What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto 3 bladed prop install

dan carley

Well Known Member
i'm putting a 3 bladed prop on my rv4, just wondering what position should be the prop installed?

thank you
dan carley

Clocking on a 3-blade is not that critical. There are 2 positions it will stop. I installed mine so that it stops with one blade down. Occasionally it will stop with one blade up but since cylinders seldom have the exact same compression. It will stop in the same position most of the time.

tongue firmly in cheek....

i'm putting a 3 bladed prop on my rv4, just wondering what position should be the prop installed? thank you
dan carley

.....I'm glad Mel responded before all the smart alecks!!!

I was thinkin'....'the pointy end'...but then that would really be for a pusher prop, right????:rolleyes:

When I put a Catto on I recall it being helpful to mark the part orientation in whatever position chosen for easier re-installation at a later date. There will be the prop, crush plate, possibly forward and aft spinner plates plus a spinner. It is easy to get them out of correct position without some sort of marking.

On a tail wheel it really does not matter, on my nose wheel I prefer one blade straight up. It makes it easy for the towbar attach and I don't need to rotate the prop everytime. :)

Catto 3-blade mount

Dan,
Not mounting related...what are the specs on your prop? I'm on my second 3-blade to meet my expectations.

prop

dave,
i sent it back to catto to repitch it. it was 62x72 now 64 x72 before it was going over 3000 rpms at full throttle. and not really pulling at top end. let you know how it works

any one else have numbers on there 3 bladed prop?

dan

Catto 3-blade

Dan..
Results from my second 3-blade (mfg in August 2014)
Average at 3000'. Yet to test at 8000'.
I'm at sealevel South Louisiana
WOT
2800rpm/168kts
2700rpm/160kts
2600rpm/150kts
2500rpm/145kts
This is a 67x70 3-blade NLE
My first, (mfg in Jan. 2014)
Was a 67x72 3-blade NLE
Average 165kts wot 3000rpm
160hp true stock RV-4 tall gear, 12"cowl/spinner.
Keep me posted...

prop

hi dave
went flying today,
at 2500 rpm 175 mph
wot 2800 rpm 205 mph

and the prop was very smooth no vibrations
i'm impressed

danny

Back