What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail wheel mount gap

Is there an “acceptable “ gap allowable between F-712 bulkhead and WD-409 taliwheel bracket. There was no gap when I riveted F-712, WD409 , and F-711 together on my bench. When I clecoed the aft fuselage shins together a 1/16” gap appeared on the top of the aft bulkhead. I removed the bolts from F-711 and WD409, and drilled out keeper rivets on F-712 to try to put a shim between F-711and WD-409 but it’s too tight to get a shim in there. It looks like the gap aft is only on the top inch or so. When I tap on the aft bulkhead it’s hollow sounding for the first inch where WD-409 mounts then sounds solid. Will it suck in when the vertical stab is installed? Thanks

There is not an acceptable gap for the tailwheel weldment. Mine had some variation in it as well, and I believe I had to stick a washer in where the bolts go through. There are variations in all weldments (unless they're machined post-welding), so it's just gonna happen. But you don't want any movement in that high stress area, so shim it flat before you bolt it together. Easier said than done, since it's a little tight in there, but it doesn't get any easier after the HS is installed.

Back