camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2021, 09:07 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
My buddy, who is pretty smart about avionics, mentioned that one problem I might have is having to do a little re-pinning to get the IFD440 connected properly to my GMA340 audio panel. Anyone have some experience with that configuration?
I have replaced a couple of 430W’s with 440’s, and the audio worked just fine with my standard GMA audio panels. However, there is supposedly the capability to use the “standby monitor” function in the 440 that I have been told ONLY works with the Avidyne audio panel. Since i have two Comms in both airplanes in which I have these installations, researching and figuring out of there is a way to make that function with a GMA has never risen high enough on my priority list …. That might be what your buddy is talking about?

In any case, slide the unit in and it SHOULD work the same as the 430W was working.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-19-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I have replaced a couple of 430W’s with 440’s, and the audio worked just fine with my standard GMA audio panels. However, there is supposedly the capability to use the “standby monitor” function in the 440 that I have been told ONLY works with the Avidyne audio panel. Since i have two Comms in both airplanes in which I have these installations, researching and figuring out of there is a way to make that function with a GMA has never risen high enough on my priority list …. That might be what your buddy is talking about?

In any case, slide the unit in and it SHOULD work the same as the 430W was working.

Paul
Thanks Flight. I think that's exactly what he was talking about.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 11-24-2021, 06:07 PM

The install was pretty straightforward as ya'll suggested. It took about 20 minutes including the configuration. The settings weren't exactly the same as the 430, but pretty close. Comms work great, but by the time I got the thing installed and the battery changed on the ELT, I was cold enough that I didn't feel like dragging it outside so it could see satellites and if it knew what to do with them. It did give me a magenta line to home, but it was from Melbourne, Florida. Somewhere, I also missed the setting to configure wifi and turn bluetooth on so I didn't set up the keyboard nor did I try to upload a flight plan from Foreflight. I'll get it tomorrow, and then maybe see if the thing will fly and maybe navigate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IFD440-1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	18697  Click image for larger version

Name:	IFD440-2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	18698  Click image for larger version

Name:	IFD440-3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	432.2 KB
ID:	18699  Click image for larger version

Name:	IFD440-5.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	18700  
bunch of other stuff
Old 11-24-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
The install was pretty straightforward as ya'll suggested. It took about 20 minutes including the configuration. The settings weren't exactly the same as the 430, but pretty close. Comms work great, but by the time I got the thing installed and the battery changed on the ELT, I was cold enough that I didn't feel like dragging it outside so it could see satellites and if it knew what to do with them. It did give me a magenta line to home, but it was from Melbourne, Florida. Somewhere, I also missed the setting to configure wifi and turn bluetooth on so I didn't set up the keyboard nor did I try to upload a flight plan from Foreflight. I'll get it tomorrow, and then maybe see if the thing will fly and maybe navigate.
Just what I needed, a big a$$ side of jealousy to go with my Thanksgiving turkey!
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 11-25-2021, 05:46 AM

Things didn't go so smoothly when I installed a 440 in place of a 430w. The 430w had great satellite lock, the 440 kept loosing satellite lock. Same tray, same gps antenna, the 430 held position, the 440 lost position every few minutes it seemed. I pulled the 440 out, put the 430w back, issue was completely gone; I pulled the 430w out put the 440 back, gps lock kept recurring.

The other issue, or concern I had, was the 440 ran hot. It was so hot it was uncomfortable to touch. I really wanted to like the 440. It offers much more capability than the 430w. Ultimately I removed the 440 and still run the 430w to this day.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
Things didn't go so smoothly when I installed a 440 in place of a 430w. The 430w had great satellite lock, the 440 kept loosing satellite lock. Same tray, same gps antenna, the 430 held position, the 440 lost position every few minutes it seemed. I pulled the 440 out, put the 430w back, issue was completely gone; I pulled the 430w out put the 440 back, gps lock kept recurring.

