What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to build next?

Lefty37

I'm coming to the end of the work on the tail of my RV-7, and I don't want a long break in building, so I want to order the next set of components soon. I was wondering, which part is best to build next, the wings or the fuselage? Thanks!

I'm coming to the end of the work on the tail of my RV-7, and I don't want a long break in building, so I want to order the next set of components soon. I was wondering, which part is best to build next, the wings or the fuselage? Thanks!

Personally I go for the fuselage next. It takes longer to build and is easier to move around after completion. Wing construction goes very fast.

I'd do the wings. They're easier to store, being flat, and when you get to the fuselage, you'll probably want to start installing the engine and systems soon after. The wings aren't needed for most of that and can be tied against a wall or something.

And that's the order I did them for my RV-3B, now starting to add the systems etc. Very glad that the wings are out at the hangar and the fuselage is here in the shop where it's easy to get to.

Dave

Personally I go for the fuselage next. It takes longer to build and is easier to move around after completion. Wing construction goes very fast.

Can you order the fuse without the wings or before the wings? My 7 wing kit came with the center section spars that were a matched set with the wing spars. You need these to build the fuse.

Can you order the fuse without the wings or before the wings? My 7 wing kit came with the center section spars that were a matched set with the wing spars. You need these to build the fuse.

I’m not sure if they’re a matched set. I purchased a wing kit from someone and when I ordered the QB fuse a few months ago, they had me send back those center section pieces since they were supplied with the pre-built fuse. I could be wrong but I know they didn’t require my exact ones to complete my fuse.

I did wings first as the fuse would be last because of the whole buy the avionics last idea.

Wings first

I would build wings first for reasons mentioned. With CNC parts the center section no longer has to be matched to the spars. However, destructions get really abbreviated on the fuse. It helps to have that experience in the builder bank.

I would build wings first for reasons mentioned. With CNC parts the center section no longer has to be matched to the spars. However, destructions get really abbreviated on the fuse. It helps to have that experience in the builder bank.

I can 2nd that on the match set question, QB wings from another builder, a center section from another kit, and a factory SB fuse kit matched up fine.

Back