What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tell Me Northwest Painter Recommendations

RV7ator

Well Known Member
Once again I'm looking for an RV painter. Living in Boise, anyone within 400nm is possible, which pretty much means west of the continental divide and into NV and AZ, excluding Kalifornia. I'll take the flying -7 to them, no converting my hangar into a paint booth, or hauling pieces to a body shop. I already know about Matthews, Stahr, Classic Aircraft Restoration, and Straube.

John Siebold

recommendation

Even though you have indicated that you are aware of John Stahr, it's hard for me to imagine that you could find an aircraft painter who brings the same combination of artistic skill, knowlege, devotion to his craft and value as John does. So at the risk of being redundant, I recommend him highly

I don't know if they are interested in any paint projects, but you might give John Stene at Stene Aviation (8S1) a call. John built, and painted, a really nice RV-8 and just finished painting his C195. http://www.steneaviation.com

If he isn't interested he will likely have some alternatives for you.

If you primed any of your internals, you could paint your own plane, with a HVLP from HF, go out and buy a pint of paint, shoot a panel, and make a decision. I am doing my own paint and it had been very............rewarding:D

Let's try a different tack: Besides positive recommendations, have any VAFers come across shops to avoid - and why?

Even learning of a shop's existence is somewhat like mining bitcoins.

John Siebold

I personally think you should expand your geographical area, John. The difference in costs can be very substantial.

I had my airplane painted in Oklahoma City. It's not the world's greatest paint job, but I was not as demanding as some, and have had nothing but unsolicited comments from others about how great the paint job is. I'm happy with it.

The cost was $5300. Comparable NW costs were in the $10-13K range PLUS the contribution to the Governor, easily making the difference about $6-10K.

I have read here reports of great painters in other areas of the country. For the kind of savings we're talking about, you can easily pay for a couple of airline tickets and other travel costs, still save a ton of $$$ - AND - you get the fun of a nice couple of cross-country's in your airplane.

Something to think about.

i-dV9Vfnd-L.jpg

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

It's Gillis Aeropaint:

Gillis Aeropaint

Address: Tuttle, OK 73089
Grady OK
Tel: (405) 381 3671
http://www.gillisaeropaint.com

About Gillis Aeropaint

We have been providing custom painting designs to homebuilt RV aircraft enthusiasts since 1985. We are known as a Vans airplane painter and have a gallery of work on our website.

--------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, Don, I believe Calvin has retired in the past year or so - his website has gone down and he seems to not be soliciting business any longer - but you could try giving him a call. He did a lot of RV's!

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

Back