The other issue, or concern I had, was the 440 ran hot. It was so hot it was uncomfortable to touch. I really wanted to like the 440. It offers much more capability than the 430w. Ultimately I removed the 440 and still run the 430w to this day.
Yeah, they are known to run hot, so I read. I note that the guy who built my airplane apparently decided to cool the avionics stack with the GNS430W using air directed from the main cabin air vent. Did it ever shut down on you, or did you ever get an overtemp warning from the IFD440?

As to the satellite lock problem...how recently did you encounter that issue? What did Avidyne say about that?
bunch of other stuff
Old 11-25-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they are known to run hot, so I read. I note that the guy who built my airplane apparently decided to cool the avionics stack with the GNS430W using air directed from the main cabin air vent. Did it ever shut down on you, or did you ever get an overtemp warning from the IFD440?

As to the satellite lock problem...how recently did you encounter that issue? What did Avidyne say about that?
It never shutdown or displayed an overtemp warning. My 430 install included an avionics blast tube from a naca scoop for cabin ventilation. That was continued to be used with the 440.

The satellite lock problem was when I installed the 440 in May 2018. I contacted Avidyne and was asked where the GPS antenna was located. It was on a shelf in the empennage of my composite Lancair. They provided a copy of the install manual stating it must be installed on the exterior upper fuselage of the aircraft. Fair enough, my install wasn't compliant with the 440 install manual, but it worked fine with the 430...why could the 430 handle it and the 440 be unable? That difference and the painfully hot running box were 2 strikes for me; I didn't want to see the third strike while in IMC with only one IFR GPS.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
It never shutdown or displayed an overtemp warning. My 430 install included an avionics blast tube from a naca scoop for cabin ventilation. That was continued to be used with the 440.

The satellite lock problem was when I installed the 440 in May 2018. I contacted Avidyne and was asked where the GPS antenna was located. It was on a shelf in the empennage of my composite Lancair. They provided a copy of the install manual stating it must be installed on the exterior upper fuselage of the aircraft. Fair enough, my install wasn't compliant with the 440 install manual, but it worked fine with the 430...why could the 430 handle it and the 440 be unable? That difference and the painfully hot running box were 2 strikes for me; I didn't want to see the third strike while in IMC with only one IFR GPS.
Hmm..interesting. I haven't flown the thing yet, but firing it up on the ground after pulling it out of the hangar resulted in rapid satellite acquisition and entering a flight plan showed the usual magenta line, sent as usual to my EFIS and moving map as well as via a separate RS232 line to my G5. THAT was encouraging. Haven't checked the autopilot, so I don't know if ARINC is online.

I wonder if my WAAS antenna location will end up being a problem. It's mounted next to the upper firewall just under the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	waas.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	573.8 KB
ID:	18725  Click image for larger version

Name:	440 panel.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	18726  
bunch of other stuff
Old 11-26-2021, 11:28 AM

Default IFD to 340 wiring

Here is what we did when replacing a KX-165 and KLN-90B with an IFD-440. See attached image of the wiring schedule. In your case there should be even less to do as long as the Audio LO and HI signals are each separate pins from 430W.

The only thing you might want to do is repurpose a switchable audio input on the 340 (like ADF as we did) to allow you to listen to that standby audio. If you have two radios this is probably not a high priority but if the 430W was your only radio then that standby is really handy.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IFD-340.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	18737  
Old 11-26-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
Here is what we did when replacing a KX-165 and KLN-90B with an IFD-440. See attached image of the wiring schedule. In your case there should be even less to do as long as the Audio LO and HI signals are each separate pins from 430W.

The only thing you might want to do is repurpose a switchable audio input on the 340 (like ADF as we did) to allow you to listen to that standby audio. If you have two radios this is probably not a high priority but if the 430W was your only radio then that standby is really handy.

Neil
Thank you Neil, that's extremely helpful. I do only have one radio and standby audio would be very convenient.
bunch of other stuff