What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tank

JohnF

Well Known Member
Here is a note to a fuel tank fabricator and his response. I can't help him, perhaps someone else might be able to do so.

I believe there is a market for a "drop in" replacement for Vans RV-12 aircraft. It now uses a 20-gallon unit which many of us think is a bit too small. A 25-gal unit would give another hour flying time and I see lots of reference on Vansairforce.net web site for a forum on RV-12 planes where pilots are looking for more range. You may have an opportunity here

John,

I am interested but I will not be able to do anything about it until a sketch or drawing is sent to me.

Thank You,

Dave Boyd /
Chief Executive Officer
Boyd Welding LLC
ph: 352-447-2405
fax: 352-447-2403

Joes fuel tank--welded

Has anyone been in contact with Boyd about fabricating a welded tank
similar to the one that Joe designed? Possibly 25 gal? You got a patent on that design, Joe?

I had planned to get in touch with them after I got mine built and certificated. Want the same size tank, just more sturdy and without the sight glass.

Design flaw

In the event of a very hard landing or crash, the landing gear will push the bottom of the RV-12 upward. There is no room for my tank to move upward because it is under aircraft structure. My tank will be squashed between an irresistible force and an immovable object. This is a scenario that I never considered while making the tank. Now I am thinking about removing my tank and putting Van's tank back in.
Joe Gores

So if the floor pushes up what happens to the present Van's design? Not too difficult to visualize.
Dick seiders

Van's fuel tank bolts directly to the center section bulkhead at the two lower front corners of the tank. The main landing gear legs bolt to the bottom of the same center section bulkhead. In my humble opinion, the main gear legs would fail before the center section bulkhead would be pushed up. If the center section bulkhead were pushed up, the front of the tank would move up with the bulkhead and pivot about the rear tank mounting bolt that is attached to the baggage bulkhead. I don't see a scenario where the baggage floor could be pushed up into the tank, except in the event of a crash.

I don't see a scenario where the baggage floor could be pushed up into the tank, except in the event of a crash.
And that is what I am worried about. Not that I ever intend to crash, but the engine could fail over hostile terrain. When the landing gear hits an obstacle, sheet metal will bend before heavy aluminum parts will break.
Joe Gores

Back