What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Never Buying Online Metals Again

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. I am not the type to rant publicly, but this needs to be addressed. I'll try to keep it brief.

I placed an order with Online Metals for a custom cut piece of aluminum to be used as side skins for my tip up canopy. Ten days later, no strip. After I inquire, I was told there was no record of the item being shipped and that the order would go out right away. Three days later it arrived. A similar order prior to that was received in 3 days...shipped to Ohio. 13 days is not the end of the world, but irritating knowing other orders were received in 3-4 days.

My last order was deplorable. Another order placed for a custom cut piece of aluminum for the "targa" strip over my tip up canopy. The piece arrived taped to a piece of wood, inside a large, heavy cardboard tube. The piece was bent/creased and unusable. It was very clearly damaged prior to shipment. Again, I notify Online Metals and was sent a replacement. That replacement arrived today. It was only packed inside the cardboard tube, no wood and was completely mangled. Again very clearly damaged prior to shipping and clearly damaged on purpose. That's right; on purpose!

If anyone can provide me an email address, I would like to send pictures to them, so that they may post the pictures here for me and everyone will see exactly what I am talking about.

I will be sending a letter and pictures to their corporate office in Seattle WA. I don't expect anything to come of it, but I will keep this forum updated if they respond.

I personally will never do business with Online Metals ever again.

I've used them for years, especially on stainless tubing.
Never had an issue. Try Phone: +1.800.704.2157 they ship to me generally out of Atlanta---so maybe thats why I havent had issues.

Tom

Howdy everyone. I am not the type to rant publicly, but this needs to be addressed. I'll try to keep it brief.

I placed an order with Online Metals for a custom cut piece of aluminum to be used as side skins for my tip up canopy. Ten days later, no strip. After I inquire, I was told there was no record of the item being shipped and that the order would go out right away. Three days later it arrived. A similar order prior to that was received in 3 days...shipped to Ohio. 13 days is not the end of the world, but irritating knowing other orders were received in 3-4 days.

My last order was deplorable. Another order placed for a custom cut piece of aluminum for the "targa" strip over my tip up canopy. The piece arrived taped to a piece of wood, inside a large, heavy cardboard tube. The piece was bent/creased and unusable. It was very clearly damaged prior to shipment. Again, I notify Online Metals and was sent a replacement. That replacement arrived today. It was only packed inside the cardboard tube, no wood and was completely mangled. Again very clearly damaged prior to shipping and clearly damaged on purpose. That's right; on purpose!

If anyone can provide me an email address, I would like to send pictures to them, so that they may post the pictures here for me and everyone will see exactly what I am talking about.

I will be sending a letter and pictures to their corporate office in Seattle WA. I don't expect anything to come of it, but I will keep this forum updated if they respond.

hey Mike,

It really is pretty easy to add pictures now. When you create a new post, look above the text at the top, in the middle is a little icon that looks like a paper clip. Click on it. On the screen that pops up you can then navigate to wherever on your computer the picture is. Choose the file. Click the upload button. It will then show up on your post.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Thanks for the picture upload update!

Attached is a picture of the first piece which was bent in the middle, (Right) the other piece is what was shipped as a replacement. Absolutely outrageous!

I will be looking for other aluminum vendors; thanks for the tips.

Attachments

• DJI_0655.jpg
    DJI_0655.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 540

---Email: [email protected]

I bought three 2’ X 4’ pieces of 2024T3 alclad from Aircraft Spruce in July (.025, .032, & .040), and it was $147., which included shipping. I tried first to get it at Metals Supermarket because it’s 4 miles away and I wouldn’t have to wait or pay shipping. I’ve purchased random pieces from them before many times, but for this they said I would have to order it. No problem, I can still pick it up. Online order came back with “we can’t get alclad aluminum”. So I requested a quote for the same thing in non-alclad - same sizes as I later got from Spruce. The quote was almost $900.00!! I called them and said they must have made a mistake, I only needed 2’ X 4’ pieces. They said nope, that’s the correct pricing. $275 - 300+ for each piece. Wow! That’s a precious metal….

Online metals

I just received a 12” x 72” T3 2024 Aluminum sheet from Online Metals. It was soooo well wrapped, on wood boards, secured with plenty of cushion and wrapping. Perfect condition. And, only $15 shipping.:D
Really happy with their service.

Back