What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Printed Seat Belt Holder

Weasel

Well Known Member
Previously I made a seatbelt bracket out of foam and then covered it with fiberglass. Took a long time to smooth and make nice (~6-8hrs of labor).

Used the same dimensions and printed one for another RV-10. Took about 30 min to draw on Solidworks and then about 4 hrs to print but I just walked off and picked up the finished part later in the day. Much easier.

You can make one from here

32137698923_827846c5d6_b.jpg

32137694423_17eb811ffd_b.jpg

Here's a thought...

Are you going to make them available to folks who don't have the luxury of having access to a 3D printer? (For a nominal fee, of course!)

Are you going to make them available to folks who don't have the luxury of having access to a 3D printer? (For a nominal fee, of course!)

You don't have to have a 3d printer. If you have the source file there are places that will print it for you.

a quick search of google 3d print services and you will find a few ups stores have them. Don't know what they charge...

I'd be willing to make everyone that wants these a deal.

I have a 3D printer at school.

Let me see what it will cost me in material to print these, and (with the creators permission) I will print you a set for a donation to Tango Flight, our non-profit that is funding our RV-12 build (www.tangoflight.org).

I'll have to check pricing for material on Monday, but I think I can make these for quite a bit less than any of the online services, and you would be helping out my program!

-Dan

No. Not interested in getting into the printing service. as noted, there are many services available.

You don't have to have a 3d printer. If you have the source file there are places that will print it for you.

a quick search of google 3d print services and you will find a few ups stores have them. Don't know what they charge...

I'd be willing to make everyone that wants these a deal.

I have a 3D printer at school.

Let me see what it will cost me in material to print these, and (with the creators permission) I will print you a set for a donation to Tango Flight, our non-profit that is funding our RV-12 build (www.tangoflight.org).

I'll have to check pricing for material on Monday, but I think I can make these for quite a bit less than any of the online services, and you would be helping out my program!

-Dan

Dan, feel free to use the thingiverse file if donations go to your school project.

Which material

Weasel

In which material did you print your bracket?
Was it PLA?

That's because I'm trying to find someone to make the 3D print here in Portugal (Europe), and they ask me about the material

Thanks
Carlos

PLA

Not sure I would print it in PLA. PLA is more environmentally sensitive and may start to break down faster than you think. ABS is a good way to go or you could even print it in nylon if you want. I have had good luck with all of then on various projects but prefer PLA for things that won't be outside...

What is the difference if this bracket was made out of aluminum???

1. Weight
2. Cost of material
3. Time to produce

I printed it with 0.2mm layer height, 40% infill and 4 perimeters with 3 or 4 solid layers top and bottom.

Used ABS material.

Also printed it pretty slow. ~30-50mm/sec

I printed it with 0.2mm layer height, 40% infill and 4 perimeters with 3 or 4 solid layers top and bottom. Used ABS material. Also printed it pretty slow. ~30-50mm/sec

Thanks. Those look like good numbers to get a strong part of the size and shape of the belt holder.

Material

First, i must confess that I am an ignorant about this materials.
The only local 3D printer I found only prints in PLA and in PVC.
I hear that PLA is not good.
Does PVC looks good for this part?

Thanks
Carlos

PLA

Here is PLA vs ABS in a nutshell:

PLA (PolyLactic Acid) is a biopolymer, i.e., a biodegradable plastic. It is made from renewable raw materials such as cornstarch or sugarcane. Aside from 3D printing, it is typically used for packaging material, plastic wrap, plastic cups and plastic water bottles. It is considered to be more ecologically friendly than ABS ? after all, it?s made from plants.

ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene Styrene) is an oil-based plastic. It is a tough material that can be used to create robust plastic objects for everyday use, for example in cars, electrical equipment or even in the popular Lego bricks.

PLA is biodegradable, hence the caution to use it indoors away from UV and moisture which will cause it to degrade. ABS, however is a fairly tough material (ever step barefoot on a LEGO?) that does not degrade...

First, i must confess that I am an ignorant about this materials.
The only local 3D printer I found only prints in PLA and in PVC.
I hear that PLA is not good.
Does PVC looks good for this part?

Thanks
Carlos

Did they say what kind of 3D printer they have?

I didn't think PVC was a typical 3d printing material. Hopefully they didn't mean PVA .. if it is PVC, it'd probably be fine. How much does it cost to have printed?

Well, it is in a local Staples store, and I'm afraid the young man there was not better than me in knowing these materials ... :(

He asked 84 euros (around US$90, yikes!) for 1 piece, so I gave up.

I think I'll have to wait for someone in this group in the US to offer to produce some of these, and include myself in that group buy.

Or, if anyone of you has access to a 3D printer, and is willing to help me get one, it would be nice.

Thanks
Carlos

Weasel, what are the dimensions of this part? Not sure my little 3D printer is big enough to print one of these.

Thanks for sharing this, by the way!

For those of you interested in 3D printing, 3D printers are very cheap these days and are pretty fun to play with. Even if you aren't a CAD person, there are a ton of CAD files to print that are made public for everyone to use.

I think I'll have to wait for someone in this group in the US to offer to produce some of these, and include myself in that group buy.

Thanks
Carlos

Count me in for a Group buy too if there are enough of us to make it worthwhile.

Or if someone can point me in a company that can print it. 3dhubs yields zero results.

john

Weasel, what are the dimensions of this part? Not sure my little 3D printer is big enough to print one of these.

I have the Printrbot with 150 x 150 x 150cm table.
I could print it only at 90% of the Thingiverse .STL file. Full size did not fit.
Johan

Back