Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2021, 08:28 PM

The relative long runways worked out for him, 3400 and 4000 feet. From the video, he barely cleared the airport fence perimeter. I also think the airplane was light weight for the test flight. I also think it probably will not make it back at gross. However, there is a lot of flat terrain around the airport. It helps to have all the odds on your side.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2022
Old 11-25-2021, 09:39 PM

The way to optimize the turn back is to pull as close as you can to stall without stalling. Of course that is dangerous bordering on insane but thatís what the math says works. Lift is everything and drag is secondary. So unless you pull aggressively you arenít going to make it. Im not sure what technique was being used in these tests.
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 11-26-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack View Post
The way to optimize the turn back is to pull as close as you can to stall without stalling. Of course that is dangerous bordering on insane but thatís what the math says works. Lift is everything and drag is secondary. So unless you pull aggressively you arenít going to make it. Im not sure what technique was being used in these tests.
Yep. Best glide speed goes out the window in the impossible turn. The size of the turn radius (i.e. distance flown) is what will makes the difference between making the runway or not. Unfortunately, this means flying a steep turn, near stall (think best endurance glide, not best glide angle) with elevated load factor. This is not the best safety recipe for low altitude flightÖ

Skylor
Old 11-26-2021, 03:08 PM

You don't need to fly on the edge of a stall to make it from 500' in a RV-4. Engine out I aim for 90 mph, 45 degrees of bank or so. You can make your job easier by always setting up for a turn back by offsetting down wind (let any crosswind blow you off the center line once a rejected take-off is not an option).
Fly coordinated (no skids near the ground). Start your practice at 1,000 AGL and gradually work down to see what you are comfortable with.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Turnback

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
You don't need to fly on the edge of a stall to make it from 500' in a RV-4. Engine out I aim for 90 mph, 45 degrees of bank or so. You can make your job easier by always setting up for a turn back by offsetting down wind (let any crosswind blow you off the center line once a rejected take-off is not an option).
Fly coordinated (no skids near the ground). Start your practice at 1,000 AGL and gradually work down to see what you are comfortable with.
Finally someone who understands what I have been saying for a long time. In addition if you are in a side by side aircraft, in non crosswind conditions, immediately offset to the right (terrain permitting) so you will be able to keep the runway in sight on the left side in a climb.
The people who say that more than 240 degrees of turn is required are wrong. In my Wittman Tailwind the sink rate gets too high below 75 knots so that is my target speed.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:05 AM

Interesting discussion and there may be some misconceptions. All things being equal, weight is not going to change the glide distance. You may have to change speed to compensate for a heavier aircraft and you wonít have as much time to figure things out, but you will end up at the same place on the ground. Wind will play an effect on this too but donít think you can glide farther just because youíre light.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab View Post
.... Wind will play an effect on this too but donít think you can glide farther just because youíre light.
Thinking about weight. When flying glider, I get the better glide with more ballast. Given the low glide ratio of these short winged powered airplanes, the gliding distance won't be a factor. The speed will be higher for higher weight though, and it means higher energy at touchdown.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Cowl completed. Baffle 90%
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2022
Old 11-27-2021, 12:45 PM

Default Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatRV View Post
Thinking about weight. When flying glider, I get the better glide with more ballast. Given the low glide ratio of these short winged powered airplanes, the gliding distance won't be a factor. The speed will be higher for higher weight though, and it means higher energy at touchdown.
Good to see someone who understands weight. Weight won't matter much, especially for the two seat and single seat EAB. In a jet airliner say in the 110k max gross weight range, max landing weight approximately 99k, weight with crew and min fuel 65k: At max landing weight the airplane from 30'000' to sea level will typically travel 90 nm in high speed descent. At minimum weight approximately 60 nm. Idle power, 300 kts indicated to 10'000' and then 250. Same principle in glider except the glider pilot plays a guessing game with lift. Heavier weight reduces rate of climb but increases glide performance.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:51 PM

Default Turns

There are people who discuss the turnback as a 90/270 turn. Charlie Precourt in Sport Aviation series on the subject states a minimum of 190 to 210 degrees of turn. The 90/270 has no place in this discussion UNLESS very unusual high terrain or obstruction is involved almost at the departure end of the runway.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:27 PM

I'm not sure I would cherish landing in a crowded urban neighborhood. The takeaway is don't stall. If you don't make it back level the wings and land straight ahead at minimal speed. Generally, the stuff inside the perimeter fence is better than the stuff outside with folks there to give you some help.

Last edited by swjohnsey : 11-27-2021 at 01:32 PM.