What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix tail light ADS-B out

N605RV

from the looks of it many 'pros' (simple) but are there any 'cons' to the uAvionics tail mounted installation and function?

A friend was a beta tester with a RV-4. Worked for him.

I feared hitting it with my Bogert tow bar as the tail light is so low. I went with the Skybeacon, I already had the Grimes Nav lights on the wingtips in the right spot for clearance.

For now, IF you are big on UAT "anonymous" mode, the beacons' host transponder must be pinged once per minute by ATC radar to be anonymous and it is not Anonymous until it sees a 1200 reply starting to actually leave your transponder in radar coverage.

Another possible con: Only useful in the US, as it's 978MHz out. Canada is going with 1090MHz, so when/if it's mandated up here you may not be able to visit.

I have the Tailbeacon on my -4. A tiny bit of extra care is needed to avoid it with the tow bar but it is only slightly bigger than the tail light it replaced. I have the old style tailwheel.

It took me all of 30 minutes to install and setup. The longest part was unscrewing the rudder fairing and putting it back on. My wires were just a tiny bit too short.

Back