What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

xcountry trip planned later this year

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I'm planning a xcountry trip later this year between Aug-Oct. I'm flying from Florida and headed up to Montana and down the west coast and then across Arizona. I would like to fly into some neat airports, backcountry strips, fly over scenic areas, places to stop overnight, etc. I'm not opposed to flying a zig zagged route.

Thanks!

Red Lodge MT is a pretty dang cool airport. There is a nice walking trail that goes down the side of the bluff right into town, some nice restaurants to eat at. It has the small town feel (because it is) but it is still one active small town!

Attachments

• red.JPG
    red.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 235
+1 on Red Lodge, MT. I stopped in for the night last July, walked to the Yodeler hotel, then up the street for beer/food. Just a nice place for an overnight.

Then you gotta hit Johnson Creek, ID. Because, duh, it’s Johnson Creek!

If you end up towards Seattle, look at Auburn (S50) just south of SEA as a good overnight stop; park on the south transient ramp and walk 100 yards to the Days Inn. I stayed here for 2 days while flying around the Puget Sound area; it’s not fancy, but convenient as a hub while out flying around exploring.

A stop I made for absolutely no reason at all was at Porthill, Idaho (1S1), way up on the Canadian border. There’s nothing there but a gas station/store and the border crossing, but it’s just a lovely grass strip set in a wide valley surrounded by big ol’ mountains. For me coming from the Texas Gulf Coast, that was all the reason I needed.

Johnson Creek

I remember seeing pics from someone on the forum a yr or two ago. This is exactly what I’m looking for. And I definitely will be landing at Red Lodge.
Thanks, keep them coming

Bonners Ferry Idaho for ice cream and cheap gas.
Sullivan Lake (09S) is a great grass strip with some nice swimming. and camping.
Moose Creek Idaho (1U1) I like Johnson creek as you could land anything on it but it really doesn't get nicer than Moose Creek. Bring a fishing pole and a tent! Don't tell anyone I told you, matter of fact just don't go there, you will hate it. No Internet, no vehicles, only way in is by plane. Totally Sucks!

Orcas Island (ORS), easy walk to town, camping on the field, use it as a staging area for visiting the San Juan Islands.

Hood River (Jernstead 4S2) has a great museum.

Mcminnville (MMV), also a great museum including the Spruce Goose

Copalis (S16) Beach Landing if low tide

Nehalem Bay (3S7) nice camping and easy access to the beach.

some ideas in S California

Catalina Island KAVX. Scenic. Restaurant at the airport. Maybe an option for overnight. But if you do plan this one, ask us for a briefing. Ex: most flying clubs prohibit this airport without an airport specific checkout.

Thermal (near Palm Springs) - KTRM - because then you can say you've flow below sea level. But a miserable place in late summer. HOT! I'd say Death Valley, but that would be worse.

Chino - KCNO - great aircraft museum. Fly in, park, and see a lot.

Bonners Ferry Idaho for ice cream and cheap gas.
What? Cheap gas AND ice cream?? I had no idea, but flew right over it... that’s it, I gotta go back!

To add a coupla more SoCal airports;
Kern Valley (L05). Cool airport with a diner.
Santa Paula (SZP). Go on a weekend when hangars are opened up, it’s like a museum with tons of cool stuff to look at.

Back