What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

four rivets ?

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Page 29-17 , figure 2 has you dimple four holes each part #40. Page 29-18, step #8, tells you to use figure #1 but should be figure #2. Top right of figure calls out 2 CCR3213-4-3 ( I believe that is a typo , Should be called CR3213-4-3) ,this is a #4 and round head. The hole is countersunk and a #40.
There is a 1/4" hole that lines up with the countersunk holes that is in the flap block bracket that is already riveted on and I'm thinking on using a AN426AD3-3.5 rivet in the two on the F-14120-l-R wing root fairings. I think I can made something with mass and have a 1/4" dia. punch for a bucking bar.
I do not see a #3 cherrymax rivet listed on ACS, are they available?

Ron, those two rivets were meant to be called out as CCR264SS-3-2 Rivets. You can see the heads of the ones we used on the prototype RV-14 on 29-18 Figure 3. There ought to be 12 of those rivets in your fuse kit.

A change to the plans is forthcoming.

Bringing up old thread as I have got to this point and read elsewhere that the rivets called out here in revision 2 were to be used only for nutplates. It just seems these are very flimsy rivet for such a location.
Has anyone else had the same thoughts ?

Bringing up old thread as I have got to this point and read elsewhere that the rivets called out here in revision 2 were to be used only for nutplates. It just seems these are very flimsy rivet for such a location.
Has anyone else had the same thoughts ?

When you are not the designer of the aircraft, that thought process is a good one to follow, and if you ever choose to substitute CCR rivets in locations that AN rivets were specified you should only do it in applications that you know for sure are not structural (attaching nutplates, etc.)
In this case, it was the designers that choose the use of the CCR rivet where the attachment is just two (of many) rivets in an angle that will be used to attach a nonstructural fairing.

Thanks Scott for your prompt reply. I had just thought a mk-319 rivet may have been better in that location but I am not the designer so will follow the revised instructions.

Back