What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who Flew Their RV Today

Geico266

Well Known Member
Rise and shine boys & girls! It's Saturday morning! Time to head out to the hangar and drag out the RV and go for a fly.

What did you fly?
Who did you take with you?
Where did you go?

Extra points for pictures! :D

It's a beautiful RV morning! Go fly!!

About to head out to the airport in a couple minutes. Yesterday was payday, so I can afford some avgas :p

My RV will be flying today but I wont be in it, The new owner is doing his transition training today, and taking it to it's new home tomorrow. :(

Hmm. Not so nice here :(
maybe next weekend

TAF CYOW 131138Z 1312/1412 20005KT 5SM BR BKN006 OVC020 TEMPO 1312/1314 P6SM NSW SCT006 OVC025 FM131400 22012KT P6SM -SHRA OVC012 TEMPO 1314/1318 P6SM NSW FEW012 OVC025 FM131800 21012G22KT P6SM -SHRA OVC025 TEMPO 1318/1324 OVC020 BECMG 1322/1324 23008KT FM140600 22005KT 3SM BR OVC015 RMK NXT FCST BY 131500Z=

Hey Give me a break - I flew five hours home from SnF yesterday! ;)

Yeah, I'll probably fly something today too....

Yesterday, we came back from SnF night airshow at mid-night. Got up early to fly with four other planes: Great Lake (lead), turbine Maule, Grumann Lynx, Dova Skylark (blocked by my cap).

On the way to Wiliston
snapshot_002.jpg

Return, over Lake George, Ocala National Forest, 3,000'
snapshot_001.jpg

Last edited:
Took the RV-10 to Cedar Key from KCLW

They were having a festival in the streets and a good crowd!

Flew about an hour. Beautiful morning but chilly and bumpy. Throttled back and practiced Certified airplane flying (110 kts).

Nice shots Glen but I'm not in the air. Where does Ruskie get his fuel appropriation?

Apparently there were a lot of RVs flying to day. There was the unexpected 6 at Cambridge, MD and then when I got home to KXSA, I had to wait in line while a lovely 9A from Albany, NY was fueling.

Some Crazy Russian happened to stop by and told me to fly instead. For some reason though I am going to have to buy some more Bourbon tomorrow.

Flew in Taylor 150 (TX) air race then home ~ 3hrs

Home is Drake Field Fayetteville, Arkansas. (RV-6A)

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
That's sad...

:(
My RV will be flying today but I wont be in it, The new owner is doing his transition training today, and taking it to it's new home tomorrow. :(

That's sad... and it's a feeling I know. Sold my plane 5 years ago and it still hurts.
I'm sorry, man!

Sorry, no photos, but we flew about 35 minutes to Eau Claire for lunch. A 6A, 7, and a Bonanza (his 9 is in the 40 hours phase one still, so we let the Bonanza come along...). Weather not great, but it worked well at about 1500 agl. Flew around and through some light snow showers. It is snowing more today... We had been joking about needed ice augers for fishing opener (May 11), but doesn't seem like such a joke anymore!

Sorry, no photos, but we flew about 35 minutes to Eau Claire for lunch. A 6A, 7, and a Bonanza (his 9 is in the 40 hours phase one still, so we let the Bonanza come along...). Weather not great, but it worked well at about 1500 agl. Flew around and through some light snow showers. It is snowing more today... We had been joking about needed ice augers for fishing opener (May 11), but doesn't seem like such a joke anymore!

Vince Bastianni and I were just south of you guys doing a little formation practice. Bryan Flood was along and snapped this picture of Vince's plane :
547485_10201021177632190_1664105023_n.jpg

No pictures of my airplane; no one wants to see a -6A without gear leg fairings, wheel pants, or paint :eek:

no flying for me for a few weeks, but its going to look real good once that 10 inch dynon in and working!!!!!

:D

Flew to KMQS (Chester County Airport, Coatesville, PA) for lunch. The lady loves the RV and has the grin to prove it!

DSCN2548.JPG

I logged 5 hours yesterday with the plane doing different type of flying.

The first one was a "precision flying" qualification run for the young pilots national country tour. I just received the derogation to do it with the RV8 but I do not have the right to fly at speed above 120KTAS:(. Overall the plane is very noise conformable at this speed and burnt only 4,4GPH.
"Precision flying" consisted in flying 6 legs (turning point are bridges, road cross, small villages,..) within 0,2Nm cross track and +100/-100ft on altitude.
Then there was a 360° to do with +10/-10ft and 0,1Nm XTK between entry and exit of the 360. It was a bit tricky with the 30kts wind but I think it will be OK. finger crossed.

After that, my plane instructor (who owns a RV4) arrived at the airport and we couldn't resist the envy to do some "dogfighting". It was even more justified that my RV8 didn't exceed 14,5"MAP during the preceding 1.6 hr flight and was asking for some high power settings to clean the dust :D.

Last edited:
Back