What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flame suit on.... just bought an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevy in a Velocity

I just got my magazine from the EAA highlighting the Velocities with Chevy engines. What a wonderful process on how a automobile engine can be applied to an airplane. These guys were engineers and very experienced and the problems were huge.They bought an off the shelf gearbox that they imploded after 8 hours so they machined their own. Fasinating article.

S S Anderson
Lycoming replacement after Subbie.
Lafayette, La.

Adding useful information

Well, there are people out there that really do put the E in EAA. I applaud those who do experiment. I know of several in the area, I'm not sure if they would call their record stellar though. There is a local RV-4 that had 9 or so sub's in it before he switched to a LYC. There is a pretty red and white -6 that had the engine break and stop while he was flying, he landed safe in a field. There is a Sub that nobody can make run right in Sandersville, there is also one in Griffin that is not installed on an airframe. I wish you the very best in luck for experimentation. It does appear that there are several airplanes that have gotten alt engines to work ok. Please do not fly over my house though. I must admit I cringe when I hear an airplane go overhead and the engine is turning 5800 RPM.....

Best
Brian Wallis

To add some useful information Bill, the Powersport engine mount is not a bed type, but rather a three-point triangulated mount using custom pads for standard Lord or Barry mounts. This is a much better system than the "plate with ears" type bed mount. It is lighter, more direct and transfers the loads to the firewall properly. The Powersport PSRU is a spur gear internal pinion and ring gear unit which works wery well. It was designed from the outset to drive a propeller. The Mistral PSRU is a custom designed planetary unit. It was designed to run a Hyd constant speed prop and is very well made. The mis-information spouted in this forum is why I rarely ever post here anymore. The Mistral engine which is nearing FAA certification is NOT a replacement for an O-360. Mistral decided to first certify its 3 rotor 300 HP engine, which will be more competitive price wise against the Lycoming 6 cylinder competition. I still consider the Mistral engine to be overpriced to be easily accepted. Mistral also seemed to miss the boat when they decided not to sell parts to homebuilders. (only complete engines) They seem to have had at least a minor change of heart lately as they have mentioned that they will market non-certified engines to homebuilders at a lower price.
Tracy Crook provides many needed parts for builders for an exceptional price. Tracy also "speaks airplane" which can be even more important. Tracy doesn't provide engine mounts though, so you will still need to do it yourself. If you aren't an engineer GET SOME HELP. Experience is vital. Ed Klepis at Tech Welding is a great resource.
Lastly for all the "I can't stand an engine at 5800 RPM crowd" Mazda instrumented and strain gauged a 13B rotary and found that at 6000 RPM the balance and effects of combustion balanced out and produced 0 (zero) net load on the excentric shaft. Bill, sorry to say, but if using Tracy for your PSRU get his 2.83:1 ratio RD-1C which works best for the rotary, and has the benefit of turning the "right" direction at the propeller. You can then buy standard rotation props which are cheaper. It might even cover the cost of changing to the RD1-C. Best of luck with your project.
Bill Jepson

Last edited by a moderator:
edit

Yes, I did edit the previous post, we can discuss it in private or in person if you wish. Please, no more sarcasm or comments that are pointedly not constructive/ and or insulting. As per my last post, I do wish the gentleman luck and I do applaud those that experiment.
Best
Brian Wallis

Brian;
Your literary license to insult while being a moderator does not leave a good impression.

It was nice to see Bill Jepson weigh in. There are a growing number of sucessful rotary (and other auto) conversions in experimental aviation. Progress was slow to start, but freely shared experience has increased the sucess rate. My engine had insufficient cooling during the initial ground runs, but the flyrotary website/forum helped direct me to pictures of effective cooling systems and information to help build my own. I'm confident that I'm going to have a winner, because I'm following in the footsteps of winners, and listening to their advice.
I mostly participate in the RV-8 forum here, for airframe issues, and look to the flyrotary site for propulsion engineering.

Last edited:
I believe the remarks WERE exactly on point.

