Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneves View Post
Thank you very much! Just to confirm Jim is a DPE or a CFI that may help with locating a DPE?
Johnny,

Jim Casper can set you up with a DPE. I recommend Vince Navarro, out of Tracy, but not sure if he does experimental. And, Andrew is correct about the inspection aspect. When I did my instrument check ride last year, it took almost an hour just to review the plane and itís paperwork!

Also, as mentioned above, you may want to rent an 172, to get it done. Hodges Flight service, in Concord, has some good 172ís with GTN 750. No club fees or rental shenanigans.

Itís ironic, but my glass RV7A is way easier to fly instruments than any rental Iíve had.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 09-29-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Poindexter - View Post
Johnny,
Itís ironic, but my glass RV7A is way easier to fly instruments than any rental Iíve had.
No kidding. Even a G5 makes a big difference, not to mention full synthetic vision. That said, I feel that IFR training in a steam gauge airplane was really valuable.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:18 PM

Thank you all very much, we have reached out to a few of the DPE's suggested and are just awaiting confirmations.

I agree with with Paul on the ease of flying IFR in our platforms with more advanced avionics. I started training in a steam gauge 172 and although I do see the value it's not as great as many believe. Spending hours training with a plane with an avionics package that isn't even close to the one you will be flying in regularly just sounds like a bit of a waste. Should everyone get some time in steam gauges, yes. Should that be your primary training when you have advanced avionics awaiting you for actual flights, I don't believe so IMHO. The scans are VERY different, conditioning with steam gauges does not lead an easy transition to glass.

my 2 cents, worth only as much as you paid for it. YMMV

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP Hartzell 2 Blade (Refurbing a Catta 3 blade Carbon)
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - GFC500
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
Old 09-29-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneves View Post
The scans are VERY different, conditioning with steam gauges does not lead an easy transition to glass.

my 2 cents, worth only as much as you paid for it. YMMV
After 30 years as a cfii, hereís my 2 cents worth:
1. Going from steam to glass is not too difficult; going from glass to steam is harder.
A lot of ifr is preparing for problems, like equipment failures.
2. The biggest differences I see are not specifically steam-glass, but rather gps moving map vs none. If I fail the gps during an IPC, give the pilot a few vectors, then ask for a random hold, the guy who learned without gps can do it. If I ask him to point towards the airport, and about how far away it is (in minutes), he can point to it and estimate the time. If I do the same thing with someone who learned with a moving map, itís chaos. The hold might be anywhere; he has no idea where the airport is. Fortunately gps failures are fairly rare, but when it happens, it isnít pretty.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
2. The biggest differences I see are not specifically steam-glass, but rather gps moving map vs none. If I fail the gps during an IPC, give the pilot a few vectors, then ask for a random hold, the guy who learned without gps can do it. If I ask him to point towards the airport, and about how far away it is (in minutes), he can point to it and estimate the time. If I do the same thing with someone who learned with a moving map, itís chaos. The hold might be anywhere; he has no idea where the airport is. Fortunately gps failures are fairly rare, but when it happens, it isnít pretty.
Completely understand and agree, my comment was more around the actual gauges and not navigation methods as well as learning in a steam aircraft because finding a DPE for EAB is difficult only to go off and fly a different setup later. I value your experience and enjoy picking up knowledge like you provided with regards to navigation methods and the dependence on the moving map.

This is a learning moment that I plan to take away and work on with my CFI. We have become very pendant on the moving map and can see the value in spending time working without it more often. Next lesson Iíll ask we use nav radio only and do that more often going forward. I donít want to be the guy squirming in my seat because I lost modern tech when there are perfectly good options.

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP Hartzell 2 Blade (Refurbing a Catta 3 blade Carbon)
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - GFC500
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
Old 09-30-2021, 12:55 AM

Joe Justice in CMA is a dpe who has done IFR tests in an experimental airplane.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa View Post
It's tough. I did it a few years ago in my -7, and half of the DPEs around the Bay Area wouldn't do experimental, the other half wouldn't do tailwheel. I did mine with Richard Batchelder out of CCR, not sure if he does experimentals still. If I were to do it again, I'd seriously consider renting a Cessna for a few hours.
Batchelder would have trouble getting in and out of an RV. I'm based out of Napa and used Henry Robertson in Chico. He's now retired but his son still does them. I did my checkride in my 9A for IFR.