What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto Distributor cap screws

mikelupo

Patron
As you can see in the linked photo,
The right Mag’s distributor cap was near falling off.
What’s worse (not depicted) is the left Mag’s distributor cap was also half off. Oy Vay!!!

One screw was holding each distributor cap in place and even it was backing out.
I’ve temporarily replaced the screws with Stainless AN countersunk 8-32s but they are still not the correct screw. I’ll limit my flights till this is correctly restored.

Question: anyone know the right spruce part number for these? Mine were the slotted screw but I’d like to replace with the star screw type if I can.

https://storage.googleapis.com/cumulus-1-lupo-us-east-virgina-bucket-1/n10ys/B0DAAD6A-887A-4B0D-9BAF-3EF4507D89F4.jpeg

Thanks. I'll get those ordered. From the general photo, it looks like the star type.
I just can't believe that they backed out like that. Never seen this before. A new to me airplane as of last Oct. Condition inspection almost immediately in Dec. When I checked the mag timing, the caps were on firmly.

Last edited:
YOu should be able to get them at the hardware store. Pretty sure those screws are the std 82* heads and not the 100 AN screws.

Be sure they are not 10's though. I vaguely remember them being bigger than 8's.

Larry

@Larry You're right. I was able to find them at the local Ace Hardware. They're called Oval head machine screws. They are indeed #8. I didn't find them in the coveted star pattern but I did find them with either a slotted or Philips head, so I went with the Philips.
For good measure, I added a little dab of Loctite blue (removable) to the thread end.

I'm just not sure how those screws loosened up, but that could have been disastrous. I can thank a cracked cowl attach bracket for me having to de-cowl to repair. That's when I noticed that both distributor caps were hanging by a thread.
Wow. Just freggin WOW!

Thank you again for the suggestion.
Mike

Back