What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage centre section question please

swift12

Well Known Member
Hi. So my 7 fuse is crating very soon I have been told. As in the next few days. My wing has been delayed so I want to crack on with the fuse and starting to buy a couple of tools. I’ll start the bulkheads etc and get all the edges done. Basically do all I can awaiting longerons etc. yep I know about the center section parts. My question is there are little spacers made by Buller for the Center section I believe you make out of wood and as I’m buying their longeron bending tool I might as well get those spacers but they come in different sizes? Do I need to buy these after some processes have been done (or make them if I’m not being lazy) or can I buy a set and make to that size? If it’s too early I’ll leave them off the order and probably make them but I’m buying that bending tool because I ain’t whacking those longerons with a hammer. Cheers.

I might have just answered my own question…I read the blurb on the spacer kits and obviously I need to measure those bits clamped together first….is the vans measurement too small on the plans?

Buller spacers

I might have just answered my own question…I read the blurb on the spacer kits and obviously I need to measure those bits clamped together first….is the vans measurement too small on the plans?

The longeron bending tool is awesome.
It would be good to wait on the spacers. Typically he makes them about .005" thicker than the wing spar. It really helps to have your wing spars to get an exact measurement. When the tolerances are perfect, the wings slide in so nice. That said, I've heard of builders using none or just wood blocks so I suppose it works just fine as long as the space is bigger than the wing spar.:eek:

I assume you mean the spacers between the front and rear spar carrythrough where the wing spars attach. Do not make them out of wood, it swells/shrinks depending on the relative humidity. I made mine out of 1" round Delrin (acetal) which is much more stable.

The longeron bending tool is awesome.
It would be good to wait on the spacers. Typically he makes them about .005" thicker than the wing spar. It really helps to have your wing spars to get an exact measurement. When the tolerances are perfect, the wings slide in so nice. That said, I've heard of builders using none or just wood blocks so I suppose it works just fine as long as the space is bigger than the wing spar.:eek:

Thank you. Just the info I was after. I hold on the spacers and either order them afterwards as you suggest or make them out of acetal as terry suggests below. I have no excuses as I have a lathe to not make them except for time and inaccurate turning as my lathe is a good old Chinese POS. I could turn them down to plus minus 1 thou I guess so probably try that first. I have just ordered the tool from Buller for the longerons. Thanks for your opinion on it. It just looks and sounds a lot better than my hammer! Cheers

I assume you mean the spacers between the front and rear spar carrythrough where the wing spars attach. Do not make them out of wood, it swells/shrinks depending on the relative humidity. I made mine out of 1" round Delrin (acetal) which is much more stable.

Thanks Terry noted. I do have some acetal in my “turning draw” scrap bin so I’ll try that first. Cheers g

Back