What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Professional Paint Job Cost?

JohnF

Well Known Member
I am trying to get a rough approximation of what a reasonable paint job would cost on my RV-12. I am thinking of a fairly simple two color scheme with nothing fancy. Mostly white with a red upper color on the fuselage, similiar to Dmasys' scheme.

I don't want to ask any personal questions, and would just appreciate a PM with a ballpark number and recommendations on a shop within reasonable distance of central Colorado.

Thanks for your input.

We're doing it in Oregon with 3 colors and a fairly simple paint job, and it is going to cost us about $7500. We're getting a pretty decent discount, but that seems reasonable for a 2 color paint job. We're going into the booth this weekend :)

Gold Metal Paint @ KFTG???

John,

You might try these guys located at KFTG. Norm and company have painted quite a few RV's and are currently working on my friends RV-10. I don't think they have done a 12 yet. I had them repaint my wings and gear fairings last summer for $1000.00. They did a great job.

dot.gif

bullet_plane.gif
Gold Metal Paint Company, LLC
Paint Facility
303-907-5385
[email protected]

Cost of paint job

You might 'test the waters' at autobody paint shops. George and I found one close to McCollum field in Georgia, and one of the guys there was experienced in painting planes; our RV12 fit inside the paint booth and we had a single-stage two-color paint scheme, lettering, and decal laid down for well under 5k. It ain't no show paint job, but you've got to get pretty close to see any flaws.
George and Meade
N612RV
:)

Down here in Texas a paint job with one base color and two trim colors runs about $8K. That's about middle of the road price wise and your plane would be painted in Texas (wich is better :D )

I am trying to get a rough approximation of what a reasonable paint job would cost on my RV-12. I am thinking of a fairly simple two color scheme with nothing fancy. Mostly white with a red upper color on the fuselage, similiar to Dmasys' scheme.

I don't want to ask any personal questions, and would just appreciate a PM with a ballpark number and recommendations on a shop within reasonable distance of central Colorado.

Thanks for your input.

I am planning to go with auto body shop for ours. It is nearby and can handle the pieces. Standard white with some minor trim colors. No cost estimate yet

I received quotes from shops in California and Arizona that ranged from $5000 to $9200. I like the guys (and their work) at a shop close by and the prep, paint, fiberglass work and taxes should come in under $7000. It'll be white with two color stripes. One thing I liked about the shop was they gave me a reasonable quote for the paint job and then told me the fiberglass prep would be a T&M upcharge, ~4 hours extra work. We could have saved a couple $ doing the fiberglass prep ourselves.

Also, one of our fellow RV12 forum guys used a shop in Aurora Nebraska, there is a link to the shop in his website: http://geicodevelopment.com/rv_12
No idea on price, but I saw this AC at Oshkosh, very nice paint.

When I was looking for shop, I posted on the Vansairforce regional section and got a lot of excellent, specific recommendations from the other RV model builder/owners.

Good Luck

Back