- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:31 AM

Greg Hughes responded by email on 09/24/2021 and said this:

Iíve done some checking on this. We have the ES 85615-157-1 flap actuator assemblies available here to purchase. We donít sell the motor itself as a stand-alone unit, and as far as I know itís not available from our suppliers as motor-only. I canít force anyone to sell that way and I believe their orders are made specially for complete assemblies. I also checked our spare parts and we do not have one of those motors.

The flap actuator from PH Aviation seems like a good solution although some modification would be required for my already painted and upholstered RV-8A so I'm not going that route. That's my loss as Pat Hatch is a good guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Allied Electronics and other distributors sell the Ametek/Pittman 9234S004-R1 motor (backordered) but how to transfer the worm gear from the old motor to the new eludes me.

IMO the most viable solution is for Van's use their influence with Usher to either make the motor/gear combo available or to stock it themselves as a replacement part.

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
Independence, OR
Old 09-27-2021, 06:34 PM

I'm really pleased to see this solution from PH Aviation. It looks like the extent of modification required for an RV-8 is simply moving the upper attachment bracket. It would also allow me to remove my separate position feedback pot.

My original Vans actuator has been *almost* flawless in doing its job over 700 hrs and 12 years. But nice to know there is a good alternative.

(I said 'almost' because the flaps did fail to extend once, landing at Wells, NV in 100F temps, density altitude of something like 10,000 ft, when I really would have liked to have some flaps, but oh well all turned out fine)
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 09-27-2021, 09:24 PM

I found the ES 85615-157-1 flap motor assembly on "the list" for $460. Now I understand why folks are trying to buy just the motor. Price seems shocking for what it is. Although I serviced mine quite a while ago, I'm going to speak nicely to it and practice more no-flap landings.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:48 PM

Default Your mileage may vary

I had my RV-6A in the avionics shop getting the panel redone and my flap motor decided to quit. I brought them a new one I had in my hangar. Took the old one to my shop, disassembled, cleaned the grease out, reassembled and it works like a charm.
Now there have been comment before here about the service needs of these little motor units.
I have about 550 hours on this motor unit.
From now on I'm gonna be more proactive and remove it for a good cleaning every say 350 hours. Easier to clean it than go a long ways away to fix it.
It is a ROYAL pain to have it quit.
Oh ya It gave me a warning shot, Cause 6 months ago it decided to be intermittent on one flight. Worked fine after that.
My three cents worth Art
Old 09-28-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwaldal@gmail.com View Post
... disassembled, cleaned the grease out, reassembled and it works like a charm. ... I'm gonna be more proactive and remove it for a good cleaning every say 350 hours.
Everyone should know there are two different manufacturers' flap motors: Motion Systems and Ametek/Pittman. AFAIK only the Motion Systems motor had the "grease issue" and around 2010 I believe Usher changed to the Pittman motor.

So the grease cleaning procedure should not be necessary for later motors but YMMV. The Pittman motor should last indefinitely (and with no servicing) but it is possible to burn one out as I have proven. (In my case I only need new brushes and their holder but apparently they're made of Unobtanium.)

I think there's a business opportunity here for Van's: stock a replacement motor for those thousands of flying RVs out there. It would not be inexpensive ($150 - $200) but certainly more cost effective than buying a whole new $460 actuator. Wish I could get the ear of someone at Van's who would make it happen -- I'd be the first customer.

BTW, the above applies to the RV6/7/8/9 and probably not the other models.

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
Independence, OR
Old 10-06-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Greg Hughes responded by email on 09/24/2021 and said this:

The flap actuator from PH Aviation seems like a good solution although some modification would be required for my already painted and upholstered RV-8A so I'm not going that route. That's my loss as Pat Hatch is a good guy and a pleasure to deal with.
Had additional problems with my motion actuator, after getting springs in, chipped the brush by using tweezers. It must have been brittle, wasnít using hardly any pressure, maybe I gripped it wrong.

I ran out of options on trying to repair my old actuator this time, so I got off the phone with Pat, going to order the actuator from him at PH Aviation. He was good to talk to, steered me in another direction. I have an RV-6, but just a heads up to everybody, he recommended ordering the other model he has for the RV 10 and 14. Itís another $50, but biggest reason to go with that model, is because heís going to phase the other one out. Hopefully, heíll support this model for some time, but no guarantee with small manufacturers, esp dealing with aviation.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:56 PM

Default Fixed the motor

Since a new motor was not available from Van's without buying the whole actuator, the only reasonable alternative IMO called for repairing the existing motor. I bought a brand new motor with a similar (but different) part number for $20 on eBay and used its brushes and brush holder in my original motor.

Incidentally, these brushes are used on many different motors and are available on the web (Eurton Electric part no. BMP80664). But AFAIK the plastic brush holder used in the Pittman 9234 motor is not.

While I was at it, I burnished the flap motor's commutator ring and between that and the new brushes, my motor should be good to TBO.

Ops checked with about 10 traffic patterns and some miscellaneous flap movements yesterday: flawless.

Joe Dubner
RV-8A
Independence, OR