Yes, I did edit the previous post, we can discuss it in private or in person if you wish. Please, no more sarcasm or comments that are pointedly not constructive/ and or insulting. As per my last post, I do wish the gentleman luck and I do applaud those that experiment.
Best
Brian Wallis

Brian,
Sorry to pick on you in my post, but I did have a reasonable gripe related to the quoted post. Bill the original poster (and considering this forum something of a troll) mentioned that he had just bought a 13B rotary and was looking for resources. Every item you mentioned in the post that I previously quoted refered to Subaru powered aircraft. Your reference to someone that had put 9 Subaru engines in his plane smacks of the definition of insanity, repeating the same behaviour and expecting different results. Perhaps your remarks were intended to be slightly tongue-in-cheek, which is OK, but you were talking apples and oranges. Even your post Brian while probably well-intended followed the typical Subaru thread hijack. There are obviously a lot of posters here that have been involved in unfortunate Subaru based conversions, but there are obviously some successes as well. If I didn't believe in experimentation I would just put a Lyc on. If you pulled any of my previous posts you would see that I ALWAYS ADVISE those attempting a conversion that if they are unable to do the engineering of systems themselves that they should not persue an auto conversion. To be fair though I probably would advise against them putting a different aircraft engine on as well!
In my own circumstances I'm a mechanical engineer, and I could probably make or specify all the parts needed for a reduction drive, but Tracy, Mistral, Marcotte, Geared Drives, or Powersport has already spent the time and money so there is no need to re-invent the wheel. I have my own preferences and will make suggestions if asked, but it rarely goes that far on this forum as the attack dogs move in long before anything substantive can take place. We need to steer people to correct reference material so they can make their conversion a success, not just naysay. OK of somebody tells me they want to put a 20 HP Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor engine in their RV-8 I'll tell them that it just won't work, but that guy has bigger problems. When someone comes on the forum as asks a reasonable question about a conversion we should treat them as rational people unless they show otherwise. There are many auto conversions flying safely, so inform them of promise and pitfalls and let them judge if they wish to continue with the "Experiment." Anyone wanting direct contact with me for advice or otherwise is encouraged to PM me. I do check them about once a week. Fly and design safely guys.
Bill Jepson

but it rarely goes that far on this forum as the attack dogs move in long before anything substantive can take place.

I would love to see a pro-alternative engine person be the SOLE moderator of the Alternative engine section of this forum. Perhaps then that person could filter out the "attack dogs" and we might be able to have meaningful conversations here. Unfortunately I think most of the people with real knowledge have moved elsewhere, and getting them back here would be extremely difficult, if not impossible. Note, I said most, not all. Obviously there are some still trying, like Bill, but far too many have left.

It is really sad, actually.

The only alternative (pun intended) I can think of is to act equally childish, and go over to the traditional engine section and keep repeatedly posting the same old barbs. Childish, yes, but on par with what happens here. Doesn't serve any useful purpose and just gets people riled up, preventing any meaningful conversation.

About 4 weeks ago at my local airport we had a traditional engine cylinder decide to change careers and departed the aircraft on climbout. I just love how "supposedly" reliable those traditional engines are.

-Dj

Last edited:
I would love to see a pro-alternative engine person be the SOLE moderator of the Alternative engine section of this forum.

Only, if we can have a pro-nosewheel........moderator.. :)

I demand that at least 1/2 of the posted and linked pictures contain nosewheels!!

And I wouldn't mind a pro "C/S" prop moderator too! You ought to see what I have to put up with here........from the tailwheel, fixed prop, and little engine effectionatos (spl ?). And tip ups are almost.. just as bad!! :D

I just love how reliable those traditional engines are.

Me too!

L.Adamson --- RV6A/Lyc O360/ Hartzell C/S

Looks like I have to rethink my rotary engine thinking. It turns out that Austro in Austria have been making rotaries for years, more than 700 installed in motorgliders and "camcopters" (UAV).

Don't they make some of the diesel engine's Diamond is using now too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back