What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plexiglass window - how to attach?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello everyone, I'm working on the aft cover plates and decided to install a little window in each one for inspection of the elevator horn bolt. However, when trying to rivet I cracked a piece off (luckily I didn't hit me in the face cuz holy cow it had speed!). I had a feeling it might but I tried anyways.

How would you guys attached these? The holes are already drilled so getting away with just proseal may be out now. Do they make a super soft rivet? Thanks!

20190302_192518 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

clamp it or glue it

Either make a couple of joggled sheet metal brackets to clamp the plexiglas in place (rivet the sheet metal). Or, you can just use a little bit of adhesive (RTV, Pro-Seal, epoxy, etc.) and just glue the plexiglas in place. Don't try to squeeze the rivets in the brittle plexiglas.

Or just make another access cover. and proseal it..it's just a small piece of aluminum. Biggest cost there would just be your time.

Those are nice to have to see that one fastener, but what about the other three that are on the two push pull elevator tubes? on preflight I grab both elevators and lift on one and push on the other and vise versa, looking feeling for any play. This will show if the elevator horns are loose on that one fastener.

Thanks for the replies guys, I like the little clip idea with a redo of the covers if that doesn't work. Brett I hear ya, I just think this is a cool little mod. A guy could put two more windows to take care of the other 3 but I don't know I would go that far, especially since I'm using MS17825 nuts and drilled bolts.

I did a similar thing for my wing inspection plates. I used polycarbonate rather than acrylic, added an aluminum doubler/backing plate and used CS-4-4 blind rivets.

Lot's of great suggestions here guys. Here is what I ended up with. I would certainly do this differently next time but since I already had holes drilled this was the ticket. I have a lower ring that is slightly larger than the plexi. Above the plexi there is a retaining ring to hold it down. Works great and fits on the plane. Job done, if anyone is planning on this little mod I highly recommend just prosealing the plexi on or choosing a different material.

Now where else can I put some windows... :D

20190303_143254 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20190303_143250 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Back