a IO360M1B, Elastomer nose gear, standard cables. They all fit. There is one different location noted in plans but I think it was throttle going through the recess area. Otherwise, they all work. I did make sure to tell them to verify all components with the new gear.

I'm Sure

Jeremy, Larry, do you guys have the FM-150 intake with the airflow Throttle/Mixture mounting plate? I'm told by Gary at Van's that their mounting bracket, 7A/9A DYNA 1MNT KIT RETRO, will not work for me. I sent Gary pictures but I'm not sure how to post them here?

Jeremy, Larry, do you guys have the FM-150 intake with the airflow Throttle/Mixture mounting plate? I'm told by Gary at Van's that their mounting bracket, 7A/9A DYNA 1MNT KIT RETRO, will not work for me. I sent Gary pictures but I'm not sure how to post them here?

I do not have the FM-150. I'm assuming then that the mixture arm is not in the typical location and your mixture cable is not routed just above the left side of the sump? If that is the case your best bet would be to measure and order a custom length. Drilling a new hole as you suggest may work as well but I'm betting you would be in somewhat uncharted territory there. If there is a bit of excess in the cable it wouldn't be too big of a deal though. Does the FM-150 have the mixture cable coming in on the bottom of the engine? I'm curious, I think I found a picture of one but not sure.

I had this problem and ended up buying longer cables from McFarlane - nice but expensive though it did solve the problem

Still Thinking

Mixture Cable 1.jpg

Mixture cable 2.jpg

Mixture Cable 3.jpg

First try at loading pictures, hope it worked!?

The Throttle and Mixture control arms are on the right-side of the FM-150. I think I will order a longer Mixture cable.

Just me

On my fuel injection servo, my throttle is on the right side, but mixture is on the left. My mixture comes out the same place as yours. I haven't tried my yet, so am not sure if my cable is short. I hope to get to this next week;I will let the team know.
The heavy wire is my planned mixture routing.

Edit: Never mind, looks like I have a different fuel servo. Sorry.

Attachments

• 58BC5FA3-70DF-4CDA-A1DC-1C623AABB55D.jpg
    58BC5FA3-70DF-4CDA-A1DC-1C623AABB55D.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Moving Foreword

I ordered a 60" cable, should be here tomorrow, it will be a close fit! I would have been more comfortable with 62" but the next size was 72".

If this doesn't work, I am going to go through the recess area next to the Throttle cable with the Van's supplied 50.5" mixture cable. I just don't want to put another hole in the firewall if I don't have to!

Gary at Van's said I'm in uncharted territory!

I will get back with the end result!

John A
RV-7A
Burnsville, MN.

John,

You are ahead of me, but I put my mixture and throttle holes through the recess area. I haven't mounted the engine though. I too have the FM150 and I've been trying to find pics of other installations. I did order the cable attachment bracket from Showplanes. Here is a pic of that installation from their site. https://showplanes.com/ecom-prodshow/TMC-04S.html It looked very clean to me so I bought their bracket.

Thanks Ray,

I did run the Throttle cable through the recess area and that worked great! Where did you here about running the Mixture cable through that area?

Here is the plate/bracket that I have.

John

Attachments

• Throttle Mixture Bracket.jpg
    Throttle Mixture Bracket.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 243
My Throttle body came and the mixture was on the left side and the throttle was on the right side of the body. I removed the mixture arm to the same side as the Throttle That was so both would be on the right side of the engine.
No further problems getting the controls matched up.
Cheers
:)

Are the controls inset slightly (in the plans) from the panel and not flush with it?
This is an important question that I have not seen that you have replied, nor have you shown any pictures of the panel position. If you are mounting the panel bracket flush to the front edge of the panel the cables will come up short. Have you mounted the throttle bracket forward of the panel or flush with the panel? Can you provide pics of your panel?

mixture control

Looking at the photo's it looks like a RV-14A, which is what I'm building (mine is the EXP 119 version). I'm working on engine cooling, in prep for the cowling install. My engine controls are centered in the cockpit, easy to reach from either seat. If you want photo's I can provide some. I'm not skilled at computers so the photo's could take a bit and not at all sure how to post them here.
Cheers
N12YY
John B
Cody WY

I'm not skilled at computers so the photo's could take a bit and not at all sure how to post them here.
Photos are easier than ever to post on this forum. When you click on “post” the window opens for you to type your text. At the top of the “message” window are a bunch of icons. Click on the “paper clip” icon. It will open a new window that will allow you to upload a picture file from your computer. Add it to your message and it will show up in your post.

John, My decision for putting the control cable through the recess wasn't related to the new motor mount or the FM150. I decided to do that after taking a look at Bruceh's website.

Flush with Panel

My controls are flush with the panel.

John B what is the length of your 14A mixture cable?

Panel
Lets try this again

Good looking panel you got there. You must be making a little bump-out for the red cube down there?

Somewhat related, did you install an oil cooler shutter anywhere to block off air to the oil cooler? I see you live in Minnesota and will probably want one in the winter. I have a controllable shutter in front of mine and it works wonders at keeping the oil temp up. If it wasn't there I know for sure that it wouldn't reach Lycoming minimum temps and certainly not the industry standard of 180. Just a thought that might help you out. Easy to install a cable now rather than later if you go that way.

Thanks Jereme, Yes I built a tunnel to fit over the red cube.
Thanks for the idea of the shutter.... hadn't thought about that.
Mounting the oil cooler will be coming up soon.

Thanks Jereme, Yes I built a tunnel to fit over the red cube.
Thanks for the idea of the shutter.... hadn't thought about that.
Mounting the oil cooler will be coming up soon.

No problem. I got one through Anti-Splat Aero. Works really really well, just make sure whatever you use it's in front of the cooler and not behind it. Good luck with the rest of your build!

Throttle/Mixture cables done

If you are installing an IO360m1b with the FM 150 horizontal intake and the mounting bracket from Airflow, with the new Elastomer front end, here is what I found and did.

1. The throttle cable going through the access area worked great.

2. Van's mixture cable, 50.5", was to short going through the called out firewall hole. I ordered a 60" cable, 62" would work better, from Aircraft Spruce which did work with the bracket mounting hole in the furthest/aft position. I had to route the cable through the front end a couple different directions to find, what I thought to be, the best route. With that being said, I thought it was too tight and removed it. The bend coming through the firewall was tight, if that hole was moved 1-2" to the right, no problem.

3. I drilled a hole through access area, 3-5/8" from the left-3/4" high and used the same mounting bolt used for the throttle cable, this worked great with Van's mixture cable (50.5").

Moving on
John A

Hope pics loaded this time, Rookie!

Attachments

• Mixture 1.jpg
    Mixture 1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Mixture 2.jpg
    Mixture 2.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Mixture 3.jpg
    Mixture 3.jpg