What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long term storage stand

DarinFred

I’ve searched and didn’t really find the answer. So I’ll ask.

My engine is coming soon and I anticipate I’ll need to pickle and store it for upward of 18 months. Is it okay to store it on one of the vertical overhaul stands like this for an extended amount of time?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• C3343C3A-ED56-4A75-A4A2-3638831DE085.jpeg
    C3343C3A-ED56-4A75-A4A2-3638831DE085.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 95
Probably the best way to store a Lycoming engine is upside down, after a fresh oil change, so that the cam and lifters are covered with oil.

"I think I would go with the preservative oil, spray the cylinders, use desiccant plugs, and store it upside down. Then do not crank it, but check all cylinders for oil before starting it when the plane is done."

Pickle it, dry it

Once it's properly pickled, probably won't make much difference what angle it's at. Put it in a very dry place and seal up all the holes. Put some of those desiccant spark plugs in there, and watch if the color changes. Mine didn't, until I put it on the aircraft and installed the exhaust pipes. I looked in the cylinders with a "borescope" (simple ebay camera on a flexible stick) before first start and it was like new in there.

You don't say if this is a new engine from the manufacturer (or an overhaul) or a used engine.

If it's from the manufacturer, then I'd say just leave it alone, as it will already have the preservative oil in it, etc.

Overhauled

It’s an overhauled engine from one of the big shops. I think I’ll figure out a way to store it upside down after pickling it.

It’s an overhauled engine from one of the big shops. I think I’ll figure out a way to store it upside down after pickling it.

And you're sure they didn't already put preservative oil in it? Be a shame to undo that if they did, just to repeat the process...

Preservation

Put it in a big plastic bag and suck all the air out of the bag with a shop vac. Then seal it off so it does not leak. That is how we did it at the air lines and no problems even when left outside. No air getting in the bag means no moisture either.....

Here's what we did. Bought a car engine stand from Harbor Freight, cut a 3/4 inch plywood sheet, reinforced it with 2 by 6 studs. Needs to be big enough to securely bolt your engine mount to the plywood sheet and in turn bolt this whole assembly to the car engine stand. We mounted the engine just like you were putting it on the airplane. With this setup, you can put oil in the sump and rotate the engine upside down for a minute to redistribute the oil. We rotated the engine about once a month prior to moving the engine and engine mount to the airplane.

bag source?

Any info in where one would source an appropriate bag?

Put it in a big plastic bag and suck all the air out of the bag with a shop vac. Then seal it off so it does not leak. That is how we did it at the air lines and no problems even when left outside. No air getting in the bag means no moisture either.....

Humidity, uncoated steel

Humidity is the concern & uncoated steel on the lifters &cam. Bed&Bath has clothing bags that vacuum seal, the art supply sells dissident. I live 3 miles from the Atlantic, so I keep my shop at >35% humidity with a dehumidifier in line with my HVAC return ducts. I like the cheap harbor freight engine mount, you get to be creative with the mounting but can rotisserie the engine every now and then to keep it coated with oil.
R.Hill

Back