What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks HID bulbs

ge9a

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a line on replacement bulbs for Duckworks 55w HID's? I have one that is burned out and I suspect it is the bulb.

There are simply too many options to choose from when trying Amazon! I want to get the correct bulb.

Thanks!

I bought a 55w bulb at the local O'Reillys auto parts store for my rectangular DW landing light. It was a Sylvania and cost about $10.

Steve, did the bulbs from O'Reilly have correct connectors? I went to a Napa store yesterday and they said the didn't have anything that looked like my old bulb/wiring.

I went to a Napa store yesterday and they said the didn't have anything that looked like my old bulb/wiring.

Greg,

If you can't find them locally, send me your address in a PM. I have a lightly used set in my hangar from my original Duckworks setup.

Also a tip on the auto parts store....if it is not in the store, check their on line store. I've found not everything O'reilly sells is actually in the store....some things have to be pulled from a warehouse.

I noodled around on O'Reilly Auto Parts site and didn't find what I was looking for. Couldn't find anything that didn't have an automotive style base instead of the 'pigtails' for electrical connections.

I think I have a couple of leads on parts, one directly from Duckworks. Hopefully I'll have a replacement in a day or so.

Thanks for the responses.

Are you looking for the small MR16 HID bulbs that Duckworks sold for awhile as a tip light upgrade, or for PAR36 type bulbs?

If you find some MR16 HID bulbs I would love to know about it - I could use some spares.

Steve, did the bulbs from O'Reilly have correct connectors? I went to a Napa store yesterday and they said the didn't have anything that looked like my old bulb/wiring.

My mistake - the O'Reilly bulb I bought was halogen not HID. It came mounted in a plastic base/socket the same as the original DW item. There were no connectors - just about 4 inches of wire.
I ended up replacing the DW system with an LED unit anyway.

Well, it turns out my problem wasn't a bulb, but a ballast that died. Replaced the ballast (still using the original bulb) and all works again.

According to Richard at Duckworks, the bulbs rarely burn out. I am wig-wagging my HID lights, but warming them up for 50 seconds before wig-wagging.

So, if anyone else has this problem, don't assuming it is a bulb when it stops working.

Back