What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Great State of Michigan Fly-Out List... and one in ohio.

Jvon811

Well Known Member
I made up this list of all the known (to me) fly-out places to go eat in Michigan. It's a living list so this hyperlink should always be the most current. I'm working on it daily at this point as more and more idea's come in to me (mostly via Facebook groups). "Restaurant" hyperlinks take you to their respective websites and "Directions" hyperlinks take you to the Google Maps walking directions/location.

Being that our airplanes make the $100 Hamburger Run relatively economical and we can go a bit further distances than most in a short amount of time, I figured I'd extend the list to the good folks of VAF and those outside Michigan. Enjoy! (even if you're from ohio)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F498lhash9qjIWDM0SY-6fzUn_QXrv0D/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Don't forget KMCD, Mackinac Island Airport, a nice walk to many places to eat, and of course the fudge

Justin,

How do we send you additions?

Do I need to bookmark this link to find it in the future?

Thanks

Jim Butcher
2C5
N241BW

Don't forget KMCD

I did forget... That's a good one. My sister used to live there and I sort of got burnt out. It is a nice place although it requires a 2 mile walk into town. I believe there are some bicycles at the airport for "Airport Use" but otherwise it requires a Taxi ride. The rest of the airport/restaurant combo's on the list are either 1) on the field, 2) less than a 15 min walk, 3) or a crew car readily available.

And Jim, you can put additions right here and I can add them to the list. I check VAF regularly.

You may also bookmark that link. It's a live link so as I update that file, it should show you the most current version.

Justin,
Another one near Pellston - The DLB (Douglas Lake Bar). It’s probably about a mile down Douglas Lake road, right across from the airport, but if you can’t get the crew car, usually one of the FBO guys will give you a ride. Excellent fresh perch, white fish, etc. Family owned for many years. However, they are closing starting in December because of the COVID surge and probably won’t open until May 1, about the time the snow melts.

Thanks guys! I've added some* of them to the list. My hope is that when the pandemic lightens up and the world gets back to normal, we can all frequent these great local businesses and enjoy exploring parts of Michigan we may not have been to yet.

Amongst the FNT local's, we were even thinking about a patch or something for completing The List. I know other states have Passports or jackets for doing similar tasks. Michigan has nothing like this that I'm aware of.

*I did some digging and research on all of those places suggested. Some of the suggestions I couldn't put on the list because they were either gas station food, 1/5 star reviews, the airport doesn't have a published crew car (I avoid taxi expenses), or national fast food chains. Thank you for the input though.

Thanks Justin

By the middle of next year Covid will be history and we'll be into the roaring twenties. We'll see you and go for the patch.

Back