What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A and 7 Fuse Kit Differences

RV7ator

Well Known Member
Gang,

By tomorrow, I need a quick education on the principle component differences between the as-crated 7A and 7 Fuselage kits. Reason being I'm thinking of acquiring a 7A fuse kit and building it out as a 7. I know the A has main gear support weldments, the 7 a tail spring mount weldment and the tail wheel spring assy.

Are the main gear legs the same?

Any thing else?

I believe slider v. tip-up fuse kits are only different in the top skin above the baggage area, and the forward top skin and supporting structure.

Any biggies I'm missing?

John Siebold

Last edited:
On a 9A fuse kit change to a 9. I found out the mains are different length and you will get the tailwheel bulkheads and tailwheel assy. Ask Vans for the 7A to 7 conversion kit. I would bet the 7 conversion kit would be similiar to that on the 9

There are not many different parts in the fuselage kit. I did exactly the same thing.

If you look at the plans you can figure out the parts pretty quickly.

Here are the main items:
Gussets where the -7a gear weldments go (7-114-R/L)
Covers for the front spar and fuel lines (7-782A-R/L)
Tail wheel weldment and assembly (WD-409-PC & U-FSTW-ASSY)

DWG-35 and DWG-34

The A fuselage has gearleg brackets that mount in front of the spar. The taildragger version has a metal bracket riveted in the tail, along with an extra bulkhead.

You might have to unrivet the tail section to install the tailwheel stinger.

The engine mounts are different.

Try using the advanced search. A number of people have converted their A to taildraggers and vis-a-versa.

As for the slider vs. tip-up, the foreskin is different as is the skin that goes above the baggage compartment. I believe the front support structure is different as well.

That would be one thing that I would take what you get. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I believe there is a doubled skin and an extra bulkhead in the tailcone. I installed the extra in my 9a in case some future owner wished to convert. Check that out as well before proceeding. 7a and 9a share these components.

Back