What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will Sky Echo II talk to G3X Touch?

Sportquattro

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

Does any knowledgeable person know if its possible to get a Sky Echo II to talk to and display ADS-B Traffic on a Garmin G3X Touch? Or if it can't display it on a G3X Touch if it will display it on Garmin Pilot iPad app instead?

I know it will work with Fore Flight and Sky Demon but I'm keen to use Garmin Pilot once the aircraft is flying (hopefully very soon)

Thanks in advance

Nige

RV9A G-CSAM @ EGTE 99% completed

Almost certainly "no" on both accounts. Unfortunately. Garmin does not play well with others. Especially a direct competitor like uAvionix who makes the Sky Echo product. I know of no modern Garmin flight decks or navigators that interface with any third-party data link hardware. Only their own (GDL = Garmin Data Link). Notwithstanding the hardware interface, Garmin does allow it's GDLs to talk to Foreflight for traffic/weather and allows flight plan transfer with Foreflight in some cases. But that's all software with Garmin selling the hardware. Garmin will not allow any of it's products to take "in" data from any other make, including Foreflight and uAvinonix ADS-B units.

Almost certainly "no" on both accounts. Unfortunately. Garmin does not play well with others. Especially a direct competitor like uAvionix who makes the Sky Echo product. I know of no modern Garmin flight decks or navigators that interface with any third-party data link hardware. Only their own (GDL = Garmin Data Link). Notwithstanding the hardware interface, Garmin does allow it's GDLs to talk to Foreflight for traffic/weather and allows flight plan transfer with Foreflight in some cases. But that's all software with Garmin selling the hardware. Garmin will not allow any of it's products to take "in" data from any other make, including Foreflight and uAvinonix ADS-B units.

Thanks Jim, I had a nasty feeling that might well be the case but ever the optimist

Looks like Sky Demon or Foreflight will have to be the solution.

Thanks again

Nige

Garmin is the Apple of Avionics. Microsoft, Tesla, Apple and Garmin are proprietary with no right to repair....

At long last Garmin Pilot now works with SkyEcho2 👍🍾😁

Made the change from Sky Demon to Garmin Pilot and couldn’t be happier as Garmin Pilot talks to my G3X Touch as well which Sky Demon wouldn’t.

All we need now is for Garmin to allow G3X Touch and SkyEcho2 to talk to each other and we will be really happy 😃

At long last Garmin Pilot now works with SkyEcho2 👍🍾😁

Made the change from Sky Demon to Garmin Pilot and couldn’t be happier as Garmin Pilot talks to my G3X Touch as well which Sky Demon wouldn’t.

All we need now is for Garmin to allow G3X Touch and SkyEcho2 to talk to each other and we will be really happy 😃

SkyDemon can talk to G3X but it has to do it via Garmin Pilot. Before ‘Go Flying’ in SkyDemon, select Share Route and send the flight plan to Garmin Pilot. You can then export it into the G3X. Works very well on my RV12.

SkyDemon can talk to G3X but it has to do it via Garmin Pilot. Before ‘Go Flying’ in SkyDemon, select Share Route and send the flight plan to Garmin Pilot. You can then export it into the G3X. Works very well on my RV12.

That's all very fine and dandy but why would you want to be paying two subscriptions (Garmin Pilot AND SkyDemon) just so you can export from SkyDemon to G3X Via Garmin Pilot ? Surely much better to simply use Garmin Pilot which from the first few flights I've done with it is much better than SkyDemon and talks to the G3X very easily.

Back